• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

Completely new types

Light
Magic
Time
Crystal/Glass
Sound
Heart
Wind
Space
Wood
Fossil
Ceramic(maybe?)
Magnet(maybe?)
Food/Culinary
Caustic/Acid
Virtual/Digital
Capital/Institution

Renamed/Repurposed types

Ghost to Darkness
Dark to Beast
Normal and ??? merged to create Typeless

Reincarnated types

Normal(the complete lack of superpowers and abnormal characteristics)
Ghost(spiritual/ghostly phenomena)

Last edited:
Artificial - pokemons made or developed by humans.
e.g. porygon, castform, mewtwo

Goin' for Light and posssibly wind
Just think of possibilities:
Light:*no goshdarn angels (would make cristianish and other types of people who aren't would be angry)
Wind:*there could be fans, (actual) windchimes, and gales
*DON'T YELL AT ME FOR SAYING WIND TYPES, THEY WOULD BE DIFFERENT FROM FLYING BECAUSE WIND IS THE ESSENCE OF AIR, AND FLYING TYPES USE THE AIR IN BENIFIT
Light:*sombody already post a advantage/resistance chart and the only additon would be that wind is x1
Wind advantage/disadvantage chart
X1:grass (wind can blow grass but can not rip it (on normal occasions)), dark, light (wind doesn't effect night and day), psychic (obvious reasons), normal, fighting, poison, flying, and ghost,
X2:ground, bug, ice (blows snow away if high enough), and fire (gets blown out by wind)
X.5: steel, rock, water, dragon, and electric, and wind

---------
Well.. that's all I got for now

Completely new types

Light
Magic
Time
Crystal/Glass
Sound
Heart
Wind
Space
Wood
Fossil
Ceramic(maybe?)
Magnet(maybe?)
Food/Culinary
Caustic/Acid
Virtual/Digital
Capital/Institution

Renamed/Repurposed types

Ghost to Darkness
Dark to Beast

Reincarnated types

Normal(the complete lack of superpower and abnormal characteristics)

Wow, so you'd like to have 33 types? Unless that chart is meant to replace the current chart.

Also, the "Wood" type (もくタイプ) wouldn't really work because it's covered by Grass. The Grass type represents all plant life.

Here's what I'd do for Light type:

Weaknesses:
Ground - 2x
Dark - 2x

Resistances:
Light - 0x
Poison - 1/2x
Ghost - 1/2x

Weak to Light:
Dark - 2x
Poison - 2x

Resistant to Light:
Light - 0x
Water - 1/2x

Light represents healing and order, while Dark represents destruction and chaos. To introduce this new type to the type chart, the following tweaks would be made:

Psychic -> Poison: 1x

Dark -> Dark: 0x (Dark and light can only be known by each other. I believe the Martin Luther King quote was: "Hate cannot fight hate. Only love can fight hate.")

Poison -> Dark: 2x

Last edited:
I also had an idea a while back, where instead of new types, types could combine. Water/Ground would be Mud, Fire/Water would be Steam, Grass/Fire could be something like Smoke. Stuff like that. It probably wouldn't work with everything, but it is an idea.

Sound-type (. .) Or perhaps a better name would be Sonic-type or something; but it'd include the likes of Chatot, the Exploud line, perhaps Altaria, maybe Misdreavus, the Chimecho line, Jigglypuff, etc.
Hypervoice, Chatter, Sing, etc would fall under it movewise.

Digital-type sounds nice as well.

The Cyber-type.

Weaknesses
Water 2x
Poison 2x

Resistances
Electric 0x

Super effective against
Steel 2x
Electric 2x

Wow, so you'd like to have 33 types? Unless that chart is meant to replace the current chart.

It's not meant to replace the current chart because I believe Gamefreak should keep on making new types until they've covered every single thing/concept in the universe that can differentiate itself from the others and they may bring something new to the table as well.

Triple battles and the retconning of some abilities are probably far worse than the introduction of new types when it comes to maintaining balance of the metagame, which Gamefreak never cared for at all.

Also, the "Wood" type (もくタイプ) wouldn't really work because it's covered by Grass. The Grass type represents all plant life.

Grass= fleshy and herbaceous plants such as flowers, berries, vegetables, herbs, etc.

Wood= wooden objects(e.g. bark, branches, mallets, etc.) and plants with hard or woody tissue(e.g. trees, bamboo, true nuts, coconuts, etc.).

Also, Wood would take neutral damage from Water, which sometimes dampens it, and the only types that resist Wood are itself, Fighting, Ghost, Rock, Ceramic, Crystal and Steel.

The above are what differentiate it from Grass.

Completely new types

Light
Magic
Time
Crystal/Glass
Sound
Heart
Wind
Space
Wood
Fossil
Ceramic(maybe?)
Magnet(maybe?)
Food/Culinary
Caustic/Acid
Virtual/Digital
Capital/Institution

Renamed/Repurposed types

Ghost to Darkness
Dark to Beast

Reincarnated types

Normal(the complete lack of superpowers and abnormal characteristics)

Light (COvered by Psychic,Fire,Electric,Fight ect...

Magic (Uh... Psychic?)

Time (...?)

Crsytal/Glass (Steel,Ground,Rock)

Sound (Only good one)

Heart (Bleh Captian Planet can keep this)

Wind (Flying duh)

Space (Eh sounds resoable)

Wood (Really..? Grass type already has this)

Fossil (Rock.)

Food (Hell no)

Acid (Poison dude Poison)

Digital (Hello Digimon)

Capital (Were are you coming up with this stuff?)

And definitly no to the changing types

Light (COvered by Psychic,Fire,Electric,Fight ect...

Light encompasses both radiance(e.g. sunlight and rainbows) and the holy element, so no, neither of the types you've mentioned are too similar to Light, and in some RPGs, Light is treated as its own element different from Fire and Electric.

Magic (Uh... Psychic?)

Not really. Psychic is more mental, Magic is more mana.

Time (...?)

Represents the manipulation of time.

Crsytal/Glass (Steel,Ground,Rock)

How is it the same as the 3 you've mentioned there?

Sound (Only good one)

Heart (Bleh Captian Planet can keep this)

This type isn't the same as Ma-Ti's power, which is more mind control, and it also encompasses romantic activity. For instance, moves like Attract and Covet would become this type.

Wind (Flying duh)

Wind is the manipulation of air. Flying, on the other hand, has more to do with wings and avian characteristics.

Space (Eh sounds resoable)

Wood (Really..? Grass type already has this)

Did you read my previous post here? If so, then you'd understand what I really meant.

Fossil (Rock.)

Rock encompasses creatures with boulder-like skin, Fossil-types are prehistoric animals or have a more "prehistoric" appearance and have bony body parts on the outside as well. Pokemon like Cubone, Omastar, Lileep, Carvanha, Sharpedo and moves like Bonemerang and Spike Cannon would fall under the Fossil-type.

Food (Hell no)

Why not?

Acid (Poison dude Poison)

Acid deals with chemicals that devour/"burn" whatever they touch, so not necessarily the same as Poison, which encompasses venom and medical illness.

Digital (Hello Digimon)

Pokemon mainly deals with trying to catch monsters in devices known as pokeballs and the human protaganists in the anime have been zapped to the virtual world one time, so no, a Virtual-type wouldn't make it a "rip-off" of Digimon.

Capital (Were are you coming up with this stuff?)

The concepts were so different enough they've the potential to become their own types in Pokemon.

And definitly no to the changing types

The names aren't really accurate as to what those types actually represent/encompass, so what's wrong with renaming/rebranding them? I mean, I'm flabbergasted that they made Evil Eye Ghost-type instead of Aku/Dark even though it has the word "evil" in its name, yet both Bite and Sucker Punch, which are physical and mundane in their nature, are the latter.

My comments in bold.

Last edited:
It's not meant to replace the current chart because I believe Gamefreak should keep on making new types until they've covered every single thing/concept in the universe that can differentiate itself from the others and they may bring something new to the table as well.

NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Adding new types creates more baggage in the type chart, and it gets exponentially harder to maintain game balance as you keep introducing new types.

Aura type would be cool I think.

Maybe it could be exclusive to certain pokemon, like Lucario and Togekiss, and certain legendaries maybe?

Offensive:
.5x Dragon
.5x Steel
.5x Rock
2x Psychic
2x Fighting
2x Dark

Defensive:
Resists- Dark, Fight, Psychic
Weak to- Dragon, Steel, Rock, Ghost

Wind type.

Weak vs Fire (convection currents), Electric, Poison and itself

Strong vs Ground <wind scattered dirt?>, Grass (trees uprooted), Flying, Ghost,

Resists: Water, Flying, Steel,

Immune to Normal, Steel (how the hell do you punch air or attack it with metal?)

Normal to everything else.

If I could... I would choose not to. In my opinion, the type chart is very balanced as-is.

The constant suggestion of a Light-type annoys me, by the way. Just because we have a "Dark" type doesn't necessitate the existence of a "light" type.

bird type
XD
cookie goes to who can guess the referance

and screw the light type

We need either Artichoke types of Llama types. In one hand, you have absolute randomness, and on the other hand, you have the power of the mighty deviantArt!! And yes, my logic is perfectly sound!

In all seriousness, how about either a Light-type or, get this, a Dance-type! Now THIS is serious business! Think about it, they'd have high Speed and Attack stats and low Defense stats, but have moderate/high Special Attack and Special Defense stats! That would kick butt!!

If I had the chance to, I'd pass it up. The types we have now are fine.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom