• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

I found out Ive been pronouncing Scizor wrong. The anime pronounces it like 'scissor', but I say 'Sigh-zor'. And thats not gonna change haha.

Also, I pronounce Suicune as 'Soo-i-kyoon'.
Im sur there r others but I cant think of them right now

I pronounce Arceus as "ar-KAY-us". "AR-see-us" sounds like "arse", which, as I'm sure everyone here knows, is a slang term for buttocks.

I freely alternate between "ray-KWAY-zuh" and "ray-KWAH-zah".

Jirachi is weird for me. Usually, I use the correct Japanese pronunciation, "jee-RAH-chee". However, I am occasionally known to say "jee-RAH-kee" or even "jye-RAH-kee".

Then there's Giratina. I say "jee-RAH-tih-nah".

I also pronounce Pachirisu as "pah-chee-rees". The removal of the letter "u" results from my having grown accustomed to silencing it or cutting it short when using Japanese words. As well, I don't put emphasis on any particular syllable, again resulting from learning Japanese.

In Bulbagarden's own Knight Pokémon University RPG, I intend to parody this concept by having one of my characters incessantly pronounce Magikarp as "MAY-jih-karp". :lol:

Arceus as "Are" and "Seuss," and way back when, my cousin and I used to refer to Suicune as "Sukescene"(not Suke as in "Su+kay" "Suke" as in rhymes with "Luke"), lol.

Arceus: Are-KAY-Us. Because the right way sounds like 'arse' and it's weird. :lol:

Rayquaza: Ray-KWAH-Za. Ray-KWAY-Za sounds stupid.

Raikou: Rye-Cow. Ever since I first saw it when Gold and Silver came out, that's how I've always pronounced it. Just sounded right!

Suicune: Sue-kyoon. Apparently it's Swee-koon. Am I right?

Skarmory: Skar-MORE-ee. I put the emphasis on the 'mor' rather than SKAR-more-ee.

Piloswine: Pill-o-swine. Apparently the correct way is 'PIE-lo-swine.

Cradily: I say CRAY-dill-ee. Someone told me it was Crad-ill-ee. Or was it the other way round. Either way that's how I pronounce it. Can someone confirm please?

Regice: I say Reji-ice, as if I'm pronouncing two 'I's. Is it just Rej-ice?

I say Cray-dill-ee too. I think that's the correct way to say it, though.

i used to pronounced Illumise (ill-oo-mee-say) as (ill-oo-mice)
i still pronounce Ho-oh as Ho-ho, tho

Do Japanese names count? I always call the names by their romanization like Sirnight (Gardevoir) as opposed to how the Japs pronounce it. :)

I said "sweesoon" for Suicune for the longest time. I do not know why.

How do people say Rattata's name? I say it rat-TA-ta, but I've heard it said RAT-tata.

Rattata - rat-a-tat-a. Didn't notice you only said 'ta' twice instead of three times when I was little.

Also, I've never heard the official pronunciation of 'Mt. Coronet.' But I have a habit of pronouncing it 'coro-neigh' and making the T silent for some reason. But I still don't know if it's really coro-neigh or just coro-net.

Groudon: Graw-dawn
Arceus: Ar-see-yus
Dialga: Die-yell-gah
Aggron: Egg-rawn
Growlithe: Grow-life.
Phione: Fee-own

I just say Coro-net.

Come to think of it, there's a few game locations that I'm not sure how to pronounce as well.

How do you pronounce Cianwood? I've always said it as Shy-an-wood. Is that right?

Another one is Oreburgh. I say Ore-burg. But the end is the same as Edinburgh, which is Ed-in-buh-ruh as in Borough.

How do you pronounce Cianwood? I've always said it as Shy-an-wood. Is that right?

Another one is Oreburgh. I say Ore-burg. But the end is the same as Edinburgh, which is Ed-in-buh-ruh as in Borough.

No. Si-an-wood.

It's because it's based on Pittsburgh. And it's pronounced the name way as Pittsburgh.

I pronounce unchanged names as they were in Japanese, even with the Japanese R if it's there. Gyarados is "gya-ra-dos"

Giratina is as in Japan "giratina" with stress on the "ra"
Phione sort of sounds Italian, so I think of it with that sort of pronounciation in mind. "fyo-ne"
Arceus is "ar-se-us", again matching the Japanese instead of the Greek spelling.
Grotle is "grow-tle"
Rayquaza is "ray-kwuh-za"
Gardevoir is French, so "gahr-de-vwahr" (almost-silent Rs)
Tauros is "tor-ros" as in toro.

Hehe, I used to pronounce Lt. Surge as "El-Tee Surge....." I was a kid, come onnnn~~, lol.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom