• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
simply put, which addition to the games (meaning stuff like steel type, contests, the physical/special split) detracts from the experience of playing the Games?

for me, it was contests. I have tried them (going as far to get the master ribbon with my milotic) and it was miserable. They are boring and a waste of time.

I don't see how an optional side-game detracts from it :/

Breaking the fourth wall with people playing Pokemon in Pokemon is what I think detracts from it.

Or the embracing of memes.

As for actual features, I'm not really sure. Perhaps the walking system in HgSs. It was poorly implemented forcing you to walk only the first Pokemon in your party. What if I wanted to walk another Pokemon but battle with something else? Changing Pokemon before walking up to a trainer in the middle of the game is tedious and isn't something we should have to do, considering it took me all of 5 seconds to find a solution. Make a walk option on the screen.

The introduction of Legendary pokemon to the plot. Now that every game revolves around saving the world, they're cheesier and more child-like.

I dislike contests. I've only done two in three years of playing Pokémon, and lost both.

The introduction of Legendary pokemon to the plot. Now that every game revolves around saving the world, they're cheesier and more child-like.

But Legendary centered plots make it seem more epic. In my opinion anyway.

But I have to agree with the walking Pokemon. It's a great feature, but the fact that it has to be the Pokemon in the first slot sucks. Changing Pokemon take away time.

By far the legendary storylines. Gold and Silver were fine, HGSS were pushing it. RSE and DPPt had ridiculous plots.

So, Ruby was my first game. I knew nothing about Pokemon before picking it up. I am, by no means, a moron. As a kid, I had read half the library, including all of the books with terrible plots.

Ruby's plot beat them all.

So, first of all, there's an evil team who does evil things. All right. When I thought they were just theives, Team Magma was pretty cool to my ten year old mind. Then I learn that they were trying to expand the landmass of the world by trying to erupt a volcano. What. Team Aqua also came into the picture. They made one appearance and then never showed up to help me ever again. What. (I wasn't very knowledgable on the concept of the two versions, so that really confused me.)

Then there's... a Pokemon that's really powerful, able to cause a drought. For me, that was a major wtf moment. If it were so powerful, why was it so easy to awaken? So, Team Magma wakes it up for the purpose of drying out the world. Then, Maxie realizes that... drying out the entire world is a bad thing! Wow! Way to go leader guy, a ten-year-old girl had more sense than you!

So then there's this terrible drought, which no one seems to notice outside of Sootopolis. "Honey, there's no water left. The ocean's dried up and Wailmer are flopping around miserably. Oh well. No biggie." At this point, I ignored the drought and proceeded to play for around a hundred hours, simply levelbusting because I found it fun.

Eventually, I got annoyed with the music and OHKO'd Groudon. I didn't know you could capture it - there was absolutely no indication that you could. In fact, how does a kid even capture a freaking uber?

So, TLDR; Ruby was my first game (favorite game if you count nostalgia as a creditable reason to like something), and even when I was a kid, the target age group... the plot made no sense and completely detracted from my experience. I seriously enjoyed beating up grunts more than I cared about saving the world. XD

I HATE how many HMs are required to get around. Even after the game is effectively finished, if you don't have those HM slaves, you can't just go anywhere you want :| I wouldn't mind so much if HMs were really powerful moves, or at least as good as surf is relative to other water moves.

Fighting with your pokemon out first however... makes sense. Considering it's already out and you just got into a battle. If you want other pokemon to go first, let it take a walk.
I see how you can find it annoying, but it just makes sense.

The kids playing pokemon though is... extremely meta. But I guess it can be handwaved thinking that there are games about pokemon in a world with pokemon...

I guess memes, but that aren't that bad.

I say Defog was the worst. It didn't really apport anything. Flash at least had dark caves being an RPG cliche and did its job well enough. In fact while being undeletable as an HM move is bad, being a TM means you have to buy it several times. Though I think the best way would have been like the desert googles in Hoenn, an item.

I think the safari zone has lately been quite bad. I mean, there are pokemon that make sense having in a safari, but there are other that seem that they just get thrown in there to give you a way to catch them without bothering to further develop their backgrounds as they appearing in an area would.

I also don't like the way they distribute event pokemon without giving... the event. Who cares about getting Celebi, if you don't actually summon it? Or the Azure Flute event. Or pretty much any distribution of a legendary that could have gotten an in-game event instead.

Those few lines of code that gives your opponents a marked advantage over you in the Battle Frontier.

Gamefreak is absolutely sadistic. Fuck you all. Bad luck =/= challenge.

Those few lines of code that gives your opponents a marked advantage over you in the Battle Frontier.

Gamefreak is absolutely sadistic. Fuck you all. Bad luck =/= challenge.

6102008101926AM_oh.jpg

ummm...ok...i got a warning for just a picture. i guess i have to say something evn though the pic says everything i was thinking. well...at least i kno for the future. anyway, i agree with your statement.

Last edited:
I know HMs have been around since the start, but my god! My Pidgeot does not need to learn the move fly to fly me around! It's a bird, it can carry me, I don't need a moveslot for that.

I tend to always have a team of 5 pokemon. Never 6, becasue I need a slot for my HM slave 90% of time. I don't like having HM moves on my party, save Waterfall because it's decent..

Speaking of waterfall, why do you need it..? I'm sure if I have a flying pokemon, I can avoid making my surfing pokemon defy gravity and go up a waterfall.
I can just fly over it.
...Why am I even going through the cave to get to Spear Pillar, I can FLY THERREEE.
kdjaskldjASjdldjskla

Rock smash and strength are irrelevant, too. I'm sure if your pokemon can MOVE the rock, you can easily walk around the rock. Or fly over it. And if the rock is smashable, you should be able to walk over or around it, as well. Same with cuttable trees.

Hey i agree with you! :)

HM's Are annoying as shit

Defog,Whirlpool are the 2 worst HM's

Another thing i hate....
VERSION EXCLUSIVE!

I wish i had a meowth

i have to say version exclusives are good because they sell more games and link cables that way.........HM's can be annoying

I disliked the fact that there are EIGHT necessary HMs, because requiring those to move around with a Pokemon to specially learn the moves is not so hot for me, especially Cut and Defog, but I like the idea of a reusable TM, so I cannot dismiss the additions (I am talking Surf and Waterfall here).

Oh, and Battle Frontier becomes overwhelming when the odds are stacked on the computer's favour (at high levels), which I disliked because the computer gets the advantage that you can only dream of getting, since you cannot exactly get ready for any kind of danger (like One-hit KO moves and critical hits).

Breaking the fourth wall with people playing Pokemon in Pokemon is what I think detracts from it.

That's just like us playing a game called "Animal! Gotta pet 'em All"

Lol.

Anyway, I think that the crimal team coming back in your face when they're gone is annoying, meaning they've run out of ideas, by only including one evil team that just comes back.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom