• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would Misty be a good female rival for Ash?

Should Misty become Ash's rival(if she wasn't already)?

• Absolutely Yes! It would make me, and many fans very happy!

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • No, nothing against Misty, but I'd rather not

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Yes, but not his main rival, secondary maybe

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • No, her being Ash's rival does not interest me

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
At Bulbagarden, every thread either becomes one of Scott's rants or a Misty thread.

Frankly, I almost like that at tCoD, no one goes to the Anime forum. It saves me the frustration.

Why would we stop discussing Misty just to please her haters? For every hater there's a lover, especially outside of these forums, if you asked a random, neutral person. I know what they'd say the majoirty of the time, because I have.

Our survey said... :p

I don't think that she would be a good rival. Bye.

At least you were honest, and kept it real. Thank you

And CrackFox, you are awesome for helping out always! :)

People, it is a yes, or no question, and I am simply asking you to elaborate or if you choose not to, don't. I won't get offended, please be honest, if not, than it is an insult.

It really isn't rocket sience. If you truly hate something, you act like it doesn't exist. If people don't like Misty threads, then do us a favor and don't respond.

Also, Weedle was great, I respect him cause he always spoke his mind, shame he was banned.

Since majority of posters didnt bothered to give decent reply,i will display my opinion regarding this.

If we go back into past,Misty was acting like pseudo rival to Ash in certain situations(when she battled him in gym,for Totodile,or in Whirl Cup tournament),so seeing her being put in more serious role regarding whole rivarly wouldnt be such a unbeliavable and bad thing persay.

If anything it would bring benefit on several counts:
-considering her goal of becoming bst water trainer in world(water master)is going nowhere in gym at this point,putting her in rival role would allow for her to develp her skills as trainer,learn more about water types and battles,catch more pokemon in wild aswell battling stronger trainers.
-her return in recccuring role would allow to see her more often directly being connected to story plot,making her important character unlike its case now being in doomland appearng once after every 5-6 years.Of course return to main cast would be deal thing for fans,but this is by light years better than current situation.
now that i brought up fans,this move would please older audience,introducing established character already to new generations of kids,aswell being good for TV ratings.

Now for a main rival,that probably wouldnt work out well,but as secondary it could work.

As for those hardcore haters,who are against having Misty in any shape or form in this anime.Who cares?
Show doesnt cater to them,and since every character has haters by this logic noone should be in pokemon series.

Misty's character soon will fadeaway forever, she won't even get cameos in future, wirters got no reason to do anything with her.

Sure they do,to develop her more,

But, in a large sense, there is a lack of respect. I want this thread to be taken seriously. So, may you answer the simple question. How do you feel about a future Ash and Misty rivalry?

If you can't answer the question, please do me a favor my man, and GTFO!!! KTHNXBYE
Your post has internet shortcuts for the English Language, your argument is quite invalid. But if you want me to answer the question, no. Mostly cause Misty's appearance will never happen, and secondly, if it were to happen by some sort of act of God(or some really potent drugs) the connection between the two would already exist, and the challenge of her being a rival would be slightly awkward. Not to mention the writing would go downhill and straight into shippers-ville and we definitely do not want that.

And, I like him :p
No wonder you're defending Cascada, you're Weedle's groupie. Wait Cascada supports him as well? Well this explains everything.

Of course I get lumped in with people who don't like the character.

Getcha Clue Pills here! Only $9.99 and you'll get a lick of sense! Clue Pills, only $9.99!

Seriously, instead of making every thread about Kasumi, why don't you do something like: "Would Any of the Girls Make a Good Rival for Satoshi?"

It would end up being the same Kasumi crap, but you cold at least try to appear open.

And you know, she's just that, a character. Not even one on a really good show for that matter. Why don't you go and... I don't know... Get a job? Worry about the state of the world? Raise a family? All of those things are more productive than complaining about a character on a anime for ten-year olds!

No. She wouldn't. She just wouldn't challenge Ash in the way Gary and Paul challenged him. Gary forced Ash to work that extra harder to bridge the distance as he taunted him all the way while Paul challenges all of Ash's values and beliefs.
Ash surpassed her as a trainer a long time ago.

No wonder you're defending Cascada, you're Weedle's groupie. Wait Cascada supports him as well? Well this explains everything.

And together we're not the fucking Kray Twins. Calm down people this Is a thread about love for a fictional character. Don't all spit your dummies out at once.

Your post has internet shortcuts for the English Language, your argument is quite invalid. But if you want me to answer the question, no. Mostly cause Misty's appearance will never happen, and secondly, if it were to happen by some sort of act of God(or some really potent drugs) the connection between the two would already exist, and the challenge of her being a rival would be slightly awkward. Not to mention the writing would go downhill and straight into shippers-ville and we definitely do not want that.

See you are capable of giving your opinion without posting blind hatred. Now I have a little bit of respect for you.

Why would we stop discussing Misty just to please her haters? For every hater there's a lover, especially outside of these forums, if you asked a random, neutral person. I know what they'd say the majoirty of the time, because I have.

Our survey said... :p

No one hates her. You're just opening threads when you know it makes no sense.

And since it's been confirmed she's not going to be a main character again in the next region - what should have been enough to make you stop - this phenomenon is only growing for some reason.

No one hates her. You're just opening threads when you know it makes no sense.

And since it's been confirmed she's not going to be a main character again n the next region - what should have been enough to make you stop - this phenomenon is only growing for some reason.

Firstly i'm not the one who opened this thread, and secondly it's HYPOTHETICAL, no one expects it to happen or Is claiming it will. Her fans like imagining her in different roles in general conversation, and by posting it in the anime section Is giving others the opportunity to have there say.

Unfortunately it always gets to nasty, but I commend Cascada for having the courage to continue with these kinds of threads, seen as you get branded very badly for it.

And since it's been confirmed she's not going to be a main character again n the next region - what should have been enough to make you stop - this phenomenon is only growing for some reason.

It seems you misunderstood point of this thread.Rivals arent main characters so those appareantly "sacred words" from interview doesnt apply to whole rivarly proposition.If misty were to become rivsal,she would become reccuring character.

About her chances to be main again,i rather wouldnt go into that but nothing is "set in stone".Writers constantly change plans they attempted to go originally with as history of this anime showed,so chance of Misty coming back isnt completely out.

Unfortunately it always gets to nasty, but I commend Cascada for having the courage to continue with these kinds of threads, seen as you get branded very badly for it.

You know whats really sad?That 90% of posters here are incapable of discussing Misty maturely.Instead of giving their opinions contributing to thread,they openly attack people who made these topics.

Thank you very much, and thanks to Pokemon fan 132 to for always giving, well, thought-out respectful critiques.

You know, back on Serebii as J-boogie200, I am known for being optimistic and one of the nicest people. Here, I am seen in a different light, accused of being different people(which has been settled by the mods), have been seen as being a crazed fanboy, and is ridiculed for his opinions. But I don't care, I'm standing up for my beliefs.

But if Iteru and Trainer Yuself can love Ursula, Scott can love Gliscor, Piplup can love Scott, Gible can love Gible,

We can't love Misty, bull shit!!! :)

I am turning down this idea for one reason: They do not possess the same goal! She is focused on water pokemon only. Ash seeks to master all pokemon. He already proved he can beat Misty in a regular pokemon battle. She beat him when it came to water pokemon alone. I think this is excusable. Ash doesn't necessarily need to beat people at their own game, he just needs to beat them. I see what you're saying that Misty is the only traveling companion that actively challenged Ash. Their goals just aren't compatible. True, I think Misty would challenge Ash at a heartbeat, but that is because that's just the way she is. Besides, Misty wouldn't just abandon Cerulean Gym like that.

Cascada, keep it up. You'll soon be crowned as the new Weedle McHairybug.

I doubt that, she needs to first go off onto a rant about how May and Dawn are terrible role models for girls because they act like girls rather then masculine like Misty.

I doubt that, she needs to first go off onto a rant about how May and Dawn are terrible role models for girls because they act like girls rather then masculine like Misty.

I'm a guy, Weedle was awesome, and so are May and Dawn. Misty fans don't hate other characters all the time you know.

May and Dawn were the only thing that kept me watching, along with Team Rocket.

I'm a guy, Weedle was awesome, and so are May and Dawn. Misty fans don't hate other characters all the time you know.

May and Dawn were the only thing that kept me watching, along with Team Rocket.

Exactly, I love May almost as much as I love Misty.

I am turning down this idea for one reason: They do not possess the same goal! She is focused on water pokemon only. Ash seeks to master all pokemon.

To be fair,that isnt much of a problem.Ash also faced couple of times one type trainers aside Misty even in league.

Like for example that fire trainer Macy in Johto league(majority of her pokemon in roaster were fire types).Or that girl in Indigo league,which was battling him in grass field specializing in bug and grass types.

Mistys preference for water types wouldnt represent obstale to be a worthwhile rival for Ash.

Besides, Misty wouldn't just abandon Cerulean Gym like that.

Fictional characters dont have free will,if writers decide to bring her back she would leave gym very easily.

If we want to look into things from anime point of view,main reason Misty even stayed at gym was sisters incompetence as she said and implied couple of times,so if adequate replacement is finded or one of sisters becomes more responsible Misty would be free to leave and since her dreams are higher than just being gym leader(reffering to her goal),she would likely decide to travell again(which was even implied in some specials after departure),and by her reaction when she was leaving.

Guess what, what I stated about Weedle was true though. He seemed to champion that May and Dawn were inferior replacements because they were to girly and the only appropriate role models for girls were tomboys like Misty.

I cannot fathom how you can like such an idiotic viewpoint.

@pkmn fan 132: Yes, while Ash has faced trainers specializing in certain types, you do realize they never last more than a single battle? Those trainers weren't rivals. They were just stepping stones to get to the real competition.

Meanwhile, all of Ash's rivals either mirror him or challenge him in a way. Tyson, Harrison and Ritchie were all much more mature than Ash. Morrison and Barry are much more immature and seem to have parallels with his younger self. Gary and Paul challenge him and force him to push himself to his limits. One thing they all share in common? None of them specialized. Why? Because while single-type opponents are good to train against, when it comes to actual rivalries, they're quite boring. By having trainers with multiple types, you can have a lot more interesting and fun match ups, lots of different strategies in one battle(as opposed to one that exploits the weaknesses of the opponent and a back up strategy incase that fails) and rivalries amongst the pokemon too.

Misty fits none of these roles. She played mentor for a bit but Ash grew up and her input wasn't needed anymore(inb4 Brock is still around - Brock can still teach Ash how to take care of his pokemon when they're injured and there's no pokemon center nearby and keeps Ash alive with his cooking). She doesn't even have the benefit of having an established, unique style. She doesn't challenge Ash's beliefs, she doesn't make him want to prove himself as a trainer. Thus, she isn't a good rival.

and holy shit, you guys aren't friggin' martyrs - get a grip on yourselves and realize people are going to disagree with you.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom