• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Mew: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be a little bit off topic. I'm just very curious.
So is there any other way you can obtain Mew in the green/red/blue without glitching or hacking? There was no wifi event before and I read Mew in the early games is only tradeable. But where can you get it?

You can only get Mew via the Mew Glitch (or hacking, obviously) in RBY. Bulbapedia only says trade because that is the default when there is no other legitimate way to get it in that game.

THE FOLLOWING COMMENT IS RATED PG-13
PARENTAL DISCRETION IS ADVISED

This may sound a little strange... (in fact I'm sure it will)

Has anyone ever noticed the peculiar shape of Mew's tail? Why is it so thin along the length of it, but then much thicker and rounder on the end? Considering the inspiration behind Mew's design (often depicted like a developing embryo, and contained inside an "egg-like" bubble), could Mew's tail be meant to resemble, *cough* *ahem* ...sperm?

*shot*

Has anyone ever noticed the peculiar shape of Mew's tail? Why is it so thin along the length of it, but then much thicker and rounder on the end? Considering the inspiration behind Mew's design (often depicted like a developing embryo, and contained inside an "egg-like" bubble), could Mew's tail be meant to resemble, *cough* *ahem* ...sperm?

*shot*

... That actually makes sense... O.O

I want credit for that theory, by the way. ;-)

*laughs menacingly*

Bahaha, too late! I've already posted it under my name to fansites all across the world... and when my plan is completed, I will spawn my own army of fans who believe in MY unweilding theories of sperm-tailed Mews and PokeShipping theories that Ash really did lose his virginity to May off-scree-

Uh...that was probably a little TOO much...:eh:

You have credit for your sperm tail theory.

*shot*

It all makes sense now!

An odd coincidence that Bikini Miltank should write this article JUST before they announce a Mew Wifi giveaway...

Bikini Miltank, are you psychic?

An odd coincidence that Bikini Miltank should write this article JUST before they announce a Mew Wifi giveaway...

Bikini Miltank, are you psychic?

YES! There is only on probable solution... Bikini Miltank IS the Psychic Pokemon Mew!

...That sperm-tailed beast...

*shot*

It makes sense.
It's animation in BW has the sperm tail um....
you know...

This could be a little bit off topic. I'm just very curious.
So is there any other way you can obtain Mew in the green/red/blue without glitching or hacking? There was no wifi event before and I read Mew in the early games is only tradeable. But where can you get it?
You could get it by going to a special Pokemon event where the Gameboy cart would be plugged into a special SNES where the Mew would be added to your party.(I think, this was 10 years ago or so)

I consider myself as a tolerant type on the whole... I'm happy for people to have their beliefs. Though I'm an atheist, I come from a Catholic family, and my fiancee's family are LDS, so I'm surrounded by religious people, all of whom are lovely. So my issue isn't with religion itself.

The problem starts when people try to intentionally mislead in order to reinforce their ideology. That's my issue with Answers in Genesis and its ilk. They're set up to knock down evolution because they feel that it threatens their faith. But rather than posing a proper argument against the well-established principles of evolution, they build themselves a cartoon version of it to demolish. They willfully misinterpret data, cherry-pick misleading statistics, present long-discredited ideas as if they're part of current evolutionary theory, and flat-out make stuff up in order to get their argument across. And because it's all being done under the banner of Christianity, people are inclined to trust them. I think this is appalling behaviour, using something that people trust as a platform to mislead.

Speaking as a scientist, there's little I find more infuriating than people adopting the language of science to trick and mislead people for their own agendas.
To be fair, these kind of tactics are usually employed during any kind of persuasive argument, not to mention the media. It's not just limited to science.

To be fair, these kind of tactics are usually employed during any kind of persuasive argument, not to mention the media. It's not just limited to science.

I for one still think their motivations for doing it (get people to distrust science's findings because it contadicts our religion) are a LITTLE off. :drowsy:

Good read. I now have a stronger bond with my soon-to-be Mew :D.

I'm agnostic I believe in god but I find the Bible to be a load of bull. However I believe god decided what evoled and what didn't. We're talking about an all powerful being here. MAybe he was in heaven thinking... 'Hm... that bird needs a bigger/smaller beak' and bam the birds start having a smaller/larger beak

I'm agnostic I believe in god but I find the Bible to be a load of bull. However I believe god decided what evoled and what didn't. We're talking about an all powerful being here. MAybe he was in heaven thinking... 'Hm... that bird needs a bigger/smaller beak' and bam the birds start having a smaller/larger beak

Uh, not to be offensive or anything but...What a useless belief... It's called NATURAL selection for a reason; it happens NATURALLY without guidence, due to individuals who hold more beneficial genes being more likely to survive and reproduce, thereby passing on those beneficial genes.
If, to use your example, these birds found themselves in an environment where a small beak is adventageous the larger beaked birds would have more trouble finding food, and therefore be less likely to survive and reproduce. The smaller beaked birds can find food easily and so the next generation of birds would, on average, have smaller beaks.

If the god your describe DOES exist, he did a very good job at hiding himself because he created lifeforms which explain away their existence without him. :-/

I guess if by "bam" you mean thousands of generations' worth of time. I feel bad saying it, but that line of thinking seems to me, personally, to support the same idea in the area of drug resistance in HIV, malaria, and tuberculosis. That God must be responsible for that evolution/natural selection/adaptation too.
I couldn't abide by that, Christian or atheist.

--"What Is" Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom