• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most unexpected capture in DP?

Most unexpected capture of DP?

• Total voters

Cybersai

Reaction score
Which capture in DP surprised you the most?

There were some Pokemon that I'm not surprised wound up on the main cast, Staraptor being the regional bird, Buizel, Dawn's Buneary/Pachi, James getting Carnivine, but there were some surprises this gen in terms of captures.

Both Chimchar and Aipom/Buizel had some build up and hints and a lot of people here speculated it'll happen so I wouldn't even put them as an option
Happiny and Croagunk weren't THAT surprising... I actually thought Ash will catch Gligar when the preview for that ep aired but I thought it's unlikely and was a little surprised when it actually happened
I think Gible or Togekiss would win this, maybe Gible because Ash already had a full team and people expected this team to stay by Sinnoh's end...

I'd also say Gible, Ash never had a dragon pokemon before, so it wasn't assumable that he would have got one now. I'd also say Dawn getting Togekiss as I would have expected Cynthia to debut hers instead, but given how things are going, I can see why this might not happen and its stil a good pokemon for her.

I wasn't around for it, but Gligar's capture turned some heads I'm quite certain. Mostly because there wasn't any build up to it.

I'd say Brock and Crogunk fall into the same pile.

The Buizel/Aipom switch. I felt like this was evident for a while. Aipom was always destined for greatness after getting caught at the tailend of BF, and Dawn with 2 Water Pokemon wasn't a fresh idea the writers were going to be okay with keeping. Thus, the switch was iminent.

Brock getting Happiny may have been an unexpected choice, but that may not apply to him actually getting the egg. He was the last one on the list not checked off (before Team Rocket and Dawn), so getting the egg was simply a matter of time. In hindsight (remember, it's always 20/20 perfect vision), getting Happiny sounds like the best choice, what with the Chansey -> Nurse Joy connection. However, that doesn't mean any of us were anticipating it.

If you had told me Jessie was getting Yanmega at the start of DP, I'd probably wouldn't have believed you. But with advent of reappearing Johto Pokemon on the team, new evolutions, and most certainly after her releasing Dustox, getting a replacement was on the horizon. Is it a 1:1 choice? Is Jessie destined to keep releasing Bug Pokemon to make way for new ones? Is Seviper's Pokemon permanently fused to her belt? Does Wobbuffet even HAVE a Poke Ball anymore? Why am I ask you these questions? Where'd I park my car? Who am I!?

Of course, there's the Gible fiasco. But I'd say the whole ordeal is more surprising than Gible itself. After all, we witnessed the competition to capture one between Ash and Khoury early on. You can't say Ash didn't want one.

Clearly, the most unexpected was Turtwig.

Chansey -> Nurse Joy connection.

Not only this, but Happiny had the whole oval stone thing which Brock knew how to handle due to his knowledge in rocks, being a former rock type Gym Leader (they did say this in the episode)
So Happiny is pretty perfect for Brock out of the gen 4 Poké

If you had told me Jessie was getting Yanmega at the start of DP, I'd probably wouldn't have believed you.

Really? It was pretty logical thing to do...

Is Seviper's Pokemon permanently fused to her belt?

Until there's a new poison snake... I won't be surprised if they'll make a new poison snake and a Poké like Victribell/Carnivine especially for the anime
As the time goes on the anime and games are more connected with each other and they might request to make replacements for TRio's Poké

Togekiss really surprised me. I was sure Dawn wasn't going to get another capture this late, much less a fully evolved one. I always thought Cynthia would debut Togekiss too.

Fukamaru for me. Firstly Satoshi had 6 pokes on him when there was evidence for him getting one (that figurine) and even then it is a dragon.

I'd also say Yanma/mega and Gligar as these two had no hints of them being captured by TR and Ash except at the near end of the two episodes they featured in.

-----Chimchar: Truth be told, I expected Chimmy to snap and wind up a psychotic powerhouse for Shinji instead of getting the boot. Still, I can see *why* the writers did what they did here(in no small part because they forgot to have any of Ash's *other* rivals show up for that), but as I expected, the payoff isn't going to be anything close to what was advertised.

-----Croagunk/Happini: The former was not really surprising at all, as with Brock back on the scene(again), there was no way the writers would be able to resist putting the proverbial bull's-eye on him. Hence, Croagunk the Backstabber(or butt, or groin, or guts, or whatever). Happini was less obvious, but with Brock's thing for Nurse Joys, again unsurprising.

-----Gible: This was a surprise, in no small part because it suits him so horribly. If the writers needed Ash to have a second/third Sinnoh ground-type so badly, then Hippopotas was a far better candidate. If they needed him to have a pseudo-legendary pokemon line, then they should have had Larvitar meet up with Ash at Oak's lab and follow him from there onwards. If they wanted him to have a dragon-type, then I can name three pokemon lines that suit him far better in that regard; one's from Ash's native Kanto and from Johto(Dratini line), one is made up of ground-type insects(Trapinch's evolutions), and the third one is the pokemon embodiment of Ash's personality(the Bagon line). How in the name of Arceus does the Gible line(a reckless land shark, a greedy land shark, and a supersonic gliding land shark) even come close to being a good fit on an Ash roster?

-----Gligar: After Starly/Staravia(which *shouldn't* have wound up on Ash's roster as it became an ominous hint of the disasters to come), I barely even considered this an option until he'd actually gotten it.

-----The Trade: Aside from the Zoey episodes that foreshadowed and then commiserated it, they really were no signs that a trade was inevitable, even with two water-types on her roster(granted, the first one that was there shouldn't have been). The results of this? For Ash and Buizel; one pity badge in all but name for Ash(Veilstone), one contest loss caused wholly by writer fiat(Wallace Cup), one great gym win marred only by sub-par animation(Pastoria), a pretty good mini-arc culminating in a great gym battle(Fantina), and three undeniably terrible performances(Canalave, Shinji, and Flint, though the middle one has the caveat of Ash being in Prima mode at the time). For Dawn and Aipom/Ambipom; evolution/screw-up/development(Solaceon), one crushing gym defeat(Veilstone), one well-done appeal(which led to a DXM contest win; Wallace Cup), one questionable contest win(Celestic), and her eventual disposal at the end of the ping-pong mini-arc. In the end, all that wound up showing was another reason that Dawn should have chosen Chimchar as her starter as opposed to to Piplup.

-----Togekiss: This was a major shock, as there were really no signs of a readily accessible Togepi/Togetic until the bad egg showed up(which was still wild at the end of its episode and has not seen since, if I remember correctly).

So I'd have to say Togekiss is the biggest surprise out of the ones you listed, Scott. Given how things are progressing thus far, I won't be be surprised in the least if it ends up as yet another disappointment somehow.

I found it unexpected that Ash got Gible because I never saw it coming that he'd get a Dragon Pokemon.

Paul releasing Chimchar and Ash getting it was practically written in huge neon lights in the sky.

The Aipom-Buizel trade wasn't surprising either... Not only did Zoey already suggested it back in Jubilife, but Aipom participated in two contests and Buizel was shown to be a fighter right off the bat from the Lucian ep. Plus two water pokemon from Dawn, no that was clear too.

Dawn getting Togekiss didn't surprise me because Cynthia had been keeping her DP team, so Togekiss was out... Plus they've given a gen II pokemon that evolves into a gen IV pokemon to each member of the main cast. It was no surprise that someone was gonna get Togekiss... and it feels like a good fit for Dawn.

Ash getting Gible wasn't surprising. The Khoury episode showed that he was looking for another pokemon to ass to his team and that he had an interest in Gible... That, again, was like the writers telling us, Gliscor's gone and Gible's in. Plus, Gible really fits with Ash.

Croakgunk and Happiny had Brock wrtten all over them. Brock was bound to get another baby pokemon once Bonsly evolved and Happiny felt like the logical choice.

The one thing I would say is I think Gligar should have gone to Brock. He's the only one who didn't get a fully evolved Gen IV pokemon that evolved from a Gen II pokemon, it would have been a callback to Zubat and it would have made sense given Gligar's personnality and arc that was about anything but battles.

The one thing I would say is I think Gligar should have gone to Brock. He's the only one who didn't get a fully evolved Gen IV pokemon that evolved from a Gen II pokemon, it would have been a callback to Zubat and it would have made sense given Gligar's personnality and arc that was about anything but battles.

Come to think of it you're right, Gligar/Gliscor really felt like a "Brock Pokemon" now that I stop to think about it.

I prefer Gliscor with Ash, but if Brock captured it instead it actually would have fit in there too.

Gonna have to go with Croagunk. Not just that Brock captured it, but rather what it ended up becoming. From a average frog Pokemon that's rare in DP to a "headliner" behind Pikachu and Piplup, not to mention how the episode mislead you into thinking Team Rocket would end up with it, or no one at all.

I guess with Brock, most of his "captures" were kind of unexpected since he doesn't seem to have a theme really. Barring Onix, Geodude, and Bonsly, there's not really a common connection between Lotad, Pineco, Happiny, Zubat, Mudkip, Vulpix, and Croagunk you can draw. Kinda odd Pokemon to give to the former Rock Gym Leader. And

Come to think of it you're right, Gligar/Gliscor really felt like a "Brock Pokemon" now that I stop to think about it.

That's a huge part of the reason I'm iffy with Gliscor, he really didn't fit with Ash in my opinion. Plus, helping a pokemon overcome fears and growing up, that's a breeder's job.

I might have warmed up to Gliscor more if he'd been with Brock because it would have made sense, from a writing standpoint.

Gible, hands down. I could not have called that even if I wanted to. That was totally out of left field. Even Gliscor was more predictable. And frankly, I sorta think it makes sense that that happened. But Gible was unexpected.

Are we talking the Pokemon or the capture itself as unexpected?

Because there are some captures I wasn't anticipating and then there we some Pokemon I wasn't anticipating.

For instance: Chimchar capture was apparent. Chimchar as the Fire Pokemon for Ash was also apparent. As soon as they showed Chimchar's harsh training it clicked.

Brock getting an egg was apparent. Having it be Happiny was not (again, it makes sense now, after the fact, but if you were expecting it, you must be psychic).

Brock's capture of Crogunk may have been expected since a Main Character's gotta catch a new Pokemon, but Croagunk as an expected choice? Nothing about him says that.

Dawn's Buneary? Completely expected on all fronts since it was a Pokemon she wanted to catch.

Ash and Gible? Never would've guessed they'd switch up his team at the point that they did. Sure, it makes sense that Gible is the Pokemon they go with, because they set it up beforehand, but the capture itself (and subsequent team change) was unexpected.

James and Carnivine? Expected he would get a new Sinnoh Pokemon. They literally left no room for speculation on that one. Expected Carnivine? Somewhat, as James himself become a bit of a Grass enthusiast.

Really? It was pretty logical thing to do...

It felt really out of the blue. Jessie goes 50+ episodes with no change and then -Bam- suddenly she's without Dustox and gets Yanma/Yanmega. I'm really not seeing the correlation as clearly as you are. Until those exact moments, I doubt it was obvious. And to date, her other Pokemon remain unscaved.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom