• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that should go away/be changed

Re: Things that should go away.

But that's like saying "I don't want to have to get used to new sprites for old Pokemon". The sprites have been updated for each new game, and yet the cries still sound exactly like they have since the first games have been released. It's like using those God-awful sprites from the Japanese Red and Green in HG/SS. I'm not saying they completely change the cries, just update them so you can still recognize them, and yet they don't sound terrible compared to current Pokemon's cries.

I agree, I also don't expect the cries to be entirely different, but still they can be updated to match the quality of the other cries.

I think they just need to find a Zubat and Geodude replacement, you know, kind of how like each Gen has a new Rattata/Pidgey/Ect? Make a cool new bat to fill in the caves that plays differently (like a fruit bat as opposed to a vampire bat) and a new, interesting Rock family.

I agree. Instead of getting 'rid' of them, they should make a few family set for these types. So we have have more variety. It'd be nice to see a change with a new bat and new rock family. If they can do it for the bird/rodent/etc, then I am sure that they can do it for the bat/rock.

Here are a few things that I want/agree on.

1. New sounds for old pokemon. I also agree that these need a revamp. Some are okay, but others are just painful compaired to the cool new ones we can get.

2. As far as I am aware, you no longer can 'accidently' save over your game in D/P. Don't you have to conciously delete it first, before you can truely start a new game and save over? (correct me if I'm wrong), so it should stop telling us that there's game data and we're writing over it... Because it'd be impossible to loose the game unless we conciously deleted it first... >__>

3. I also want the one save rule to go away. Maybe just a 2nd save? I dunno...

4. Berry Trees dying. Or maybe I'm the only person in the world that has a problem with this? I love the berry system, I do, but I don't have the type, nor the patience, to walk around the world every day, just to pick berries or water them so I don't loose them forever. Unless this has changed since S/R, the system seriously annoys me. Especially when I have started a new game, and don't know basic moves like fly yet. >__>

5. Being challanged by trainers when you have one pokemon with... 5hp. Maybe they should set a mechanism, that gives players the OPTION of refusing a trainer battle if it has a HUGE chance of just KOing you entirely by the first move. I dunno, I used to find this extremely frustrating. Of course, this would have nothing to do with wild pokemon, and tough luck for the trainer if they get KO'd cause of them. Eh, if it's there or not, it wouldn't be too heartbreaking. Just a thought, really.

3. I also want the one save rule to go away. Maybe just a 2nd save? I dunno...

4. Berry Trees dying. Or maybe I'm the only person in the world that has a problem with this? I love the berry system, I do, but I don't have the type, nor the patience, to walk around the world every day, just to pick berries or water them so I don't loose them forever. Unless this has changed since S/R, the system seriously annoys me. Especially when I have started a new game, and don't know basic moves like fly yet. >__>

5. Being challanged by trainers when you have one pokemon with... 5hp. Maybe they should set a mechanism, that gives players the OPTION of refusing a trainer battle if it has a HUGE chance of just KOing you entirely by the first move. I dunno, I used to find this extremely frustrating. Of course, this would have nothing to do with wild pokemon, and tough luck for the trainer if they get KO'd cause of them. Eh, if it's there or not, it wouldn't be too heartbreaking. Just a thought, really.

I agree with your first two points, but these three I didn't like.

See, having multiple save files allows families to buy one game for all the kids, instead of four games for all the kids. GF would lose money. Losing money is bad for business.

Second, the berry system has changed in HGSS, in which you carry the berries with you. Much handier.

Third, when did you ever find a trainer who could KO your one pokemon in one hit? I don't think I've ever found a trainer who could do that, since your starter is at lvl 5 and all beginning trainers start below that.

Second, the berry system has changed in HGSS, in which you carry the berries with you. Much handier.

Third, when did you ever find a trainer who could KO your one pokemon in one hit? I don't think I've ever found a trainer who could do that, since your starter is at lvl 5 and all beginning trainers start below that.

Um...correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you always carry the berries with you? I agree with Azumizai, I liked it in Gen 2 when the berry trees were always there. Sure, you couldn't harvest as many berries from them, but I appreciated the fact that I didn't have to go around and farm them. Just wait 24 (or they could change it to 12 or something) hours, and another berry would be there.

For that last point, I think they were referring to getting spotted by a trainer when your last pokemon is very, very weak -- therefore making it possible for them to KO you in one hit.

Some personal things:

I agree with making a new bat and rock line to replace Zubats/Golbats and Geodude/Gravelers in caves. Unless you got the water or grass starter and one of the first 3 gyms is a grass type gym, Zubats are pretty useless. At least they have a niche use, though, unlike Geodude or Graveler.

For that matter, I'd like to do away with being so restricted when it comes to types of pokemon early on. Gen 3 did this right -- aside from the basic normal rodent, normal bird, BASIC grass (if you're lucky), and bug, you could catch a dark type, psychic type, water/grass type, something that evolved into grass/dark, and water/flying all before the first gym -- hell, all before you got to Petalburg for the first time. DP gave us an electric type on the beginning routes, but it didn't learn an electric move until very late, and it waited even longer to learn a damaging electric move.

Last edited:

Ryuutakesh! said:
See, having multiple save files allows families to buy one game for all the kids, instead of four games for all the kids. GF would lose money. Losing money is bad for business.

Oh I know that's the case, and I know it'll never happen, and I definately know that's what the reality is. XD But I was just stating what I didn't want in the game : One save file.

I wouldn't be saddened to only see one file though. :3

Ryuutakesh! said:

That's what I figured. How about I don't want the D/P berry system and I want it to stay as the HGSS. I wasn't fully aware of that in HGSS, so thanks very much for clearing that up.

I hope they keep that instead of the previous means.

Ryuutakesh! said:
rd, when did you ever find a trainer who could KO your one pokemon in one hit? I don't think I've ever found a trainer who could do that, since your starter is at lvl 5 and all beginning trainers start below that.

Lastly... I'm sorry. I mis-worded myself. I mean, say you went through this long pass of trainers, all your pokemon are down or are at 5hp or extremely low health... no potions or anything... you are just... a few hundred steps from a rest stop... and bam, a trainer challenges you and manages to take you out and you start way back at the the last center you started at.

I suppose it's a 1 in a Million chance. And maybe I want it more for a realistic factor of "Oh... you wouldn't be able to battle properly anyway, I'll be waiting for you here! >:[!!!"

Or something. I think my last idea is the silliest of the lot. More of an idle musing that just came to me.

So this is quickly becoming the 'What would you change' thread and not 'Things that should go away'. Switching stuff around is by far a better alternative than simply dropping features altogether. Perhaps we should make this the new topic.

Lastly... I'm sorry. I mis-worded myself. I mean, say you went through this long pass of trainers, all your pokemon are down or are at 5hp or extremely low health... no potions or anything... you are just... a few hundred steps from a rest stop... and bam, a trainer challenges you and manages to take you out and you start way back at the the last center you started at.

I suppose it's a 1 in a Million chance. And maybe I want it more for a realistic factor of "Oh... you wouldn't be able to battle properly anyway, I'll be waiting for you here! >:[!!!"

Or something. I think my last idea is the silliest of the lot. More of an idle musing that just came to me.

I see such occurances as typical. The game is designed as an RPG after all. In RPGs, you've got party management as one of your duties (as party leader). Not having enough potions simply means you didn't prepare enough. Getting caught by that trainer means you weren't aware of your surroundings. Having a single Pokemon with that much health and no back up means you weren't playing smartly.

As it is, the Pokemon games give you ample graces. You can escape from tunnels, use HMs (like Fly) nearly everywhere, you can buy a crazy amount of medicine and items, you have a party of 6 Pokemon with each 4 moves that contain tons of PP. From day 1, trainer battles have been the counter to all of those advantages, in that they are battles you must complete. I do not forsee a change happening.

I agree, I also don't expect the cries to be entirely different, but still they can be updated to match the quality of the other cries.
They changed cries with Haunter and Magneton before (Gen II -> Gen III, I think), effectively making their cries 100x worse. I don't see any reason for the cries to be changed. "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." (wise words from someone)

What I want to go away is the simplified route-city-route-mountain-route-city map. We need more open fields and different implementations, not just linear maps. I wouldn't mind having a larger-scale region with 10+ "off-the-story" cities like Pacifidlog in RSE or certain towns in the anime. Also, they have to remove the walls blocking access to 90% of towns' houses. I want to get in there and hear what the NPCs want to tell me, even if it's not important. It'd make the cities feel a lot livelier.

Also sometimes when the Pokemon animations move in battles they become somewhat pixelated for a few moments, that could be fixed to make the images all clear.

That's because a lot of sprite animations transform the original sprites in the animation to simulate smoother movement, instead of making a new sprite for every frame. If you enlarge a sprite, or stretch it, or compress it or rotate it or anything, it's going to have a bit of distortion, and it won't look as clean as the original sprite. That's just how it is, I'm afraid.

And I agree with not being challenged by trainers if you're near-dead. It's more realistic, for one thing, and much less punishing, for another.

That's because a lot of sprite animations transform the original sprites in the animation to simulate smoother movement, instead of making a new sprite for every frame. If you enlarge a sprite, or stretch it, or compress it or rotate it or anything, it's going to have a bit of distortion, and it won't look as clean as the original sprite. That's just how it is, I'm afraid.

Not necessarily.

Spr_4h_025_m.png

That is a sprite from more recent games using the effects instead of multiple sprites.

Spr_2c_025.gif

The same Pokemon from Crystal, using multiple sprite/frame animations.

I personally prefer the ladder technique, and assuming that Gen V is not in 3D there is no reason to not return to the superior animation, or at least higher frame count.

UltimateSephiroth said:
I don't see any reason for the cries to be changed. "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

But the cries are broken. Horribly, ear-destroying-ly broken.

But the cries are broken. Horribly, ear-destroying-ly broken.

Agreed. The cries don't have to be made up from scratch, but we need at least something the quality of Stadium, ten years later the cries shouldn't HAVE to sound like metal nails on a rusty chalkboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mLal6iGaiQ

This is the original Mewtwo cry. OW MY EARS

Now for Mewtwo in Stadium-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZHc7Gktf0I

Same basic pitches, same feel and melody, but it doesn't HURT. This is 2010, the sounds in a game should no longer HURT. It was forgivable on the Atari, but...

i think that the pc only allowing you to move one pokemon at a time should go away. sometimes I want to move more than one pokemon into the pc, so why can't I select however many i want and put them in at the same time?

My ears don't have a problem with the cries. Well...

i think that the pc only allowing you to move one pokemon at a time should go away. sometimes I want to move more than one pokemon into the pc, so why can't I select however many i want and put them in at the same time?

Hint: press Y once, then hold A and move the hand to select multiple Pokémon. In Gen III (E: just remembered this might not apply to RS), press Select instead.

Hint: press Y once, then hold A and move the hand to select multiple Pokémon. In Gen III (E: just remembered this might not apply to RS), press Select instead.

Wow. I never knew that!

In terms of cries, perhaps a little re-jigging would be nice. The cry of a Zubat is half the annoyance

Tullio

o_o Y'know, that's really something they should put in the manual. (Thanks for the tip.)

o_o Y'know, that's really something they should put in the manual. (Thanks for the tip.)

My ears don't have a problem with the cries. Well...

that is something that should be in a manual!

but sephiroth, how did you find out?

Maybe they'll get real intuitive in the next gen and have the stylus/touch screen act like a mouse cursor, dragging, dropping, and wide selecting, while in the PC.

Jean-Luc Pikachu said:
The same Pokemon from Crystal, using multiple sprite/frame animations.

I personally prefer the ladder technique, and assuming that Gen V is not in 3D there is no reason to not return to the superior animation, or at least higher frame count.
Okay, I thought this answer was obvious ever since they rolled out with Pokemon on the GBA. But let me explain it for ya.

The lower quality of the GBC sprites meant they could manipulate them in a much easier fashion than the sprites we see today. Pokemon back then had about 3 colors on their sprite, meaning the creation of more animation frames was mind-blowingly easy. Today, each Pokemon has at least 10 colors to its name, potentially more if it has a really elaborate design. Thus, a lot more work goes into creating those sprites. At most we have 2-frames to work with because that's the minimum they can offer. The rest is left up to the power of the GBA or DS and the game engine itself. Squashing, stretching, distorting, transparencies are all less taxing to accomplish. Using both the sprite frames and sprite manipulation intandem is what brings life to the sprites without sacrificing tons of man-hours towards animating a sprite.

With each batch of new Pokemon, the work doubles. 600x2 at the minium is 1200 sprites. Any more and they'd be going overboard.

It WOULD take more effort, but it's improvements like that that I would expect from a new Gen.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom