• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Rayquaza vs Giratina

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Rayquaza vs Giratina

rayquaza.png
VS
giratina.png
/
giratina_origin.png

Okay, this one's kinda obvious.

We have a Dialga/Palkia thread and a Kyogre/Groudon thread, but what about the third members of their trios?

What we have here are two Pokemon that aren't directly related to each other, but have enough in common so as to be compared. Both round off their Generation's "Über" legendary trio, both are third version mascots to their debut games, both have a base stat total of 680. Rayquaza is a fantastic offensive dragon whereas Giratina is a fantastic defensive one. Or conversely, it can go toe to toe with the big green Dragon in it's Origin forme.

Which do you prefer?

Which is more useful?

Who would win in a battle?

Giratina or Rayquaza...hmmm... this is a tough one for me. I'm tempted to choose Giratina because it was the mascot of one of the best Pokemon games to date, but design wise, I like Rayquaza more, so I guess I'll pick him.

Note that this matchup covers Giratina in both it's offensive and defensive formes.

Which do you prefer?: Giratina (Origin Forme)

Which is more useful?: Giratina in general (it can defend in its Altered Forme or sweep in its Origin Forme)

Who would win in a battle?: Rayquaze (its offensive stats are insanely high, allowing it to cause even more massive damage)

#1, Emerald > all other Pokemon Games

#2, Rayquaza is better. It looks really cool too. Rayquaza Is more useful because it can attack from both sides really hard, and it's slightly faster than Giratina. Rayquaza would win, STAB super effective Outrage off of it's attack, you better run.

Rayquaza is more powerful and has a better movepool. Also, his design is the best.

Preference goes with the green dragon.

It blocks weather effects while it is out, and can Swords Dance sweep with Extremespeed.

Not sure if it is better than the other two, but I think it is.

I like the antimatter dragon more. Giratina's design is just epic and it's Dragon/Ghost. GHOST. And it's the mascot of the best Pokemon game to date.

...Sorry, Rayquaza. I love you but I love Giratina more. :x

Ironic. Emerald and Platinum constantly compete for the title of my favorite Pokemon game. But just as I prefer Emerald a little bit more, I have to say the same about Rayquaza.

Giratina and the Distortion World are still very cool, though.

I liek meh giratina. i love rayquaza too....but i think gratina would win if it were able to resit one move, ONE, all it would have to do is send a dragon pulse/draco meteor and rayquaza is gone, because ray has a very low sp def.

I like both dragons... T-T But I went with Rayquaza. He's been a long-standing member of my in-game team.

My favourite Pokemon vs. Not my favourite Pokemon?

Yeah, Rayquaza without a doubt.

Oh and Emerald pwns all other Pokemon games.

Both are my favorite version mascots, but
Emerald pwns all other Pokemon games

As much as I like antimatter dragons... Rayquaza was my favorite overall.
Plus, it's who gets the stat boosts from Ninjask the best. Might be a common tactic, but it's how I destroyed things.

Rayquaza. It's arguably the best mixed sweeper in Ubers. Giratina may have different forms, but neither its defense or offense can hold a candle to Rayquaza.

As much as I agree that Emerald is the best Pokémon game to date, I have to go with Giratina. I like the Sinnoh Dragon Trio a whole lot on the fact they're largely unique Pokémon with astounding designs that control forces beyond anyone's comprehension. They also have a very intriguing relationship and backstory, which is the best made for every Legendary group as of yet in my opinion.

Though Dialga is my favorite of the three, Giratina comes very close. It's got an awesome and different design, has two Formes that change drastically in design and appearance, has an unique Type combination (One of the coolest and most unexpected, as well), and has a more interesting relationship with the other two. I loved all of its involvement in Platinum, too.

I like Rayquaza, don't get me wrong, but it's got a more generic design (Even if still awesome), a Type combination we've seen too much already, and is also one of two Ubers without a signature Move (Eruption and Water Spout aren't exactly signature for Groudon and Kyogre, but it always felt as if it belonged to them more than the other Pokémon that learn it, much like Meteor Mash for Metagross), which lets it down. It does have a much cooler Ability than Giratina's two Formes, but it still falls short.

Not sure who'd win a battle, but I think Rayquaza might be the most likely victor. Still, I gotta go with Giratina, as it's way more unique and interesting.

Rayquaza FTW! Emerald was awesome and all of you know it. But I don't use legends...x3

Rayquaza. I like how he has a better movepool.

Argh! They're both too awesome!!! But I like Giratina...Rayquaza your skills aer used greatly in Wi-Fi battles but Giratina has two forms and looks more frightening...

Back
Top Bottom