• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Re: AdvanceShipping Nation

And so it seems the buzz Advanceshipping has had for months has come to an unexpected end, and the Pokeshipping train is picking up steam once again.

Time to wait and see if the flame sparks up again here, lol.

Fun fact that I think you all will like: The Mandarin language has the word "May" in it, pronounced as it in the show. In their language, May translates to "beautiful" and "younger sister."

Quick, someone make a fanfic or a drabble about that.

Fun fact that I think you all will like: The Mandarin language has the word "May" in it, pronounced as it in the show. In their language, May translates to "beautiful" and "younger sister."

Quick, someone make a fanfic or a drabble about that.

That's not completely irrelevant, but also not completely true. Firstly, the correct Romanisation is "mei." Secondly, Mandarin Chinese is a tonal language, so there are four distinct ways to pronounce words of the same Romanised appearance; only one of them applies here. Thirdly, May's name in the Chinese dub is "小遥" (Romanised as "Xiaoyao"); the meaning of this name is closer to that of the Japanese "Haruka" rather than the English. It translates to "distance" which is probably a reference to the distance between the regions of Hoenn and Kanto/Johto. As the Chinese dub has always come after the English dub, the similarities in pronunciation, while present, are more coincidental than intentional.

We used to go 15 pages at a time. Dunno what happened then, but I guess we're just lazy now with nothing to post.

How about...Let's see. We've covered movie 9 pretty well, the Kanto reunion a whole lot, the ribbon a ton, the protective/princess/knight thing, the comforting, how deep the relationship it may be, the Teddiursa figurine, the first episode, how Ash impacted May, etc. I think we've covered a ton of things and there's little we can discuss about now.

Well, Do you think AdvanceShipping has a higher chance of being canon than the other ships?

Well, Do you think AdvanceShipping has a higher chance of being canon than the other ships?

I'd say higher than PokeShipping, since we haven't seen Misty since the Kanto BF. PearlShipping offers some competition, while NegaiShipping is still too young to make any predictions. I doubt the other ships would pose much of a threat.

Do you think AdvanceShipping has a higher chance of being canon than the other ships?

Yes and no. To get this out of the way, I don't think any ships will become canon in the foreseeable future (except trivial, already canon ships like Balanceshipping)

So now to actually answer the topic. This is essentially what I think the chances of other ships occuring are relative to Advanceshipping.

Pokeshipping: Meh. I do have a lot of respect for Pokeshippers, but too much time has elapsed since Misty's departure. (Unfortunately, if May does not return, we'll end up in the same position.)
Pearlshipping: There are enough hints to make it plausible, but now that Dawn's left the show, I would have to say Pearl had fewer significant hints than Advance.
Contestshipping: If this was going to occur, there would have been hints during the Wallace Cup. There were none. Instead, there were AS hints.
Negaishipping: I don't know enough about BW to make a conclusion here.

Do you think AdvanceShipping has a higher chance of being canon than the other ships?

It depends on the ship...

Pokeshipping: I don't think Misty will ever return in the anime because Kanto is probably done... she only came back in AG because of Firered and Leafgreen.
Contestshipping: Again, I'm pretty sure Drew only appeared in AG and not DP, I don't think it will become canon
Pearlshipping: Pearlshipping, could still throw in some hints, because I heard Dawn and Brock are coming back sometime in Feb. ???

So, I think all ships are equal to become canon, however some ships are aging (like Pokeshipping) and simply wont become canon.

I'd say higher than Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping. If Drew fails to make a come back in the show then, higher than even Contestshipping. It's too early to say anything about Negaishipping. I think CS and NS are the real competitors of AS at the moment.
I'd be surprised if Drew appears again in the show. There were seasonal minor characters like Casey, Richie, Cassidy, Botch and few more who don't appear in the show anymore. I'm anticipating the same thing with Drew( he's still a minor character), Paul, Kenny, Zoey, Harley and some more. Nintendo has the option of pairing the main characters of the show among themselves something like this:

Ash & May
Gary & Dawn
Tracey & Misty
Dento & Iris

So I doubt that they would pair any minor charcter with a major character( I don't know about Brock). As far as shipping hints go by, all these shippings which I listed has good enough number of hints to become canon.

Pearlshipping: Pearlshipping, could still throw in some hints, because I heard Dawn and Brock are coming back sometime in Feb. ???

Dawn and Brock would have their special 1 hour episode dedicated to them only. They would be shown but, not with Ash. So there is less possibility of any hints.

Last edited:

I'd say higher than Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping. If Drew fails to make a come back in the show then, higher than even Contestshipping. It's too early to say anything about Negaishipping. I think CS and NS are the real competitors of AS at the moment.
I'd be surprised if Drew appears again in the show. There were seasonal minor characters like Casey, Richie, Cassidy, Botch and few more who don't appear in the show anymore. I'm anticipating the same thing with Drew( he's still a minor character), Paul, Kenny, Zoey, Harley and some more. Nintendo has the option of pairing the main characters of the show among themselves something like this:

Ash & May
Gary & Dawn
Tracey & Misty
Dento & Iris

So I doubt that they would pair any minor charcter with a major character( I don't know about Brock). As far as shipping hints go by, all these shippings which I listed has good enough number of hints to become canon.

Dawn and Brock would have their special 1 hour episode dedicated to them only. They would be shown but, not with Ash. So there is less possibility of any hints.
Yeah, I agree. Since Drew is a minor character, there is probably a lower chance of Drew coming back. Let's all hope PUSA ships the characters Emerald Gary said. :love: :ksmile:

Ash & May
Gary & Dawn
Tracey & Misty
Dento & Iris

too me though i think negaishipping also has a lot of hints, it seems to be the only serious rvial of advanceshipping

Ash & May
Gary & Dawn
Tracey & Misty
Dento & Iris

I give no arguement to this list. And that is a good point with Drew only being a minor charactor who will most likely never be seen again. I also agree that if CS was as canon as people say it is, there would have been a major hint in the wallace cup episode. But also, anyone who thinks any ship will become canon soon is kidding themselves(except, of coarse, balanceshipping, franticshipping, etc.)

edit:
I have just had a briliant idea. since we are scraping the bottom of the barrel with topic ideas, lets just reuse some old ones since we have new members. Why don't we start with the good stuff:
Why do you like AdvanceShipping?

Last edited:

Hm, maybe. since Drew has not made a camo since mid 2008 at the Wallace Cup. but that camo wasn't really contestshippy. you could say we have a better chance to become canon than Contestshipping.

Pokeshipping seems to stay strong. but Misty as well hasn't made a camo since AG. so Misty coming back for some hints seem quite blurry. yet it seems to be everyone's perfered ship, well nearly everyone. to others it seems to be the "orignal pairing" of the show.

Pearlshipping is still alive, some still sooking on her leaving still. (ffs get over it) and since the Pearlshipping hints were unconvicing and rare to be seen, i think we are ahead.

Negiashipping, its too early for me to judge about the Ash and Iris relationship. even though i see Iris super cute i don't think we will see any hints from her on Ash anytime soon. BW has only aired around 16 episodes. Lets not get carried away with silly rumors.

And why do you think we have a better chance? well we have movie nine,the ribbon, the Teddiursa figurine, and the good and convincing hints from AG to BF. so you can say we have it all to become well, canon hopefully. ^w^

Hey guys, i know i haven't been on for a while but i will answer the current topic...

Contestshipping- Could happen but like people in the past have said, Drew has not made a cameo apperence in a LONG time...

Pokeshipping- Has a better chance at happening than CS but again like people have said she has not made a cameo for a while as well

Pearl and Negai- Pearl is kind of meh cause there wasn't as many hints, and Negai is a bit too soon to tell yet.

AS has had a ton of hints and just seems to be a bit more realistic than the others, so yes i think AS has a better chance at happening than other ships.

Its good to see you back DJ and i am sorry for such an absence

pokeshipping- Not happening since Misty is not visiting Ash anymore

pearlshipping - Not as many hints

AdvanceShipping - has tons of hints

NegaiShipping - the girl looks weird like some egyptian child

When was May's last appearance in the show anyways?

Last edited:

pokeshipping- Not happening since Misty is not visiting Ash anymore

pearlshipping - Not as many hints

AdvanceShipping - has tons of hints

NegaiShipping - the girl looks weird like some egyptian child

When was May's last appearance in the show anyways?

The Wallace Cup in DP. she lasted at least 5 episodes before heading back to Johto.

Pokeshipping: I don't see a love-hate relationship working.

Pearlshipping: Not as many hints as other Dawn Ships.

Contestshipping: *See Pokeshipping*

Negaishipping: Too early to tell.

I sure hope so...

PokeShipping: Eventho Misty is gone, doesn't mean this ship is dead, there are still supporters out there, well numerous if u ask me. Yet the hints were kinda blatant and kinda got off-course as in random hints thrown during Johto.

PearlShipping: The hints presented for this one aren't really romantic but more of a friendlier sign cuz Ash and Dawn are long-lost siblings! Also Dawn didn't seemed interested into guys except for Gary MF Oak!<3

ContestShipping: I agree w/ Emerald Gary stating that Drew is a minor character and that we have our doubts for mai characters to be paired w/ minor. Another thing, this ship is too shallow for it to be canon, physical attraction, no thank you...>_<

NegaiShipping: Too early eventho Iris calls Ash a child, lol.XDDDDD Yeah calling a child might not be romantic, idk.:sweatlol:

pokeshipping- has some chance of happening but not as much as AS since she hasn't appeared for a while, and ash showed no honts of liking her back

pearlshipping-there's not much hints for this ship, i don't consider high 5's hints, and some of stuff listed on the pearlshipping page.

contestshipping- dre obviously has a crush on her, but may doesn't like him back. also i can't see may end up being with someone who's mean to her one second, then nice to her the next, and then is rude again. anyway i don't support one-sided love/hate relationships at all. i'm not much for two-sided love/hate either but i do prefer those over one-sided love/hate. however i do support a few love/hate relationships(they aren't in pokemon though)

negaishipping- it's kind of early in the show to say if it's a rival of AS, but iris has already shown hints that she likes ash. first of all, she kept following him in the 1st couple episodes w/ saying why, then she's overjoyed when ash asks her to travel with him. then in episode 15, she puts her hand on ash's shoulder similar to how Lyra did

Hey guys, I'm back from an unexpected absence. Since I'm still pretty new, I'll answer the topic...
I like Advanceshipping because it is a student/mentor sort of relationship. At the beginning of AG, May was a rookie trainer, and Ash taught May to like Pokemon and become a better trainer. The hints are also great such as Ash and May being parents of Manaphy in Movie 9.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just to name a few hints...

May makes Ash seem more mature in every aspect she's the one that makes Ash more calmer when he's angry (see deoxys movie and Lucario movie).

Back
Top Bottom