• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

Gardevoir is French, so "gahr-de-vwahr" (almost-silent Rs)

I do this too, having learned French in school. Kind of. Sometimes I just pronounce the "r"s.

@Iron Mask Marauder: I'm pretty sure that is the official way of pronouncing it... the Regi-ice, I mean.

Swee-Cune
En-Tay
Blas-Tuss (you don't pronounce it tor-TOYs)
Used to say Jear-A-Dos
Pi-Jut
Za-Too

I also prefer to say "Ar-see-us" instead of "Ar-kee-us".

Sometimes "Ar-say-oos".

Giratina is my main 'can't pronounce' one. I've always said JEAR-ah-TAH-nah for some reason (apparently it's gear-AH-tih-NA).

Gardevoir I never noticed I pronounced 'wrong' until now. I'm lazy on the 'oi' part and it comes out gar-day-vwahrrr, but never gar-day-VOYeR.

Then there's Arceus. Oh shit, how do you pronounce it anyways? I've always stuck to Latin (Deus ex Machina) and gone with ar-SAY-oos, although going with Latin it really should be ar-KAY-oos, oops.

Also, what do you mean Rayquaza is not ray-QWAH-zuh? I've seen people add random 'r's in the middle or the end, too.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I say Raikou as "Rye-ko". Saying it the proper way just sounds silly to me, lol.

I say Gardevoir as "Gar-de-voar" instead of the whole fancy "vwar" thing, haha.

Yeah earlier in the thread(Too lazy to quote) someone said that "Ray-quay-za" sounds stupid in which I agree 100%...

Maybe it because of Battle Revolution, but I tend to pronounce Dusknoir as "Dusk-no-are". Also Arceus as "Ar-see-us".

Rayquaza=Ray-qwar-za. In the anime they say Ray-qway-za and it just pisses me off xD

Doduo=Doedoe. Cba to say it properly xD

Regice=Regi-ice

Arceus=Ar-see-us

Yeah earlier in the thread(Too lazy to quote) someone said that "Ray-quay-za" sounds stupid in which I agree 100%...

That was me haha! It does sound silly, but apparently it IS supposed to be Ray-KWAY-Za. Because it's name is derived from Ray and Quasar, which is some sort of galaxy.

I have a wierd way of pronouncing pokémans:
Xatu: Ksaa-too
Rayquaza: Ray-koo-assa
Milotic: Mee-low-tick
Groudon: Groooooooooooooooo-don (Seriously)
Golbat: Ghoul-bat
And a ton more I have forgot in the past *will update if more comes to mind.*

Arceus (AR-see-us)

This is the correct pronunciation. The dub just messed up badly in the movie dub...

Scizor (SEE-zor) - I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be pronounced like scissor, but I also heard its name pronounced this way in the dub and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Plusle (Pluh-slee) - sounds better than "Plus-uhl".

Plusle (Pluh-slee) - sounds better than "Plus-uhl".

When I first heard it, I thought it was supposed to be spelt "Plussle". I maintain that that spelling is better representative of the pronunciation.

*bump*

For that matter, forget Pokemon names, what about other things?

For example, I pronounce "Sinnoh" as \siˈno\ (SEE-noh) instead of with a short "i" (SIN-noh).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom