• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Misty underrated as a battler?

Why are Misty's Battle Skills so Underrated?

• Ash was spoiled with main character luxury

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They didn't appeal to fans

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They really shouldn't be, cause she is better than Ash

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • IDK

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies and Gentleman this is denial, because from a writing standpoint, May and Dawn were more important to their saga then Misty was to her. You may like Misty better, that is great. But in terms of importance to their sagas, May and Dawn have her beat. And if Dawn is replaced, the BW will have all of them beat.

It is isn't character bashing, as it is an improvment in writing and focus on the heroine.

I, for one, am not denying that May and Dawn are less important to the show than Misty. I am very well aware that the writers have given them better treatment, and that they have done more for the show overall than Misty. But that doesn't mean I think Misty is a character unworthy of being liked.

Lmao. No.

2w3tevs.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman this is denial, because from a writing standpoint, May and Dawn were more important to their saga then Misty was to her. You may like Misty better, that is great. But in terms of importance to their sagas, May and Dawn have her beat. And if Dawn is replaced, the BW will have all of them beat.

It is isn't character bashing, as it is an improvment in writing and focus on the heroine.

You didnt put it that way,you acted like these girls are improvement generally speaking in everything over Misty.

As a matter of fact i finded Misty having better character,more interesting pokemon,and she helped Ash grow as trainer more than her successors did.
Talking about impact,its only her departure which caused any real demand for return.

Just because May or Dawn had more spotlight,doesnt make them being better characters.Not at all.

Im sorry but this falls under category of personal opinion.
Whether some character is better over another depends on personal view.
All three girls have good and bad sides,and all of them brought something in this show.Sure in terms of importance regarding screentime May and Dawn leads,but in terms of impact they left on this show they werent anymore important than Misty was.
Orlmente.jpg

Because you always say in your posts that "the writers have improved"and that that is "undeniable".This extends to characters as well,if the writing has improved is only logical to assume that the characters have improved too,as writing involves both characters AND plot.

You didnt put it that way,you acted like these girls are improvement generally speaking in everything over Misty.

Exactly you put it in a completely different context the first time round >.>

Because you always say in your posts that "the writers have improved"and that that is "undeniable".This extends to characters as well,if the writing has improved is only logical to assume that the characters have improved too,as writing involves both characters AND plot.

The way they are handled has been improved. Not the characters themselves.

Because you [B]always[/B] say in your posts that "[I]the writers have improved[/I]"and that that is "[I]undeniable[/I]".This extends to characters as well,if the writing has improved is only logical to assume that the characters have improved too,as writing involves both characters AND plot.[/QUOTE]

Yes writing has improved regarding giving characters more screentime,better handlement of groups pokemon,villains etc but that doesnt make new characters better over past ones.

In that department,all three girls are having both good and bad sides.

Orlmente.jpg

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Very true. Just because May and Dawn were handled better than Misty doesn't mean we have to like them better.

Sadly some people just arent able to respect other opinions,trying to put across theirs as "facts"(like claiming May and Dawn are better as haracters,when infact they arent,the only difference is they gotten more screntime).
And when fans try to defend their beliefs and incorrect info regarding their favorite they are labelled as "delusional idiots".
Hypocrisy at its finest.

Yes writing has improved regarding giving characters more screentime,better handlement of groups pokemon,villains etc but that doesnt make new characters better over past ones.

In that department,all three girls are having both good and bad sides.

That doesn't makes sense at all,if we get to know a character better,and see that character´s achievements,if said character is build in a logical way,so much that we can relate to his/her....than that character is better than those that do not fulfill this.Those are all requirements for good writing,good writing implies that all the elements in a story are written in a satisfying way,and this involves both plots and characters,if you cant say that the plot hasn't improved (we get a true evil team conflict,real personalities for pokemon, etc)and deny that the characters have improved (are more real,more releatable,etc)

^^ Reminds me of when I used to lurk SPPf back in the AG days. Someone wrote an essay about how awesome May is and how much Misty sucks, and they got nothing but praise for it. But the moment anyone said they liked Misty better, everyone gave them hell for it. >_> What the fuck.

That doesn't makes sense at all,if we get to know a character better,and see that character´s achievements,if said character is build in a logical way,so much that we can relate to his/her....than that character is better than those that do not fulfill this.Those are all requirements for good writing,good writing implies that all the elements in a story are written in a satisfying way,and this involves both plots and characters,if you cant say that the plot hasn't improved (we get a true evil team conflict,real personalities for pokemon, etc)and deny that the characters have improved (are more real,more releatable,etc)

You clearly dont know what your talking about.
Just because May and Dawn received more screentime,doesnt mean they had better poersonalities,interacted better with other characters,had more interesting pokemon with their avievements holding bigger value.
That falls under personal opinion.

The only improvement they had over Misty is with their goals being expanded more,receiving more screentime.

Here it is people,prime example of disrespect toward those who like Misty better than other girls.

^ Reminds me of when I used to lurk SPPf back in the AG days. Someone wrote an essay about how awesome May is and how much Misty sucks, and they got nothing but praise for it. But the moment anyone said they liked Misty better, everyone gave them hell for it. >_> What the fuck.

What does that have to do with anything?I am not saying misty sucks,I don't think ANY character in the show sucks/well,maybe one character of the day that I cant remember its name,but that's it),as I find them all colorful :s.I am just saying that you cant say that the writing has improved without admitting that both the plot and the characters have,this are both the elements that construct the term "story",you cant separate them

And why did you change your name to Isanish Danish?D:

Just because May and Dawn received more screentime,doesnt mean they had better poersonalities(1),interacted better with other characters(2),had more interesting pokemon(2) with their avievements holding bigger value.

The only improvement they had over Misty is with their goals being expanded more,receiving more screentime.

Here it is people,prime example of disrespect toward those who like Misty better than other girls.

I don't know what I am talking about?lolz,ok then.

How do you determine is a story is good?By first determining if it is interesting(1),if the characters and relations make sense(2), AND finally if the plot is well constructed.
If any of these aren't fulfilled then YOU CANT SAY THE WRITING HAS IMPROVED.Improvement of writing means that both the plot and the characters have improved,both characters and plot are what makes a story.

Last edited:

No it doesn't work like that at all. Is the Prime Minster a better person than you, because he has more of a storyline, and lots more of a purpose?

That's BS you could love a character for just being themselves and having a great personality (and that's why a lot of people love Misty) she had the best personality imo, as well as the best chemistry within the group compared to May or Dawn.....She also had interesting Pokemon, (not all cutesypie) and her own gimmick of loving water types.

It's no doubt that May and Dawn had more of a role in the anime, but it's completely open to preference as too which girl was the best to have around.

Just because May and Dawn received more screentime,doesnt mean they had better poersonalities,interacted better with other characters,had more interesting pokemon with their avievements holding bigger value.

Misty had alot of spunk, but she was a static character, she didn't really change through out the saga. May and Dawn, like Ash were round characters who changed over course of the saga. In writing, round characters tend to be main characters, while static characters are minor characters who support the main characters.

Misty being Mercutio doesn't mean she was as important as May or Dawn, because from a writing standpoint, she wasn't.

@ Sombra: I didn't say you said she sucks, it was really just to argue the point that Misty's fanbase is more rabid than the other girls', when it really just depends on where you look. At least on BMGf, her fanbase isn't that bad.

And I agree about the writing being better, and the handling of characters have been improved, but I still like Misty's personality best.

And I dunno...I felt like it? 8D

I am just saying that you cant say that the writing has improved without admitting that both the plot and the characters have,this are both the elements that construct the term "story",you cant separate them

For the last time,writing has improved regardng handling better plot things,someones pokemon,with characters being more focused on with their dreams being handled properly.

Whether character is more likeable or not is a matter of personal opinion,with May and Dawn not being better as characters in term of characterization and things going for them than Misty was.

Every character in this show has its fanbase,an reasons for being preffered over others.Whether some character is better is matter of personal preference with noone being above others.

Misty had alot of spunk, but she was a static character, she didn't really change through out the saga.

What are you talking about exactly?Misty started off as little girl exploding over every little thing being insequre in herself,with time gradually changing becoming more selfconfident and responsible as person aswell her compley of inferiority she had which was caused by her older sisters diminishing over time.

Misty being Mercutio doesn't mean she was as important as May or Dawn, because from a writing standpoint, she wasn't.

Regarding Ashs growth as a trainer,she played bigger role than both of them,and left just as big impact in terms of popularity)if not even bigger).

EDIT:For record Misty was a main character.Minor supporting characters would be COTD,rivals,reccuring characters etc.

That's BS you could love a character for just being themselves and having a great personality (and that's why a lot of people love Misty) she had the best personality imo, as well as the best chemistry within the group compared to May or Dawn.....She also had interesting Pokemon, (not all cutesypie) and her own gimmick of loving water types.

It's no doubt that May and Dawn had more of a role in the anime, but it's completely open to preference as too which girl was the best to have around.

Quoted for thruth.

Some people are really delusional around here,and those certainly arent Misty fans.

Last edited:
At least on BMGf, her fanbase isn't that bad.

This really. There are some Misty fans here that actually argue their points and come across well.
It is just a select few who say stuff like "Oh Misty bashing, I am going to rise above this but you guys all suck" or "There is no entertainment in Hoenn or Sinnoh" and then it is revealed that they don't even watch the episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom