• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would Misty be a good female rival for Ash?

Should Misty become Ash's rival(if she wasn't already)?

• Absolutely Yes! It would make me, and many fans very happy!

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • No, nothing against Misty, but I'd rather not

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Yes, but not his main rival, secondary maybe

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • No, her being Ash's rival does not interest me

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
One thing they all share in common? None of them specialized. Why? Because while single-type opponents are good to train against, when it comes to actual rivalries, they're quite boring. By having trainers with multiple types, you can have a lot more interesting and fun match ups, lots of different strategies in one battle(as opposed to one that exploits the weaknesses of the opponent and a back up strategy incase that fails) and rivalries amongst the pokemon too.

Thats a matter of opinion,there were dozen matches with trainers who used one type being very interesting.Whether some battle is entertaining or not depends on personal taste and judging by people who support this idea not everyone share the same opinion as you.

She doesn't challenge Ash's beliefs, she doesn't make him want to prove himself as a trainer. Thus, she isn't a good rival.

Whenever she challenged him in battles,competitive fire in those two was raised up as matches for Totodile or Whirl Cup showed with Ash wanting to prove himself as trainer,so that statement isnt exactly accurate.

Bias aside from both sides,Misty could easily be good rival for Ash if writers wanted to take down on this route.

As for the topic title, no.

And yes, we've all noticed all these Misty threads are always made by the same exact person. Why he keeps doing it is beyond me.

I said single type matches don't make for good rivalries - I never said they were boring. But good for rivalries they are not because rivals are meant to appear periodically to challenge the protagonist - when you have the same type of pokemon challenging a variety of different ones, that's hardly a challenge.

Ash gets competitive with ANYONE. Everytime he battles someone, he gets competitive. It's in his nature. But just because they get competitive, that doesn't mean Misty challenges him - she doesn't make him try to rethink his strategy. She doesn't keep him on his toes. She doesn't make him prove his beliefs as a trainer.

And the totodile duel is hardly a good example because they were going for the same pokemon. And Ash kicked her butt even after Poliwag evolved and after she used a dirty tactic with Togepi. That's hardly a challenging battle.

EDIT: and I'm sick to death of that opinion argument. Use something else once in awhile, wont you?

Last edited:
Yes, I think Misty would be a good rival for Ash. And no, I don't belive or want her comeback, but I liked her attitude and I'd like to see someone more like her in the future. Not every main rival must be so nasty and distant to Ash like Gary was and Paul is.

when you have the same type of pokemon challenging a variety of different ones, that's hardly a challenge.

How so?E4 members mostly use one type but regardless of that they every time wipe the floor with Ash and his pokemon.Ok rather radical example but point stands.

Trainers who specialize in one type make sure to overcome their weaknesses developing strategies and tehinicques which would make things go in their favor.

Battle against Macy in Johto for example showed that.

Ash gets competitive with ANYONE. Everytime he battles someone, he gets competitive. It's in his nature. But just because they get competitive, that doesn't mean Misty challenges him - she doesn't make him try to rethink his strategy. She doesn't keep him on his toes. She doesn't make him prove his beliefs as a trainer.

Thats because their rivarly was never exploited and pushed further.If she became "real" rival posing threat regarding Ash goal,things would change(woulnt they?).Hence why this topic was made to question how would idea of Misty becoming rival reflect on Ash storyline and how well it would work.

And the totodile duel is hardly a good example because they were going for the same pokemon. And Ash kicked her butt even after Poliwag evolved and after she used a dirty tactic with Togepi.

Ok,how about Whirl cup than.Ash had ambition to win this competition,just as much as Misty causing respectable confrontation.Battle at gym is good example aswell.

Talking about Bulbasaurs win,that was plot power.Mistys newly evolved Poliwhirl was in bigger advantage over bulbasaur in that battle dominating,until solar beam was unleashed.

When writers want that someone wins,he will win regardless of experience.Maybe one of best examples was Dawns win over May in Wallace Cup.

Last edited:
Their rivalry was never exploited because they never had one to begin with. and I'm pointing out all the reasons why it wouldn't work and why she should never come back as one based on what we saw from Misty during her time on the show, instead of all the "what ifs" you like basing your line of thought on.

Lol "plot power"? Funny you should say that considering the fact that you deny Psyduck's headache during the whirl cup as a DEM. So what if Poliwhirl was newly evolved? It wasn't dominating, it was less experienced and it had a type disadvantage. And it's made quite clear in the anime that evolution doesn't mean anything - look at how Monferno proceeded to own Croconaw anyway. Besides, Bulbasaur has always been a tough little guy and it's not like water type attacks affect grass types much. Besides, by that logic, everything is ~plot power~. Including Misty's only win against Ash.

And yeah, experience doesn't mean everything, that's true. But Dawn is a skilled coordinator and that win was rightfully hers - it wasn't like Piplup pulled an evolution out of no where or relied on some DEM attack to pull it through. Besides, it wasn't like Dawn completely owned May(who by the way left for Johto to find her own coordinating style, which she lacked because her former style cost her the grandfestival).

Jesus, it seems like it is always the same people who start this threads. But to answer the question no....just no.

and I'm pointing out all the reasons why it wouldn't work and why she should never come back as one based on what we saw from Misty during her time on the show, instead of all the "what ifs" you like basing your line of thought on.

Your kinda contradicting yourself in here.First you say how they never had rivarly,just to try later on using as counter argument "how this didnt worked in past".What exactly?When Misty was travelling with Ash they were friends,not having much rivarly between them therefore we dont know how this would work out since it never happened.

