• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In The Uk, do they call it "Pokemon Centre"?

MasterTrainer

Connosieur of Excellence
Reaction score
The Pokemon games are first released in the US after Japan. Europe does soon follow. However, do the Pokemon versions released in the UK get translated from US spellings to British spellings?

A quick check could be you (using your game bought in Britain) going to your local Pokemon centER and reading its signpost in game. Does it read "Pokemon Centre?"

If it doesn't, then does it bother you that only American spellings are used in Pokemon games?

From what I've heard, the UK and Australia and Canada and every other English-speaking country get the exact same English script that we Americans get. Americanized spellings and all.

I have seen some non-American English spelling on other products, however. For example, the booklet that comes with my Australian DVD sets have "centre" and "mum" throughout.

Platinum:
"Hello, and welcome to the Pokemon Center."

Damn you Nurse Joy!

So Dogasu is right, we get the same script. It used to bother me a lot but now I just ignore it because it isn't worth getting angry over.

No, they don't bother changing it for us British.
I never used to notice it, to be honest. I grew up playing the Pokémon games and understanding that "centre" was spelt "center", because that's how they spelt it. So when I grew up and started writing essays about gravitational pulls and mathematic translations and writing "center of gravity" and "center of translation" and spell check telling me I was spelling it wrong, I got really confused. Just shows how a good game can mess up your head.

Yes annoyingly they do not bother changing from US English to British English
Never used to notice it as much as i do now mainly cos the script in the recent games has been pretty good and that makes it all the more obvious

We normally get the short straw when it comes to translations. It's only a very few good games that can generally be bothered to get a proper translation; I think Metroid Prime did, if I'm recalling properly, which really made me respect and enjoy the game more. What's worse is that we usually have to wait ages for games to be released whilst they're being translated into French, German, Spanish and Italian, and yet they don't bother with a proper English translation while they're at it. It's a bit of a shoddy cut corner, in my opinion.

Of course, we sometimes do get games before America (like The Minish Cap) or have games made here; but it's the exception rather than the rule to find English spellings in an obstensibly English version of a game.

America's taking over the world. I actually find it lazy and disgusting that we had to wait an extra 2 months to get our version and they do fuck all to it. I AM ACTUALLY SO PISSED OFF RIGT NOW THAT I WANT TO PERSONALLY MURDER THE OWNER OF POKÉMON INTER-FUCKING-NATIONAL.

America's taking over the world. I actually find it lazy and disgusting that we had to wait an extra 2 months to get our version and they do fuck all to it. I AM ACTUALLY SO PISSED OFF RIGT NOW THAT I WANT TO PERSONALLY MURDER THE OWNER OF POKÉMON INTER-FUCKING-NATIONAL.

Dude, it's a game, get over it.

I think it's kinda odd that out of all English speaking countries, one uses American spelling, and the rest of the world use the original British, and yet so much of the worldwide media chooses to use the American spelling. (sorry if there actually are other countires that use US English I just can't think of any).

Cheerio!(did I spell it right?) I would to see that in the games. I love British English.

STFU. I fucking hate Americans butchering my language so don't fucking set me off, got it?

I'd like if you talk within a reasonable manner. Cursing doesn't make you better then anyone else, if you haven't noticed. It just makes you look worse.

STFU.

No, I think that I won't. It's a game, not one million dollars. If you can't wait around 60 days just so you can stare at a tiny screen for an hour then it's just sad.

I fucking hate Americans butchering my language

I wasn't butchering anything. I was simply saying that it's a game and you shouldn't hold a grudge just because you get something last. Life is about waiting; you won't get that job promotion when you're older by getting pissed at your boss. Americans talk by saying dude, you just have to live it that we come from different countries and that if you don't know what something means you should look it up in a dictionary.

so don't fucking set me off, got it?

No, I don't got it. What are you going to do exactly, flame at me and get banned? Why the hell should I care that you are mad at me. We live across seas. It's not like you are going to track me down, so I suggest you think before posting.

Really, all I said was that I think you should get over the fact that it's not the greatest thing in the world. It's a video game, you can live without it. Don't try and come in and test me, because it's not going to end well on your side. I never said, "Hahaha we get center and you don't get centre." I never offended you, I think I didn't anyway, so don't get mad for no reason.

The Pokemon games are first released in the US after Japan. Europe does soon follow. However, do the Pokemon versions released in the UK get translated from US spellings to British spellings?

A quick check could be you (using your game bought in Britain) going to your local Pokemon centER and reading its signpost in game. Does it read "Pokemon Centre?"

If it doesn't, then does it bother you that only American spellings are used in Pokemon games?
Hm never noticed that before, even though I watched a few walkthroughs of Diamond and Pearl done by a guy that lives in the UK on YouTube.
America's taking over the world. I actually find it lazy and disgusting that we had to wait an extra 2 months to get our version and they do fuck all to it. I AM ACTUALLY SO PISSED OFF RIGT NOW THAT I WANT TO PERSONALLY MURDER THE OWNER OF POKÉMON INTER-FUCKING-NATIONAL.:bawling:

STFU. I fucking hate Americans butchering my language so don't fucking set me off, got it?:bawling:
Fixed.

Does the US DP have the "Nazi Registeel"?
Since my UK Diamond have it, but my brothers "Norwegian" (probably US or International, since no one would bother subbing a game into a language spoken by 4000K) does not have it.

Yes. If 'Pedia is correct it's only banned in Europe, but I've seen it on the English games.

Of course you have... it's in the UK version.

I can't find my brothers game right now, but when I find it I'll check if there are more stuff that are changed.

I agree with you to some extent. I honestly don't see why we wait months longer to get it over here in the UK when they don't even alter it. Unlike with previous generations the regions of the game/console aren't all that important any more - so that can't be used as an excuse. -.-

I agree with you to some extent. I honestly don't see why we wait months longer to get it over here in the UK when they don't even alter it. Unlike with previous generations the regions of the game/console aren't all that important any more - so that can't be used as an excuse. -.-

At least you can talk the correct way.

I think it's because since they make so many copies, they have to go in order since the video games like pokemon is something that gets sold out in less then a week.

There it's done, yes the versions they sell here in Norway are not the same as in US/UK, here it's says Pokemon Center, not Centre, also the Registeels arm are not in "hail position". Idk why you in UK get games not translated into your own English while the rest of us (assuming that the "Norwegian" versions are the International versions)does.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom