• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takeshi Shudo's Blogs

To be honest I can't see TR remaining serious like this forever. Now that they're not comic relief anymore, its hard to imagine what they'll do with them. I also don't see them ever reverting them back to the way they were in DP.

I have a feeling Giovanni is going to meet his end, and if the organization goes, J/J/M won't really have a reason to tag along.

Guys. If the rockets are written out at the end of BW, it is not because of Shudo. Their fate has been decided long before DP ended.

In any event, let's take this discussion to another thread. This one is just for discussing the blogs themselves.

I'd like to bring up the only non-TR part of Shudo's blogs again, particularly this excerpt:

He also said that out of all characters in the show , Kasumi's existence was the least justified. She was there to draw attention of girls, because anime with boys only would be "tasteless" for them.

And why she left the show. After the show got longer, there was a decline in ratings so they thought of changing something about the main characters and the villains.

Because justification of Kasumi's existence was the weakest, she was the most endangered to leave. He says that it wasn't like he wanted to substitute her, but they needed someone with fascinating personality, whose existence was neccessary.

Also he stated that Kasumi didn't have enough charm for a girl (sexist much?).

You know this brings up an interesting point of what kinds of female characters are popular with the Japanese audience. It seems like Shudo and the other writers felt like Misty wasn't a dynamic enough female character.

I always figured that the Japanese view female characters different than the rest of the world, and that could explain why he felt Misty was only there as a token character and that she was the least justified of the classic Kanto characters.

I wish we had some blog around the start of AG to find out what the thinking process was of introducing a more important female character, although I suppose we can all guess what they'd say anyway.

Misty had the potential. They just, should've used her in a deeper way. She *was* around for 5 seasons though. As of now, she's still spent more time with Ash than either May or Dawn.

Misty had the potential. They just, should've used her in a deeper way. She *was* around for 5 seasons though. As of now, she's still spent more time with Ash than either May or Dawn.

What does length of time have to do with anything? Brock was on the show for 13 years, more than anyone else, yet he didn't get as much actual screentime as any of the female characters, at least IMO.

I guess since Misty has been on the show for about 6 years they thought they needed to change at least one cast member, and they felt they shouldn't replace Ash as he's the main character, or Brock as he is the close friend/mentor/advisor to the main character. I guess with the advent of contests and a new female character they could use to bring in different audiences they thought the tomboy-ish female character could be replaced in place of another female.

I guess since Misty has been on the show for about 6 years

Misty was only around for 5 years, which is why she was also only in 5 movies.

People don't actually realize how short Misty's run as a main character really was unless you stop to think about it. She wasn't even in half the series. More like less than half.

Misty was only around for 5 years, which is why she was also only in 5 movies.

People don't actually realize how short Misty's run as a main character really was unless you stop to think about it. She wasn't even in half the series. More like less than half.

My mistake. I wasn't sure exactly.
Well, I guess people think she was around for longer as she went through kanto, orange islands and johto, but if you look at it that way it wasn't that much longer. (Though wasn't it about 275 episodes? Surely that was over one year surpassing the other girls?) Anyway, I guess they felt they needed to keep Brock for whatever reason but to advertise the new games bring in May. I don't blame them.

My mistake. I wasn't sure exactly.
Well, I guess people think she was around for longer as she went through kanto, orange islands and johto, but if you look at it that way it wasn't that much longer.

My guess is because people see Misty was in three sagas, whereas characters like Dawn were only in 1.

But people fail to realize Kanto was only 83 episodes, and Orange Islands was only 36 episodes. The first two seasons were extremely short, it was really only Johto that went on for a long length.

Characters like Dawn were only in 1 saga, but she lasted for nearly 200 episodes.

I guess since Misty has been on the show for about 6 years they thought they needed to change at least one cast member, and they felt they shouldn't replace Ash as he's the main character, or Brock as he is the close friend/mentor/advisor to the main character.

I think they kept Brock because they just brought him back for Johto (okay, they didn't just bring him back for Johto, even in 2002, the last year of Johto for Japan) and didn't want to do that just to get rid of him.

There was really no reason for Brock to leave again at the time either. Max had no Pokemon and there wasn't any other viable male sidekick they could have used.

You know this brings up an interesting point of what kinds of female characters are popular with the Japanese audience. It seems like Shudo and the other writers felt like Misty wasn't a dynamic enough female character.

They were obviously wrong because Misty gained huge fanbase scoring big popularity.Infact she is one of most popular characters in this show,below Ash of course.

I always figured that the Japanese view female characters different than the rest of the world, and that could explain why he felt Misty was only there as a token character and that she was the least justified of the classic Kanto characters.

Misty still contributed to this show,having role of being Ash coach and mentor giving help in many situatons along with doing something with her own dreams so its ungrateful to describe her as "token character only".People say Brock had more of justification to stay,but thats hard to accept considering how out of classic kanto trio Brock received the least scereentime out of three not getting much attention.

Also we all know from mr.Shudo blogs how he had oportunity to increase Mistys role at that time doing more with her plots(potential was there),but didnt which was basically confirmed when he regretted his mistake.

What interests me more is what would happen if writers really did choosed to replace Team Rocket instead of Misty.What would be with contests or May?Would Misty do them,or would there be two females in group?I guess at this point we will never know.

Last edited:
From what I gather Takeshi Shudo wasn't really in charge of the Johto arc, even if he wrote some stand-alone episodes here and there.

This is why Johto was not handled as well as Kanto/Orange were.

I think in Johto the writers were just making random eps to keep the show going and didn't really know what they wanted to do with the show.

From what I gather Takeshi Shudo wasn't really in charge of the Johto arc, even if he wrote some stand-alone episodes here and there.

I think in Johto the writers were just making random eps to keep the show going and didn't really know what they wanted to do with the show.

I'd say that it occured sometime after they decided to make the 4th movie about Celebi instead of having it have a role in the Johto saga in the TV series. Don't know when exactly that was, or how many episodes Celebi's storyline would take place, but that's probably it. Well, one reason, anyway.

Entry 1 was a good read.

I think I now have a newfound respect for the Team Rock trio. A while back, I started growing tired of the TRio's antics and persistency, always annoyed when they would break in and disrupt anything at its climax; usually Ash during his final match in a Pokemon gym, wherever it may be. But now I can see what Takeshi did that made this particular anime stick out from all the rest. Team Rocket is what makes up the anime, without them, it would probably be a half an hour commercial about the video games.

Right now, I am anxious to see more of the TRio and their adventures in Isshu and also wonder what the anime and it's audience would have been like if we had been given more extraordinary characters. And, of course, getting to Entry 2.

Again, Thank You, Takeshi Shudo :)

Wow. The second entry literally changed how I see Misty and her departure from the show. Not drastically, mind you, but I did definitely rethink some things. All the posts were very insightful.

Wasn't he the main writer or whatever that's called for the whole original series?...

You mean Johto fixed lots of these horrible mistakes of Kanto/Orange

To be fair, I don't personally think Johto would have been regarded as badly if 4Kids and Kids WB hadn't had their insistence on the seasonal divisions - Johto had a lot of fillers, sure, but the thing that really killed it was the fact that all summer, all we got to see was rerun after rerun of the same fillers. If Johto had had the same treatment Sinnoh got, and aired a new episode every week, I think we all would hate it a lot less.

Wow. The second entry literally changed how I see Misty and her departure from the show. Not drastically, mind you, but I did definitely rethink some things. All the posts were very insightful.

In what way? Everything about Misty he said was always pretty much discussed and assumed in the fandom for years.

Anyone could tell how the writers felt about Misty after watching the Johto arc, and seeing her treatment in that particular saga.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom