• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

*HAND RAISE*

Would it be impossible to use a hide/show feature on the templates of the move pages for the pogeys that learn said move?

Because, um...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Thunderbolt_(move)

...is huge (among others).

People hate the hider. Besides, it's a list, that's what it's supposed to do.

I think it's fine how it is, it just takes a second to check the pre-evolution's page.

but if your volenteering to make a chart for all pokémon, I'm cool with that.

NOPE, NOT VOLUNTEERING. Nor will it be popped into the mainspace before we get further details about Gen V's moves' statuses...

People hate the hider. Besides, it's a list, that's what it's supposed to do.
Then why do we still hide the trainer tables? =P Double standard.

You hide the item boxes, trainer tables, the VA TABLE (which is ridiculous), and the demonstrations of those moves learned in media outside the games itself. All of which are shorter than most of the move tables on various move pages.

But you won't hide something that probably needs to be hidden in consideration that there's a LOT of information you're unwantingly coasting through.

Thaaaat's why the table of contents is there.

We could possibly go back to the multi-column thing we had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when, but that was run by the CSS3 columns template, which runs the normal effectiveness part of the type effectiveness table, so it'd be the same result if you weren't using Firefox, I guess. Or would be cut off in Chrome or some shit.

I dunno. I'll look into new possibilities as Gen V approaches.

Thaaaat's why the table of contents is there.
*facepalm*

ToC on trainer pages, ToC on characters with VAs, ToC on those very move pages that have anime and manga depictions of the moves. Those things? Still hidden on pages with a ToC.

Hidden:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Thunderbolt_(move)#In_the_anime

Hidden:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Thunderbolt_(move)#In_the_manga

Not hidden:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Thunderbolt_(move)#By_TM24_3

What is the real point of hiding anything if it's not to hide shit that's too huge or encumbering? Why is anything hidden then?

And if people hate it, why hasn't there been movements to remove all instances of it?

Believe me, if we hide ONE sectioned instance of the damn moves, we hide them all.

Thunderbolt's learnable by 58983493 Pokémon in like eight different ways. Aeroblast is learnable by one Pokémon in one way.

...And? That's basically what I was getting at from the beginning: hide/show the move list template as a whole, because there are a lot more moves that are learned by EVERY POGEY except Magikarp than there are moves that are learned by only one-five pogeys, and they go on for three or more generations. Thunderbolt was just the very handy example. I could pull plenty more move pages if the servers weren't making me cry.

With GenV on top of us, Tbolt's going to get a looooot longer (among other pages).

...Doing it the way the pogeys have /their/ move lists would be nice too, as an alternate:

Thunderbolt (move)/Gen I
Thunderbolt (move)/Gen II
Thunderbolt (move)/Gen III
Thunderbolt (move)/Gen IV

Something to reduce the clutter on the move lists that are huge.

...Doing it the way the pogeys have /their/ move lists would be nice too, as an alternate:

Thunderbolt (move)/Gen I
Thunderbolt (move)/Gen II
Thunderbolt (move)/Gen III
Thunderbolt (move)/Gen IV

I like this. I also don't understand why the VA boxes are collapsed. They look stupid collapsed.

It's either all or none. Consistency!
Why does splitting the pages by their size mean all pages have to be split as well?

I don't see us splitting off the the GLs anime entries when we got around to splitting Brock and Misty's anime selves from their universal pages. Why? Because it's not necessary to split off the other GLs into separate pages, because those anime selves aren't doubling or tripling the size of the page they're already on.

Consistency! Why are you so against a form of organization that makes these pages easier to access on those with the slower connections (those sprites? Not helpful! Pretty, but not helpful in the loading process)? We did it with the pogey move-sets, and not just because it helped the main article as a whole. Never mind that with the servers being touchy (oh look, BP lockdown), loading is an issue no matter sort of connection you're on.

But unlike the other Gym Leaders, Brock and Misty are also main characters, and the main characters get split according to media.

For example: May (game), May (anime), Sapphire (adventures) or Dawn (game), Dawn (anime), Platinum (adventures). Since they are only more than Gym Leaders in the anime, there is no need to split out the rest of their articles, since that would be inconsistent with the Gym Leaders.

Yay watch as the echidna develops yet another template revamp that doesn't alter any parameters. [bp=User talk:TTEchidna/moventry]Oh boy.[/bp] Let the complaints roll in about "WAH OUR BROWSER CAN'T USE CSS3 COLUMNSSSSSSS". There was a time to complain, and that was during the FIVE YEARS we were using them in the type effectiveness.

Yay watch as the echidna develops yet another template revamp that doesn't alter any parameters. [bp=User talk:TTEchidna/moventry]Oh boy.[/bp] Let the complaints roll in about "WAH OUR BROWSER CAN'T USE CSS3 COLUMNSSSSSSS". There was a time to complain, and that was during the FIVE YEARS we were using them in the type effectiveness.

Looks pretty good, except I don't like how Kangaskhan and Regigias' names are circled...

Those look awesome, except that the Normal types are being circled, like insomniac said. (Finally your name is ASCII-friendly!)

ONE F-ING COLUMN. LOL.

They're being circled because of the little note at the bottom. It's the STAB marker in addition to boldness, just in case someone comes along and says "I CAN'T READ WHITE TEXT".

They're being circled because of the little note at the bottom. It's the STAB marker in addition to boldness, just in case someone comes along and says "I CAN'T READ WHITE TEXT".

It looks awkward anyway. We had only bold before and I think it worked well, so why need to overhighlight it?

But unlike the other Gym Leaders, Brock and Misty are also main characters, and the main characters get split according to media.
You'll note that "Brock (anime)" and "Misty (anime)" were created not even two months ago. After it was mentioned on this thread that it would be a really good idea to split them. Because, despite being main characters in the anime, they were GLs first. And their articles were huge because of it.

That's the reason for their split (not before it was complained that then, all the other parts of their articles would have to be split, such as from the manga section). Not only were they prominent characters, but because the articles themselves were just unnecessarily too big.

Big articles, slower load time (not only for viewing, but editing). This is my point.

Ok TTEchidna, I don't know why you put this there since no one can answer on the site. In response to you comment on Suzuran Island. Yes, it is most likely that it is the island from the games, but since the games don't mention it I don't think we can really put it on the site....but it's up to you guys.

It looks awkward anyway. We had only bold before and I think it worked well, so why need to overhighlight it?

Because WHITE TEEEEEXT.

You'll note that "Brock (anime)" and "Misty (anime)" were created not even two months ago. After it was mentioned on this thread that it would be a really good idea to split them. Because, despite being main characters in the anime, they were GLs first. And their articles were huge because of it.

That's the reason for their split (not before it was complained that then, all the other parts of their articles would have to be split, such as from the manga section). Not only were they prominent characters, but because the articles themselves were just unnecessarily too big.

Big articles, slower load time (not only for viewing, but editing). This is my point.

Edit in sections. Those articles aren't big at all. 35,000 bytes, psh. Longest move page is Hyper Beam, and it doesn't hold a candle to the longest page, Contest combination.

As for Brock and Misty, there's a difference there. There aren't 467 Gym Leaders, all equally featured and able to be assembled in teams of 4. Brock and Misty are the exception, not the rule, and like May and Dawn's game pages don't have all their anime info, Brock and Misty's shouldn't have either.

We can't just split off articles if they get big. There has to be a good reason to. We're not going to split the list of Pokémon by National Pokédex number next, are we? It's "too long", with around 150 Pokémon rumored to be in the works for Gen V, putting us at 643. Takes a while to load, too. It'll be about the size of Thunderbolt this time next year.

Anyway, take a look at the prettyful entry I made for the pages to revamp them. I'll be asking for a vote: 5, 4, 3, or 2 columns.

Of the ones you've got up, I prefer four columns. Five columns would probably look too squashed, esecially for those people who don't have widescreen displays, while fewer columns makes it look too inflated and stretched.

While the border around the name does look a little weird, I agree that it can be difficult to see the bold with white text, so it needs something other than the bold. My only other idea for that would be to put the border around the relevant type, but that would also look weird, not to mention being rather difficult to do. (although personally I don't think it's that hard to tell when a move has STAB, especially now that the background is the move's type's colour, and the types of the Pokémon are coloured too. Do they even need to stand out that much?)

Back
Top Bottom