• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces info fo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

I'm sticking with the japanese names. Here's why:

Mijumaru-Miju is too perfect a nickname for it.
Pokabu-Tooooo cute a name. Emboar is probably gonna stay the same anyway.
Tsutaja-It rolls off the tongue.

Aside from that I've gotten way too used to it.

Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

Serpentry, Prinsnake, Monarconda,
Arswine ,Hoglaze, Emboar
Shotter, Otterain, Saberoar

Whatever the names are, I'm just glad we're getting them this early :D

Cool! We're gonna get the English names, uh-huh! But, seriously, what's with the silhouettes? It's not as if we don't know what the starters are yet.. So, pokemon.com doesn't need to post silhouettes of the starters just because they're gonna release the English names.

Also, I wonder if this means we'll get the English versions of the games early. Earlier compared to previous gens. Usually English namesd are revealed much later compared to Isshu.

Non Japanese fans who don't check things regularly and don't know about b/w yet don't know about them. That's why. It's for people who don't know yet.

^ Yeah, considering we don't live in Japan, every bit of info we've gotten on Black and White is really a bonus.

And we're getting the games sometime in Spring. Dunno when or if you consider that early, MuddyMudkip, but that's what they said in the past.

EDIT: I dunno the exact day, when the English names for the 3rd gen starters were revealed on Pokemon.com, but Serebii.net revealed on November 13, 2002, and R/S were released in March 2003.

Last edited:

Well I'd love it if the fan nicknames became Ascended Memes, although something tells me that it's not going to happen. =/

If Tsutarja isn't going to be called Smugleaf in the English version, I'll just nickname my Tsutarja Smugleaf. I just love that fan nickname. In fact, I love all the starter's fan nicknames. Haters Gonna Hate.

They're not going to use the fan nicknames like "Smugleaf." Trademarking fan creations is just asking for legal trouble.

Just putting that out there.

I just hope the don't f them up.
I've gotten used to the Japanese names already. I'll probably still call them by their original names anyways...o_O

well, no matter what they call Tsutara..w/e its name is, i'm still calling mine Salsa Verde, cuz he's a spicy bugger like that ;P

They're not going to use the fan nicknames like "Smugleaf." Trademarking fan creations is just asking for legal trouble.

Just putting that out there.

The term Eeveelution says hi.

Last edited:

Final predictions (only came up with the last one myself):

Snivy (snake/ivy/can be taken as snide)
Piglit (pig/lit :p)
Ollop (otter/dollop/scallop)

Tsutarja - Eversnake: Evergreen and snake.
Pokabu - Porkeque: Pork and barbeque.
Mijumaru - Shellter: Shell and water.

These are the same names I used on PokéBeach.

It seems this is it. I posted my comment in another thread, so I'll repeat:

Tsutaja: Slyleaf
Pokabu: Swinder (Swine + Cinder)
Mijumaru: Seotter (Sea Otter)

Thanks for reading.

Mijumaru: Seotter (Sea Otter)

I could see this being the name, only fits too well!

Can't wait till Monday :D:D

Emboar
Pignite
Pignition
Porkabu
Porky
Boarbeque

Gotta be one of these!

I'm going with Porkabu, Pignition, and Emboar for the Fire family. These are all brilliant, though Ember isn't the strongest of flames for the final evolution, but that's okay.

I'm also gonna go with Wotter and Smugleaf, because thats what I've been calling them. The Japanese names are too hard to pronounce.

How does Tsutaja roll off the tongue? It took me a while to pronounce it correctly at first, I'm probably still pronouncing it wrong.

Wotter, Smugleaf, Porkabu please

Pokabu, maybe, but aside from that, no. I just don't see Mijumaru or Tsutarja keeping their Japanese names in English.

Changing my prediction for Pokabu's name from Boarbeque to Porkoal. I know it sounds way too similar to Torkoal, but you never know what the people at Nintendo are thinking.

With a mustache.

I predict the following:
Tsutarja - Slyne (sly + vine)
Pokabu- Burker (burn + porker)
Mijumaru- Shotter (shell + otter)
not likely but makes sense.

This is quite exciting. I think they're going to be nothing like any of our predictions. Well, I hope so at least. Pokabu's in particular. Though this is the first time I've gotten so used to the japanese names that it'll feel odd to start referring to them by their english ones.

The term Eeveelution says hi.

Is Eeveelution trademarked?

Well, it's an official name now. It's been used in the games.

This reminds me...there's a cycle that's about to begin!

Beginning of a New Generation
* Japanese names are revealed. People use the raw translation. Or Pokemon are simply called "that _______ Pokemon".
* Names begin to be romanticized. Multiples romanizations exist. Most people either use the one they like the best, or stick with the raw translation.
* Official romanizations appear. By now, the Japanese names are ingrained in most fan's minds, and they think that the names are "perfect" and this will be the Generation where NOA will keep all the names intact!
* A Legendary/Lucario has their English name revealed. It is exactly the same, only with the name properly romanticized instead of a raw translation. People freak out and declare the name ruined.
* Pokemon begin to appear with completely different names from their Japanese counterparts. Disbelief occurs when people discover that the perfectly acceptable name of "Ishizumai" has been replaced with a pun.
* A change in NOA, which may have no part in the names, is blamed. "The names were better when Nob was in charge!"
* "There's no way I'm using that name...I'm going to nickname it its Japanese name when it comes out...hah, Gamefreak won't stop me from still naming it Futachimaru!"
* Melkor/Serebii leaks all the English names. Total meltdown. The series is ruined...domestically!
* Games come out. People buy the English version regardless. Forget about the whole naming issue for the most part.
* Names begin to become accepted across the fandom. Most fans forget the Japanese names entirely.
* Someone uses a Japanese name still. "NOT EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE JAPANESE NAMES YOU ELITIST!"
End of a Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom