• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted, mor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

Ok, how about we write angry articles about how Nintendo sucks because of this incident all over the internet?

That'll just cause even more trouble.

Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

I know I am very late but I was enjoying reading on Serebii his walkthrough. It was not ruining the game for me, infact it was making me want the English versions to come out even more, considering it will probably take me months to finish (Got HG on day of release and now only just into Kanto). I was enjoying looking at all the new Pokémon and thinking about which looked like I would want them on my team (Already picked out 9 possible). So now hearing that Nintendo wants all the images down does infact anger me, the images of the Pokémon and the adventure make me want to play it and makes me think that they are truly turning into children themselves not wanting to share their toys.
I am woried that we may infact wake up to find other fansites have these letters and may well dissapear, very upsetting idea to the 12-year-old inside me.

Ok, how about we write angry articles about how Nintendo sucks because of this incident all over the internet?

That is not mature.

Try contacting people like the EFF about this. They would post about it and they do have lawyers as well.

We should compile a list of refuge fansites in case these bigger sites get shut down.

That is not mature.

Try contacting people like the EFF about this. They would post about it and they do have lawyers as well.

That's boring. We as a fan base should show Nintendo who really holds the power here.

We should compile a list of refuge fansites in case these bigger sites get shut down.

Already working on it. I have one, though I'm not sure how to share it with everyone. I don't want to PM it to people lest it cause Bulbagarden to get a C & D.

As the 5th gen sprites on bulbapedia keep going down and down at this very moment, it would appear that the staff have already quietly taken a submissive position, regardless of the supportive arguments brought forth in this chat and their validity?

As the 5th gen sprites on bulbapedia keep going down and down at this very moment, it would appear that the staff have already quietly taken a submissive position, regardless of the supportive arguments brought forth in this chat and their validity?

They are taking precautions so the risk of getting a letter is lower.

That's boring. We as a fan base should show Nintendo who really holds the power here.
It might be boring, but it's more mature then whining about it.

Companies are big. C&D notices like this usually come from some greenhorn paperpusher who just joined the company and wants to make a name for himself by busting "information pirates". It rarely goes anywhere, and it's often not the decision of higher ups or anyone outside of the company's legal team. And sometimes even just a small minority within that.

So basically they're going to get in hot water if word gets around about this :/
What I meant by average Joe is that we're not important members of the pokemon community. We're the faceless masses who buy Pokemon merchandise and that's it. Nintendo's never heard of us, our life stories, and they don't care. We don't run popular websites, we're not well known software pirates, we're just... ordinary people.
See, this is the type of thought big companies rely on when they bully the little guys. Sure, we're "faceless masses" in the same way that our red blood cells are "faceless masses" to us. Because we're not software pirates, because we buy their games and because we are the ones who add hype to it, we're its life blood.

I've been a lurker on this site for a long time now, I know that may sound bad but I've never really posted something here before. But looking at this news story and thinking that maybe something bad really will happen to the online community has kind of made me think that we should spread the word about this. I've already written an article on the whole thing but I was wondering whether I should post it to other fansites/gaming websites or not.

So basically they're going to get in hot water if word gets around about this :/

Pretty much.

I haven't seen any sites pick it up, but what's going on at pokebeach Pokerbeach might get picked up due to the fact they are making a big deal about it.

What I don't understand is why now? Why not prior to the game's japanese release? We were getting leaked information left and right, and now all of a sudden after the game's release we're no longer allowed to see the game/pokemon. Honestly, it makes zero sense. What exactly are they waiting for? The games have been released, its content has been distributed to countless people, some not even in Japan. I don't understand why they would want to prevent the fans who have followed the franchise for years for getting a look at the game and pokemon before we're able to purchase our own copies.

Seriously, its not like seeing the information is going to hinder their sales at all. It makes zero sense. And really, why just America? why not all of the other fansites based in different countries.

See, this is the type of thought big companies rely on when they bully the little guys. Sure, we're "faceless masses" in the same way that our red blood cells are "faceless masses" to us. Because we're not software pirates, because we buy their games and because we are the ones who add hype to it, we're its life blood.
I'm not saying we're powerless to stick a needle in their eye over bullying their fans, I'm just saying that we as average pokemon fans don't have to worry about being sued into indentured servitude, which some people seem to think is possibility.

I've been a lurker on this site for a long time now, I know that may sound bad but I've never really posted something here before. But looking at this news story and thinking that maybe something bad really will happen to the online community has kind of made me think that we should spread the word about this. I've already written an article on the whole thing but I was wondering whether I should post it to other fansites/gaming websites or not.

Post it everywhere you can. Spread the word. FIGHT THE POWER.

So are we still allowed to have the pictures for out avatars and stuff? I've seen people using the sprites so I was wondering where the line's drawn.

They are taking precautions so the risk of getting a letter is lower.
This will not resolve nintendo's apparently new position towards fansites and only embolden them to carry it out in the future. If nintendo is not engaged in conversation not only will this be counterproductive for the fans, but will also leave a big shadow about if and when it will be "okay" with them to post the sprites again. If ever.

Hmm. Wasn't there another campaign to try and take action when PUSA did something the fans didn't like? Save Our... Save Our... oh, what was it, it's on the tip of my tongue!

It started a lot like this, though. A bunch of upset fans, a few proposing radical ideas, others trying to work out a way to communicate their message to PUSA without acting like a bunch of brats.

Ultimately, in its original aims, the campaign was a spectacular flop. There were some minor victories very far down the line. But the main drive of the campaign was killed off after other fans turned on the campaigners.

The kicker? WPM was the most vocal against that campaign, harassing us for not shutting up and dealing with it. As I recall, he was even banned from the forums for his behavior.

So...

While I'll admit this sucks for Serebii, and I'll give him major props for dealing with it rather than throw a fit... for WPM, it just feels like karma in action.

On a different note, this feels more like the aftershocks of some sort of contract breach than an active campaign against fansites. The only thing that doesn't fit is... why hasn't PokExperto received a cease and desist, too?

I haven't seen any sites pick it up, but what's going on at pokebeach Pokerbeach might get picked up due to the fact they are making a big deal about it.

You know, their site title hasn't changed yet, it's only the banner image. Looks like WPM missed a spot.

I don't quite know where you pulled that one. If an image is not in Bulbapedia, it doesn't mean it was taken down, it means it wasn't ever uploaded. It's as simple as that. I can mostly see only redirects in the deletion log.

Rather than just joining because "you just heard" and writing up your own articles which may contain a lot of wrong information on the situation, just link them to Bulbanew's article as its pretty comprehensive and even gives a screenshot to one of the best arguments as to why this is wrong in the first place.

Now, if this is real and considering that the higher-ups even mentioned they don't want to criminalize fans for being passionate, it will go away and hopefully not happen again, as the person who decided to pursue this action will probably get in hot water due to the resulting bad press (I mean, you'd think they'd go after Melkor if it was due to leaks).

If this is fake, well, now they're getting in hot water for fraud.
While I'll admit this sucks for Serebii, and I'll give him major props for dealing with it rather than throw a fit... for WPM, it just feels like karma in action.

On a different note, this feels more like the aftershocks of some sort of contract breach than an active campaign against fansites. The only thing that doesn't fit is... why hasn't PokExperto received a cease and desist, too?
The difference here is that you can't argue that it was "unjust" with SOVA, and the timing between when Archaic said that they discovered Melkor cheated on the BW contest and banned him and the appearance of these letters is just amazing/

I don't quite know where you pulled that one. If an image is not in Bulbapedia, it doesn't mean it was taken down, it means it wasn't ever uploaded. It's as simple as that. I can mostly see only redirects in the deletion log.
Pardon me if I'm mistaking, but as I periodically refreshed this page http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_Isshu_Pokédex_number I could see the sprites being eroded away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom