• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

Rayquaza: ray-QUAH-zah
Milotic: my-LAW-tic
Arceus: AR-see-iss (pretty common one)
Giratina: GAIR-ah-tee-nah (only on occasion)
Regigigas: reh-jee-GYE-gis
Regice: REH-jee-ice
Roserade: ROW-zer-aid
Shellos: SHEL-lows
Togetic: toh-GEH-tic

I used to say these before finding the official pronounciations
Phione: fee-OWN
Gardevoir: GAR-duh-vore (I completely ignored the i for some reason lol)
Grotle: GRO-tull

When I first saw Suicune, my brain interpreted it Soo-ee-soo-nay for some reason. This later turned into swy-soon, which still doesn't adhere to any rules of English, but there we go.

Ariados - ah-ree-ay-doss
Raikou - rye-koo
Lugia - loo-jii-uh
Chimecho - chyme-cho
Shellos - shell-oss
Giratina - dʒə-ruh-tee-nuh

I don't know what the official pronunciations are for these except Lugia.

I pronounce Arceus Ar-see-us and Gligar gil-gar.

Most of the names I pronounce wrong are from how I hear it pronounced by other people I know.

i have more.

Suu I Cune

En - Tey

Aree Cus

Dusk no r

Guy - Rah - Tina

Arceus- ARSY-uss
Suicune- swi-coon (no particular stress- i used to know a guy who pronounced it soo-shine- how can it be that?)
I went through a phase of calling Vulpix Vulprix and Linoone Linndoone...
And what is up with PBR calling Illumise (illu-miss) Illumeezey?

re-SHI-ram instead of re-shi-RAM. I think the first one's correct, but I dunno.

Rayquaza: ray-kwah-za
Well, I'm not sure if this counts but I pronounce gracidea as gru-sid-ea
Giratina: Ji-ra-ti-na

I pronounce Gliscor as "Glis-kor", as opposed to the "Gly-skor".

Arceus - \ˈɑɹsiəs\ (\ˈɑɹkiəs\ is official)
Giratina - \ˌjiɹəˈtinə\ (\ˌgiɹəˈtinə\ is official)

Lugia - \ˈluˈgiə\ (\ˈlugiˌə\ is official)

If possible, use the IPA when listing your pronunciations (For example, Arceus = \ˈɑɹsiəs\ is the way I do it). Otherwise, if you cba or think I'm just being pedantic, just give an approximate key (for example, Arceus = are-see-us is the way I do it.) Or, just say you mispronounce the word and be done with it.

So, the approximate keys (all caps = stressed):

Arceus - ARE-see-us (ARK-key-us is official)
Giartina - _jeer-a-TI-na (_gear-a-TI-na is official)
Lugia - LU-GI-a (LU-gi-a is official)

Uhm... all of these. >_>

Scizor I pronounce the same way I pronounce "scissor". >__> And Gligar I pronounce as it's spelled... not GLIger. It's gargoyle and glide, dammit! DX

The others? Heck, I pronounce the others the way I should. =V Unlesss "Swee-coon" isn't the way you pronounce Suicune...

Not only I've messed up the pokemon's names..
I've messed up the region's names.. >_<
Kanto: Kan-To (can-to)
Johto: Jah-To (Jo-To)
Hoenn: Ho-N (Ho-en)
Sinnoh: Sin-ah (Sin-oh)

I also messed up "Elite Four"..Pronounced it as Ee-lite 4.. not a-leet 4

BTW I'm an Asian

Arceus: Ar-seus
Suicune: Swui-cune
Kyogre: Ky-ogre
Giratina: Jiratina
Regice: Regi-Ice

I usually pronounce names based on their meaning, even in cases where the official one is different, such as TOT-o-dile (tot + crocodile) instead of the official TOE-to-dile for Totodile, or you-NO-vah instead of YOU-no-vah for Unova. The way many of these names are pronounced differently from how they should be suggests that there's a mis-communication between the people who come up with these names and the ones who pronounce them, which unfortunately continues even though the localization of both the games and the anime are handled by the same company (TPCi).

I also tend to pronounce names that are kept from Japan based on how they're written/pronounced in Japanese, like AR-say-us instead of ARK-ee-us for Arceus, or Rye-koh instead of Rye-koo for Raikou.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom