• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Misty underrated as a battler?

Why are Misty's Battle Skills so Underrated?

• Ash was spoiled with main character luxury

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They didn't appeal to fans

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They really shouldn't be, cause she is better than Ash

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • IDK

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is stuck battling rookies and not progressing, as Cerulean is one of the early gyms in Kanto. Nobody is going to her to be "challenged" like they would with a Frontier brain.

Right yeah. What about all those experienced trainers who grow up training in other regions and by the time they reach the Kanto region, are already very experienced? Paul's brother had Misty's Gym badge, and will have conquered the Sinnoh Gyms first. That's a very bad argument to say that every challenger Misty faces will be a rookie......

uhm.
who cares?

it's not like the girl matters anymore anyways. c:

Ha! you're obviously new to this forum but after a couple of weeks of non stop threads and arguments about her, you'll see that she still does matter.

Wow, Misty's fans are pretty hardcore...
Just one thing:

Well in water field she was shown to be better,as Whirl Cup showed.
If yuou need a specific field to beat someone, don't mean you are better... Means exactly the opposite.

Wow, Misty's fans are pretty hardcore...

That's a common misconception. We're no more 'hardcore' than May or Dawn's fans, it's just that Misty Is the only female who ever seems to get bad mouthed, thus we're the only fandom, that has to speak up so much in defense.

Very much so and it seems the people are so upset over this defense but I think I know why it happens. Most of Misty's fans left this forum quite some time ago or never even signed up in the first place so quite a few of the people here either hate her or are never were fans in the first place. Those of us who actually like Misty are forced to put up with this crap and more or less have no recourse because of administrative bias.

That's a common misconception. We're no more 'hardcore' than May or Dawn's fans, it's just that Misty Is the only female who ever seems to get bad mouthed, thus we're the only fandom, that has to speak up so much in defense.

are you serious? are you freaking serious? Like seriously serious?! HAHAHA.

I remember when I first joined sppf during AG times, May was still being badmouthed and being hated because she wasn't Misty. Misty fans are upset so they hate on May and Dawn because they actually have roles in the anime and reasons to show up even when/if they leave.

May was hated on much more than Misty bb. And I think I'm in the wrong place. Too many Misty avatars and Misty fans here for my liking. -_-

May was hated on much more than Misty bb. And I think I'm in the wrong place. Too many Misty avatars and Misty fans here for my liking. -_-

This Is the here and now. The present! and believe me, May and Dawn are treated like royalty compared to Misty, and if you hate seeing avatars and Misty fans, then yes, do leave.

If we have to get over Misty because she's off the show, then you get over us for being Misty fans in the first place. Obviously there's a reason why there are so many Misty fans here: We think she's a good character.

Seriously? Why is that so hard to understand?

And May was most certainly not hated on more than Misty. I've seen way more hate for Misty than I've ever seen for May, and I say this without bias, as I love both girls.

That is exactly what I was going to say and yes it is quite true in fact the bias TOWARD May and Dawn is pissing me off so much that Bulbagarden might be the next forum I leave. Already left SPP for similar reasons and for a bogus topic ban but this seems to go up to the top as I mentioned earlier on or if not really close to it.

Maybe it's because be rarely ever see her battle? For a Gym Leader she did a whole lot of very little in the 5 seasons she was in the group.

She is probably 'underrated' because she didn't battle that often.

Edit: Uhhh wow, I just got ninja'd for the first time.

She is underrated because she didn't battle fairly. %60 of her wins is DEM...

Just because people don't think Misty is a great battler,doesn't mean they are bad mouthing her. In reality, she didn't battle that often and in her battles, she didn't come off as a strong battler.

Last edited:
Just because people don't think Misty is a great battler,doesn't mean they are bad mouthing her. In reality, she didn't battle that often and in her battles, she didn't come off as a strong battler.

And to be fair, I dont see May fans demanding that May be brought back to the show nearly as often, as loudly, or as vigorously as I see Misty fans demanding for Misty to return.

Misty was, for me, always a very boring girl. She had very few battles, very rarely, and those battles were never that impressive.

I'm not referring to this thread. I'm speaking in general, in some threads almost every post Is pointing out how useless she was. I'm not hallucinating this negativity. It does exist....

I'm not referring to this thread. I'm speaking in general, in some threads almost every post Is pointing out how useless she was. I'm not hallucinating this negativity. It does exist....

Then don't bring that to this thread. It's discussion doesn't belongs here...

There is negativity, but that is with every character. Some Misty fans tend to exaggerate Misty's importance to the Original series. It goes both ways.....

Then don't bring that to this thread. It's discussion doesn't belongs here...

Within the context of the previous posts it does.

Just because people don't think Misty is a great battler,doesn't mean they are bad mouthing her.

According to some poeple, that would mean you are. Because of course, people aren't entitled to their opinions when it comes to Misty.

In reality, she didn't battle that often and in her battles, she didn't come off as a strong battler.

If we go by what's been shown on the show during the first 5 seasons, then you're right. She might have gotten better after her time on the show, but from what we've seen on the show, then no she was never portrayed as being that strong a battler.

I mean all of her victories that came thanks to Psyduck, like the Princess Day Festival or the battle with Ash don't really reflect her skills as a trainer since she didn't really train or control Psyduck. Sure she had some wins in real battles that she truly earned from battling and training her pokémon... like the Seaking Catching contest... and... that guy Georgia in Chronicles... and... that fire trainer... yeah that's pretty much it...

Funny, I often see May and Dawn (Dawn especially lately) get bashed whereas I almost see nothing but Misty-fans praising her and continuously create threads to talk about her here instead of keeping it to the correct thread in the clubs section.

Besides, don't you think Misty only gets bashed because her fans just won't stop bringing her up in almost every damn thread, even when the discussion originally had absolutely nothing to do with her?
In other words, the fans' so-called "defense" of Misty only makes the bashing of her worse. Instead of feeling so obliged of defending her, why not just keep your discussion of her in her club. I'm positive the majority of the bashing of Misty's character will cease the moment the fans will stop their little mission of bringing her up and praising her all the time.

Heck, look at it from other fans' POV:
I'm a fan of Ash and Dawn and I frequently see them bashed too. However, I choose to not care about what other people think - if they don't like them for whatever reasons (no matter how right or wrong they may be) then hey, whatever makes them hatefully happy. What should I care.
Why can't Misty fans do the same?

----

As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't say Misty is underrated at all. She could battle, yes, but she wasn't super or amazing nor was she awful and not able to stand up for herself. I've never gotten the impression that her battling competence is misjudged in the animé.

Last edited:
I think its sad what the writers did with Misty. They made a complete noob(May) have way more screen time, basically giving her as shes better than Misty feeling. Then Dawn comes along, A girl with a sweet heart, so adorable, tries and battles, and blaa blaa blaa. That really annoys me, and guess what the fans felt for it. Mind as well watch Salior Moon.
Misty could have been what May and Dawn are, it just that they do it for the eye candy(which is sick for me).

Maybe it was necessary to bring May(a new beginner going after a different goal and had a little brother to go wit it,)or even Dawn(not much of anything different) but if they bring a new girl for b/w I quit pokemon.

Misty for me, was a good battler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom