• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Quilava's really good at ember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlr18

Reaction score
So I'm playing soulsilver and chose cyndiquil as my starter. He is now a quilava and knows both flame wheel and ember. Flame wheel has power of 60 and ember has 40. Neither have anything special about them affecting their power (or so says wiki) but ember does way more damage than flame wheel whenever I use it. Anyone care to explain this to me?

Your Pokemon either has higher Special Attack than Attack or your opponent has really bad Special Defense.

that happened to me too, i think it is because you have used ember more. my typlosion knew rock climb, and it knew rock smash, it knew rock smash longer, and it always did more than rock climb

What Pokémon was your Quilava battling?

Like Insomniac said, your Quiallava has high Special Attack (Ember is a Special Attack, I believe), or whoever you were battling doesn't have the greatest

Last edited:
that happened to me too, i think it is because you have used ember more. my typlosion knew rock climb, and it knew rock smash, it knew rock smash longer, and it always did more than rock climb

That's not at all how it works...not even close.

no they're both special moves, though quilava does have higher sp attack than regular attack... maybe flame wheel does something weird where it uses both? i mean it says its a fire type but...

Also I've done one, then the other on the same opponent, it's a very noticeable difference.

Two questions: What nature is your quilava, and what pokemon are you facing?

no they're both special moves, though quilava does have higher sp attack than regular attack... maybe flame wheel does something weird where it uses both? i mean it says its a fire type but...

Flame Wheel is a Fire-Type Physical Attack move that does 60 Power. Ember is a Fire-Type Special Attack move that does 40 Power. Like insomniac said, it is most likely because of the fact that your Quilava has a higher SP.ATK than ATK or that the opponent you were facing has bad SP.DEF. This is logical because the Cyndaquil line is known for it's SP.ATK rather than ATK.

Also, you can't make a move stronger just because you use it more; if that was true I'd still be using Tackle on most of my Pokemon.

Modest, and it happens with all other pokemon. Ember does more damage than Flame wheel, though both do more or less depending on the other pokemon's type.

No, Flame Wheel is a Physical move so its power is affected by its Attack stat.

Ah. My mistake, I thought it was special I guess just because it's a fire type move. Thanks, guys; mystery solved =D

Modest is a nature that raises your Pokemon's Special Attack and lowers its Attack. Quilava's Special Attack is normally higher than its Attack to begin with, so that explains it.

Ah. My mistake, I thought it was special I guess just because it's a fire type move. Thanks, guys; mystery solved =D

Yep, you're welcome :). We all make mistakes, though. Maybe the transition from GenIII to GenIV/V hasn't quite set in yet? The ATK/SP.ATK split happened on the release of D/P, so it may still be confusing. Happy Training, jlr18.

might be bacause the pokemon has a lower sk.def then def stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom