• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More Black and White English names revealed: Names of characters, Pokémon, more revea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: More Black and White English names revealed: Names of characters, Pokémon, more r

also, i don't see what's wrong about the english names, really, most people say they are shitty, but lets compare them to the first gen ones...

I just realized how awkward it would be going from "Purin" to "Jigglypuff"... O__O

Re: More Black and White English names revealed: Names of characters, Pokémon, more r

Patrat: it's probably supposed to be pronounced /pətɹæt/, but I'm calling it /pætræt/ for now, because it feels more natural to me.

I'm guessing Musharna is pronounced /muʃɑɹnə/?

Woobat: /wubæt/

Drilbur: /dɹɪɫbʌɹ/

Cofagrigus: /kɒfəɡridʒəs/

Gothitelle: /gɒθɪtɛl/, I guess?

Reuniclus: I have no idea. I'm calling it /rijuniklʌs/, but I prefer my (probably incorrect) Japanese pronunciation, /ræŋkjələs/.

Axew: My guess? /æksju/ or /æksu/.

Braviary: /breɪviɛri/

I may have gotten a few of these wrong, but we'll only really know for sure once the dubs come out. (And even then, they don't always stick to one pronunciation.) But even so, it would be nice if a pronunciation guide was put on the site once the name was spoken in the show. As someone who hasn't watched since childhood, I still have no idea how to say Grotle correctly. Is it /ɡɹɒtəl/ or /ɡɹoʊtəl/?

If my IPA reading ability hasn't failed me, I've been pronouncing Axew the second way.

Hmm...I always thought it was "Grott-tle", as in, like, a grotto. I think PBR went with that, but they changed it to "Grow-tle" in the show. :/

A few of these names might end up being pronounced different though due to how non-standard English pronunciation can be (I wonder if NOA considers there to be a set pronunciation or, if like real animals, they expect different regions to have their own pronunciations?), as sometimes the base of the name doesn't meld exactly with pronunciation...

Early example is Blastoise. The "toise" at the end is pronounced completely different from how it's pronounced in "tortoise", the obvious inspiration, but it was one of the first Pokemon, so it kind of just ended up being accepted.

Also, I swear I remember a pronunciation guide (complete with it voiced) on a site in the past, but I can't remember if it was official or not. Might've been PE2k.

Re: More Black and White English names revealed: More English names revealed

Fennel sounds like "Fen" and "Kennel" put together.

It also sounds like "Funnel".

Fennel is a type of plant.

I just realized how awkward it would be going from "Purin" to "Jigglypuff"... O__O

IMHO some 1st gen names were pretty lousy. Mr.Mime is one that stands out in particular.

I've been pronouncing Axew as eschew, considering that sort of matches how the x in its evolution, Fraxure, is pronounced.

Hmm...I always thought it was "Grott-tle", as in, like, a grotto. I think PBR went with that, but they changed it to "Grow-tle" in the show. :/

A few of these names might end up being pronounced different though due to how non-standard English pronunciation can be (I wonder if NOA considers there to be a set pronunciation or, if like real animals, they expect different regions to have their own pronunciations?), as sometimes the base of the name doesn't meld exactly with pronunciation...

Early example is Blastoise. The "toise" at the end is pronounced completely different from how it's pronounced in "tortoise", the obvious inspiration, but it was one of the first Pokemon, so it kind of just ended up being accepted.

Also, I swear I remember a pronunciation guide (complete with it voiced) on a site in the past, but I can't remember if it was official or not. Might've been PE2k.

What? I don't remember it like that

I think you may have that reversed.....

IMHO some 1st gen names were pretty lousy. Mr.Mime is one that stands out in particular.

Don't forget Seel. Ugh. I've never liked Seel or it's unoriginal moniker. It's just so bland.

But you gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose. This is why I don't understand people getting all whiny about new names and whatnot. Does Baniricci's design disappoint me? Yes. What's my solution to that? I guess I'll just catch one to fill my Pokedex and then let it rot in my PC. That certaily seems more reasonable than ranting about how Nintendo should know better than to design Pokemon I don't like. It just seems silly.

Oh gosh. Imagine if we had to deal with that transition- from Barrierd to Mr. Mime.

Ohhhhhh fudddddge...

I like to pronounce Axew as acks-ew.
Woobat - Wooh - bat

Braviary - bray-vee-airy.

Rex Kamex: When I said Wapanese, I meant Japanese. XD

Belle... renamed?! To Bianca? Crud, I was hoping that be the english name for BW Girl/Touko... :(

I didn't bother to look in the english Pokemon names because I'd like to keep it a surprise when this game is released. ;)

Oh. I didnt know that. :p
Well that works out well then.

Bulgaria is slavic...

The only placed that changed his name was Italy, which made it the Hungarian word for 'Black'

I kinda wish that Bell kept her Japanese name. Now that it's Bianca, she's gonna pop up in my mind every time I battle her.

Axew....really really meh on this. Sounds awkward and not cute like Kibago does. Sad Kibago would have to get a dub voice now. Imagine it going "Axe Axe" in Piplup's high-pitched voice...*shudder*

Oh, and the ridiculousness of the puns that could go with Axew is too much, it's not even funny. Axew's me! (excuse me), I axew! (I ask you or rather I axe you!?!)

I like how Woobat sounds a whole lot like Zubat. Nintendo said they wanted both veteran and new pokemon players to get a different experience, but that just seems like the opposite.

Cofagrigus: /kɒfəɡridʒəs/

Why are people pronouncing the second G in "Cofagrigus" like a J? It's followed by a U, not an I, E, or Y, so it should be pronounced like a hard, normal /g/.

From Wikipedia:
Generally, ‹g› is soft before ‹e›, ‹i›, and ‹y› in words of Romance origin, and hard otherwise; there are many English words of non-Romance origin where ‹g› is hard regardless of position (e.g. ''get''), and three (''gaol,'' ''margarine,'' ''algae'') in which it is soft even before an ‹a›.

Not to mention that "Cofagrigus" is partially based on "sarcophagus," and the connection with "egregious" seems to be rooted solely in the mispronunciation.

Why are people pronouncing the second G in "Cofagrigus" like a J? It's followed by a U, not an I, E, or Y, so it should be pronounced like a hard, normal /g/.

You seem to have a fine mastery of the English language, so you should probably know that English has more exceptions than it has rules. In its current form, the pronunciations/spellings are pretty much "good luck!"

Also, this is a Pokemon name. There is a character limit, which I'll get to in a short bit.

Not to mention that "Cofagrigus" is partially based on "sarcophagus," and the connection with "egregious" seems to be rooted solely in the mispronunciation.

Quite the contrary: I noticed the connection to egrigious and THEN figured it was likely pronounced similarly. The word makes sense within the context, and the sound certainly seems to fit the letter pattern.

Many people look at it as being "sarcophagus," (shortened to "cofa") + "egrigious" (shortened to "grigus.") The fact is, Cofagrigus is 10 letters long. They had to fudge the spelling (as they often do) to make it fit. So why didn't they spell it Cofagrijus? I don't know. You could be right about them wanting to finish off the "sarcophagus," if only visually.

Ultimately, that was my guess, and I personally find it more plausible than the alternatives. Either way, we'll find out the true pronunciation when the dub comes out.

Or not. They flip-flopped on the pronunciation of Arceus and Suicune in the past. Who knows if it won't happen again?

Last edited:

You seem to have a fine mastery of the English language, so you should probably know that English has more exceptions than it has rules. In its current form, the pronunciations/spellings are pretty much "good luck!"

Also, this is a Pokemon name. There is a character limit, which I'll get to in a short bit.

Quite the contrary: I noticed the connection to egrigious and THEN figured it was likely pronounced similarly. The word makes sense within the context, and the sound certainly seems to fit the letter pattern.

Many people look at it as being "sarcophagus," (shortened to "cofa") + "egrigious" (shortened to "grigus.") The fact is, Cofagrigus is 10 letters long. They had to fudge the spelling (as they often do) to make it fit. So why didn't they spell it Cofagrijus? I don't know. You could be right about them wanting to finish off the "sarcophagus," if only visually.

Ultimately, that was my guess, and I personally find it more plausible than the alternatives. Either way, we'll find out the true pronunciation when the dub comes out.

Or not. They flip-flopped on the pronunciation of Arceus and Suicune in the past. Who knows if it won't happen again?

I think that this may be kind of random, but shouldnt team rocket be in like all of the games?

I'm fine with Bianca. Its gonna take some time to get used to, though. Fennel is cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom