• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Gen V Pokemon to be absent from Isshu

Flint on the otherhand managed to at least have a "heat" theme with a Steelix, a stage an Onix can get to apparently, if they dig enough deep under ground and are tempered by the earth's heat and pressure and a hot air balloon. Who knows about Lopunny, but people think that creature is"hot".

Well, all of Flint's pokemon knew a Fire-type move as well. If I remember correctly, Steelix had Fire Fang, Lopunny had Fire Punch, and Drifblim had Will-O-Whisp. So they were able to keep the theme that way.

That was actually pretty funny.

"See guys? It's sorta, kinda like a Fire-type. Isn't that awesome!?!"

They've never spent that time making things balanced.

Oh! I thought spliting special into two stats, adding a new type that was flat out immune to psychic and SE against it while making the the types that were SE against psychic already have half decent Pokemon with decent enough moves with OK learn bases were all an effort to balance psychic types (and by extension, the rest of the game), silly me.

Oh! I thought spliting special into two stats, adding a new type that was flat out immune to psychic and SE against it while making the the types that were SE against psychic already have half decent Pokemon with decent enough moves with OK learn bases were all an effort to balance psychic types (and by extension, the rest of the game), silly me.

They really haven't concerned themselves with balancing the types since Gen II. And it shows in regards to the overpowered Fighting, Ice, and Ground-type attacks, the underpowered Grass and Poison-type attacks, the overpowered Water and Steel-type Pokemon, and the incredibly underpowered Ice-Type Pokemon.

As long as we got some good Poison types in Isshu, I'll be happy.

If Koffing and Weezing are absent, however, I will personally see to it that all hell breaks loose.

i guess im one of the people who want to see previous generations downplayed a little/more than a little.

For example: Tradition says that dragons should be difficult to find, long to train and overpowered like no ones business. Personally, i would be fine with slightly weaker, more common dragons (modeled after wyverns perhaps?). This pokemon would also be available semi-early in the game.

I also support new type pairings (seriously, at this point Dragon/Flying and Rock/Ground are soooo cliched) How about Dragon/Grass and Rock/Psy?

i guess im one of the people who want to see previous generations downplayed a little/more than a little.

For example: Tradition says that dragons should be difficult to find, long to train and overpowered like no ones business. Personally, i would be fine with slightly weaker, more common dragons (modeled after wyverns perhaps?). This pokemon would also be available semi-early in the game.
that is a good idea

I also support new type pairings (seriously, at this point Dragon/Flying and Rock/Ground are soooo cliched) How about Dragon/Grass and Rock/Psy?

i like to see a Grass/Steel type and maybe another Water/Fighting Type, poliwrath just doesn't cut it anymore compare to the new dual fighting types available.

Sure it'll be great to see ever-present annoyances such as Rattata, Tentacool and Machop put aside for this generation, but that will only lead to whatever is brought in to replace them becoming detested just as much a few generations down the line.

Having said that, I'm all for new Pokémon. It wouldn't be realistic [and I use that word incredibly loosely] if new Pokémon were not introduced regularly, the same way that new species are found regularly in real life

If Hoenn didn't get rid of them, I doubt these guys will. They've become a staple annoyance in the series.

YEAH, I agree, maybe those will be THE ONLY ONES that will return. After all, we have comaptibility to get the previous 493... altough it'll be pretty boring to transfer such a big ammount of monsters from one game to another.

Anyways, just like we never get the same protagonist, it's time to don't get the same Pokémon. I REALLY love Alakazam and Machamp even before I played Red version in 1998, but I want one game in which they don't appear.

We already have Rock/Psychic. Lunatone and Solrock.

And I just showed it had one dragon and one ghost family, so how is it any better? What, fire types the only thing that count now?

There's a common perception that Dragon and Ghost-types are Special Pokemon that are fairly unique. Regions generally don't have more than 1 set of dragon or ghost and in most generations they're notoriously difficult to catch.

Fire, on the other hand, has generally been portrayed as one of the series' main types it usually focuses on, along with Water, Grass, Electric, and Normal. This is reflected in how the Dragon type resists nearly all of them to make it clear that Dragons are strong against "common" strategies and Pokemon. So there's a general perception that the Pokemon of the 5 main types most commonly depicted in marketing - Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, and Normal - should be fairly easy to obtain. And this is true for all but Fire.

There's a common perception that Dragon and Ghost-types are Special Pokemon that are fairly unique. Regions generally don't have more than 1 set of dragon or ghost and in most generations they're notoriously difficult to catch.

Fire, on the other hand, has generally been portrayed as one of the series' main types it usually focuses on, along with Water, Grass, Electric, and Normal. This is reflected in how the Dragon type resists nearly all of them to make it clear that Dragons are strong against "common" strategies and Pokemon. So there's a general perception that the Pokemon of the 5 main types most commonly depicted in marketing - Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, and Normal - should be fairly easy to obtain. And this is true for all but Fire.
Pokemon types also tend to emulate nature, hence the large number of water and grass, since, if you look outside, they're everywhere.

Finding a place for fire to naturally exist isn't easy unless your shoving a volcano in every game.

Finding a place for fire to naturally exist isn't easy unless your shoving a volcano in every game.

You'd think this was the case, but how many places in nature can you find raw electricity.

And yet look at all of the electric type Pokemon. While they do congregate around artificial power plants, many of them such as Pikachu and Pachirisu and Shinx live in the wild, not connected to raw sources of electricity at all. Ditto Steel-type Pokemon.

We need more Fire-Types, even if not much of it exists naturally in this world. It could even just be based on heat from the sun, or the embodiment of a fever, or something. Just more Fire.

You'd think this was the case, but how many places in nature can you find raw electricity.

And yet look at all of the electric type Pokemon. While they do congregate around artificial power plants, many of them such as Pikachu and Pachirisu and Shinx live in the wild, not connected to raw sources of electricity at all. Ditto Steel-type Pokemon.

And yet, counting evolutions and legendaries as of Gen IV, there are 33 fire types and 28 electric types, 17 fully evolved fire types and 15 fully evolved electric types.

Fire types, along with electrics have very little to ase themselves off of, other than taking any random animal and having them shoot fire or electricity. There's a shit load of aquatic creatures and plants or burrowing creatures (for miniral egg group Pokemon)

On the subject of finding Fire-types, while playing my SoulSilver today I had run into a wild Magmar in the Burnt Tower... which was pretty out there to me, I wasn't expecting to find any Fire-types, especially a powerful one like Magmar, inside an ancient building like that of all places. But then again, it's the "Burnt" Tower, so it kinda does make sense.

ANYHOO... I was pretty much expecting them to pull another R/S/E with us on bringing in new Pokemon, as in a whole lot... but the news itself of older Gen Pokemon being absent in Isshu is something I haven't heard of until now.:-/ Boy do the times change... I feel old.

Does anyone else find it extremely unusual that they haven't released a Gen V Pokémon that's related to an older one at all? Not even a baby Pokémon.

I mean, even Gen III introduced and promoted Azurill and Wynaut, even though they were the only Gen III Pokémon related to older ones.

Does anyone else find it extremely unusual that they haven't released a Gen V Pokémon that's related to an older one at all? Not even a baby Pokémon.

I mean, even Gen III introduced and promoted Azurill and Wynaut, even though they were the only Gen III Pokémon related to older ones.

Probably to hammer down the point that they're separating themselves from previous gens, or in response to the last generation which took it a bit too far (which I imagine was in response to Gen III not having enough).

Only proves my claims that Game Freak knows no middle ground.

Back
Top Bottom