Reason why ifs here needs to be used is coming from one simple fact.Ash and Misty were never serious rivals,so we cant base future outcomes on past events which didnt happened.
Even if it did,as counter argument against your statement can be used fact how writing isnt the same as it was before.Writers improve,things get handled better and direct example is treatment of Ash rivals like Paul compared to rivarly he had with Gary.

Lol "plot power"? So what if Poliwhirl was newly evolved? It wasn't dominating, it was less experienced and it had a type disadvantage.

If you rewatch battle you can easily notice how after evolution Bulbasaur was put in worse position.Poliwhirl with ease was confrontating Bulbasaur grass attacks like razor leaf,outmatched his close range attacks with his size and bodyslam aswell bringing him on edge of losing with bubblebeam.Its quite clear how Bulbasaur had hard time,pulling out solarbeam as his last resort which would bring outcome of battle in his favor.

p.s.When exactly i defended Psyducks win not being DEM?However fault for lost was on Ash,since he was stupid enough to forgett about Psyducks hidden power.

Last edited:
Plot? Oh, I guess I can say Ash realizes that there is no such thing as a pokemon master, and he decides to pursue something else. Brock revolts due to continually being shafted all the time, and takes back the pokemon he left at Pewter Gym by force, proceeding to go on a mad rampage with Steelix. Dawn has a battle with apparently new girl over who gets to take over the show, which turns into a battle royale when May and Misty want to also take it over. But all of their efforts are for naught, as Pika realizes his power as one of the lost Pokegods, and he destroys all humans so that pokemon can take their rightful place as the stars of the show.

As much as I love Misty, no. There was no dynamic rivalry, also they both have different goals so I can see that working without it being "hey look fans! We brought Misty back!"

Guess what, what I stated about Weedle was true though. He seemed to champion that May and Dawn were inferior replacements because they were to girly and the only appropriate role models for girls were tomboys like Misty.

I cannot fathom how you can like such an idiotic viewpoint.

He really believed that? Lmao, the whole point of May and Dawn were to get a whole new demographic, little girls tend to be girly, not alot of them are tomboys.......

Ash and Misty didn't even battle more than the other two.

Ash and May had at least 3-4 battles if I recall correctly, and Ash and Dawn are always having trainer/practice matches together.

Misty didn't even battle Ash more than the other two did.

He really believed that? Lmao, the whole point of May and Dawn were to get a whole new demographic, little girls tend to be girly, not alot of them are tomboys.......

Interesting thing is though that Misty was just as popular among little girls.

Ash and May had at least 3-4 battles if I recall correctly, and Ash and Dawn are always having trainer/practice matches together.

Misty didn't even battle Ash more than the other two did.

Im pretty sure Cascada was reffering to real batles to win some prize or competition,and practice matches dont count toward that.

To be fair,Misty had more rivarly moments with Ash than May and Dawn did.

Interesting thing is though that Misty was just as popular among little girl.

Yeah, and most of them were likely tomboys. I bet the percentage of girls watching pokemon increased with the introduction of contests and May. Contest and May opened up a whole new demographic, that wasn't there when Misty was around.

Last edited:
Anyway, on topic, Wow... 3 hours and already 4 pages...

To me, no they wouldn't be as good rivals, since none of their battles were interesting, as they never really pushed the other to surpass themselves and progress. None of their battles were really that compelling either since it was either interrupted or had some sort of DEM/comic relief moment in it that just made the battle not so enjoyable.

Compare their match in the Whirl Cup to Ash v May's match in the Terracotta contest... yeah, now that's the sort of matches and intensity you expect from rivals. In all of the Ash v Misty matches, there was just the spark that makes rivalries work that was cruelly lacking. So no...

But if Iteru and Trainer Yuself can love Ursula, Scott can love Gliscor, Piplup can love Scott, Gible can love Gible.

I see what you did there... :D Never knew you to be a shipper...

Ash battled more against Misty, than any other of his friends I believe. That is fact!

You're mistaken on this. He battled more against Dawn, Brock, maybe May...

and holy shit, you guys aren't friggin' martyrs - get a grip on yourselves and realize people are going to disagree with you.

This.

Even though I like Misty, I don't think she would be a great rival for Ash.

We need to know what her goal involves. I always thought that it was just like Ash's goal, specifically using water Pokemon. But if that is true, she would've had to collect badges. And she didn't do it while she was traveling on the show.

Mostly, to be a rival you need to have the same goal as the person you have a rivlry with. So obviously Misty couldn't be one for Ash unless she decides to do what Ash is doing.

Yes!! I think she would make a great rival for Ash. I really want her to come back in some way, and this seems the most possible and probable :D

EDIT: I can't believe some people, let us like who we like!

Last edited:
My answer is no. Because:
1) Misty and Ash already have a history as travelling friends that would become awkward in such a situation.
2) Rivals compete for the same goal. Misty isn't competing for the same goal as Ash, as she is a water type trainer and doesn't participate in leagues.
3) The battles Ash and Misty have had were in my opinion dissapointing as the writers seemed to go out of their way not to make one win properly against the other. (Either by cutting the battle short or using Psyduck.)
4) Misty is a Gym Leader and Ash regularly defeats Gym Leaders, even the very strong ones.
5) Part of the fun of a rival is discovering their personality and backstory. Misty already has this stuff so the rivalry wouldn't be as interesting.
6) Misty is a gym leader from Kanto. What would she be doing in Isshu/other region? And if she was travelling there, wouldn't she want to join Ash?

So, yeah, no.

*covers face in sorrow*

Ya know....I just...I just think I can live in a world where people keep making Misty threads...

I'M JUST NOT STRONG ENOUGH DAMMIT!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom