• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Children believe Sheep Lay Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinx3000

Reaction score
Source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100202/tuk-children-believe-sheep-lay-eggs-6323e80.html

Eggs come from sheep, crisps are made of plastic and butterflies produce cheese - these are just some of the wrong answers given by children in a test of their knowledge of food sources, it was revealed.

The survey of more than 1,000 school children showed that nearly two thirds struggled to identify the origins of the everyday foods they eat.
Some thought beef burgers came from McDonalds or Burger King, that yoghurts were made using turkeys or ducks, ham came from the Co-Op, bacon from horses, goats or peacocks and cheese originated from butterflies, rats or mice.

Less than one in four knew that beef burgers are sourced from cows, with 29% saying beef burgers came from pigs.

More than 1,100 youngsters from Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset, between the ages of six and eight, were questioned for the research commissioned by rural insurance firm Cornish Mutual.
The survey was used to determine their level of awareness and knowledge of vegetables, dairy products and meat produce and to see if they were able to recognise how they are sourced.

Other bizarre responses from pupils included children believing rabbits, plastic or sheep were the main ingredient of crisps (two thirds correctly identified potatoes).

Some thought ice cream was made with cheese, air, fish or potatoes (43% correctly said milk or cream).

But children's overall level of recognition of vegetables was high, ranging from 98% for carrots and sweetcorn to a low of 44% for swede/turnip.
Levels of animal recognition were even higher, with all pupils correctly identifying cows, 99% for pigs, 98% for chickens and 97% for sheep.

I was surprised at some of the things here, like children believing rabbits, plastic or sheep were the main ingredient of crisps and that some thought fish or air were ingrediants in ice cream.

Well, American education sucks and with a 50% divorce rate I'm guessing that there isn't much learning going on at home.

And I am not surprised.

Those counties aren't near Kent.
We have a better level of education for our kids. I hope.

Yeah -- British children actually know what a sheep IS. >.> I wouldn't be surprised if a child in America who doesn't live on a farm even knows that much.

Well a lot of British children didn't know what even is on a farm despide being a lot of farming locations throughout the UK, but these childen were city born I think.

One thing that got me that some thought butterflies made cheese. I honestly think children should be taught about food at a young age, might help them understand truely whats in it, and maybe even combat obesity too?

When I was that age, I thought burgers came from pigs. To this day, I still don't know why we call them hamburgers.

Actually,it's the Brits who have the sucky education

Have you ever been to an urban public school?

From 6th to 11th grade I had no science classes due to the system not having enough money to pay for the instructors and equipment. I essentially self taught myself during the empty slot that would have been reserved for science (we essentially sat in the area for the class (area because class"rooms" were all in a giant room seperated by rolling chalkboards) with a security guard to make sure we weren't making trouble) by reading the 20-30 year old textbooks they had stashed in the cabinets.

If British public schools are this bad, well, then we're about equal.

Have you ever been to an urban public school?

From 6th to 11th grade I had no science classes due to the system not having enough money to pay for the instructors and equipment. I essentially self taught myself during the empty slot that would have been reserved for science (we essentially sat in the area for the class (area because class"rooms" were all in a giant room seperated by rolling chalkboards) with a security guard to make sure we weren't making trouble) by reading the 20-30 year old textbooks they had stashed in the cabinets.

If British public schools are this bad, well, then we're about equal.
Agreed.

Wow that shocks me, I hope we (Irish people) aren't that unaware. Butterflies don't make cheese, how could anyone think that?

Wow that shocks me, I hope we (Irish people) aren't that unaware.

You'd be too drunk to fill out the questionairre.
(Joke, I'm half Irish myself)

I've always maintained the naive view that American children are idiots but after this news I'm definetely rethinking what I believe.

You'd be too drunk to fill out the questionairre.
(Joke, I'm half Irish myself)

I've always maintained the naive view that American children are idiots but after this news I'm definetely rethinking what I believe.
Me too(Not the Irish part.). By the time I was 6-8 I was in 3rd-5th grade. It seems American children are getting more and more ignorant each generation.

I blame it on parents being too nice. I mean, they can't tell a young child that a cow has to be killed to make their Happy Meal, so they lie to them to make them feel better about it. That or they're making up their own ideas of what things are by deducing it from the name, the most obvious example being hamburgers and pigs, despite the fact that ham comes from the Co-Op and definately not from pigs.

That doesn't explain where they got butterfly milk, though. If you've ever watched What Do Kids Know, you'd have already known this news waaaay before it was made public.

Wow that shocks me, I hope we (Irish people) aren't that unaware.

Well I'm Irish and I was never that unaware, although I did think hamburgers were made of ham for a long time until I had one and it didn't taste of ham. And didn't know until a while back that hamburgers were invented in Hamberg.

Me too(Not the Irish part.). By the time I was 6-8 I was in 3rd-5th grade. It seems American children are getting more and more ignorant each generation.

sad part is im american and i agree with u lol. i always hated goin to school because of the kids. though u cant blame the kids when the parent dont do anythin to help the situation.

Well, if you'll excuse me, i have to go catch some butterflies so i can make Nachos...
Seriously? When i was 6 i knew where beef came from!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom