• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Re: AdvanceShipping Nation

Why do you like AdvanceShipping?

I like AdvanceShipping because Ash really cares for May, I know he cares for his friends and Pokemon but to May, it's as if he cares for her as much he cares for Pikachu in my opinion.

I would expect May to feel the same for Ash(well she does worry about him XD) since he had taught her so much about Pokemon which motivated her to go to Johto on her own.

I also like the intimate moments between the two, whenever May feels down, Ash will cheer her up and encourage her to try harder next time. Another thing during movie 9, when they were at the sub, Ash had this sad look on his face when May felt worried as of such cuz Manaphy went missing and swam off. lol and the luvdisc scene, the exchanging from the smiles were priceless.^^

Like Nanoka-kun said, May brings out the mature aspects from Ash which is true since he would calm down each time he gets into trouble. In fact Ash was mature throughout of AG but he does seem to lash out sometimes. Sadly, not much ppl like the mature Ash and him to be like the original series, well now he's reverted back to his old self in Best Wishes. I actually don't mind Ash being not so mature as long as he cares for his little girlfriend's gift to him.;-)

Do you think AdvanceShipping has a higher chance of being canon than the other ships?

Contestshipping- drew obviously has a crush on her, but may doesn't like him back.

Yes, Drew does have a crush on her. i think Solidad told May that in one of the episodes. and May doesn't have a crush on Drew?

Um, well sorry to raise your hopes up but the hints May shows in Ag towards Drew are pretty solid stuff.

You can say CS hints are more solid and to the points while AS hints are more weak and scattered. but each ship hints show romantic interest to each other. its just how each hint is presented by both ship that makes a difference.

DJMiju: Your siggy gave me a idea, do you happen to be AngelYoshi from dA? the ones that makes does funny advanceshipping comics? its just you seem farmilar to me.

DJMiju: Your siggy gave me a idea, do you happen to be AngelYoshi from dA? the ones that makes does funny advanceshipping comics? its just you seem farmilar to me.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head, it's me from dA.XD

Yes, Drew does have a crush on her. i think Solidad told May that in one of the episodes. and May doesn't have a crush on Drew?

Um, well sorry to raise your hopes up but the hints May shows in Ag towards Drew are pretty solid stuff.

You can say CS hints are more solid and to the points while AS hints are more weak and scattered. but each ship hints show romantic interest to each other. its just how each hint is presented by both ship that makes a difference.

Yea Contestshipping has more hints but I hate how contestshipping are. It's like a childish bickering relationship, it's not even a pure love hate relationship, because it seems shallow. Drew flicks his amazing green hair and dishes out roses, big deal. Anime relationships aren't like that. In anime relationship shows more of a caring relationship between the guy and the girl. They usually have meaningful gifts with each other like the Terracota contest ribbons, not Roses.

Hmmm.. Most normal pokemon fans or neutral shippers would admit that Contestshipping has more concrete hints than Advanceshipping. It's more from Drew's side though but, May has shown hints of liking Drew too. Honestly, I do admit that CS has stronger hints than AS. But, my deep research shows that they are both equally likely to come true. Some of the CS hints are just so obvious like blushing and all that. But, just think of it "Wouldn't it become boring if the producers put so many direct hints and disclose the official pairings of pokemon in advance?"
Contestshipping (and pokeshipping)has just that. Pokeshippers and Contestshippers consider these direct hints from Misty and Drew a big advantage. But, some evidences from other popular animes like Dragonball Z, Digimon etc show that surprise or unexpected endings are common in anime. If it is a big advantage at this moment then it can be a big disadvantage for these ships at the end. I do believe that the producers would like to keep the official pairings of pokemon a surprise and reveal them only when the show reaches it's climax.
Remember Bulma and Yamcha from DBZ or Taichi/Sora (Taiora) from Digimon. Direct hints is not the only factor which determines what shippings should come true. There are other factors and requirement to the storyline is the most important of them all. In DBZ Bulma ended up with Vegeta despite the lack of hints because storyline demanded that pairing to happen.
I'm anticipating a time skip and Advanceshipping(alongwith Cavalier and Orange) coming true in pokemon. You ask why?
A source called corocoro scan has revealed in 2010 that May has won the Johto grand festival. This shows that May hasn't been forgotten and she's more likely to make an extended cameo appearance compared to Misty/Dawn. I think they would show Ash winning Isshou league(or any other major league) and pair them together. A champion trainer with a champion coordinator. It's a great combo. They would together rule the Pokemon world of battles and contests. I think storyline of pokemon requires Advanceshipping to happen.
Honestly, to expect that writers would bring back Misty and show her battling gyms and becoming a water pokemon master would be simply exaggerating.

Yea Contestshipping has more hints but I hate how contestshipping are. It's like a childish bickering relationship, it's not even a pure love hate relationship, because it seems shallow. Drew flicks his amazing green hair and dishes out roses, big deal. Anime relationships aren't like that. In anime relationship shows more of a caring relationship between the guy and the girl. They usually have meaningful gifts with each other like the Terracota contest ribbons, not Roses.

Well before i supported Advanceshipping i use to like Contestshipping. i stopped supporting them because the hints where easily predicted and repeative. they didn't have the surprise factor they once had. and plus Drew is slowly starting to fade away since he has now turned into a minor charather.

And there is one quote thats stays in my head when you just mention ribbons and roses.

Roses dies but Ribbons last forever

Such a wonderful quote.

Hmmm.. Most normal pokemon fans or neutral shippers would admit that Contestshipping has more concrete hints than Advanceshipping. It's more from Drew's side though but, May has shown hints of liking Drew too. Honestly, I do admit that CS has stronger hints than AS. But, my deep research shows that they are both equally likely to come true. Some of the CS hints are just so obvious like blushing and all that. But, just think of it "Wouldn't it become boring if the producers put so many direct hints and disclose the official pairings of pokemon in advance?"

True. if advanceshipping started to have that hints like contestshipping which are mainly repeative and predictable then there would be no fun in supporting the ship.

Contestshipping (and pokeshipping)has just that. Pokeshippers and Contestshippers consider these direct hints from Misty and Drew a big advantage. But, some evidences from other popular animes like Dragonball Z, Digimon etc show that surprise or unexpected endings are common in anime.

I also do agree with you with that. Pokeshipping and some sides to Contestshipping are mainly one-sided. there really is no fun to support a ship where only one charather shows all the hints and one doesn't even bother.

If it is a big advantage at this moment then it can be a big disadvantage for these ships at the end. I do believe that the producers would like to keep the official pairings of pokemon a surprise and reveal them only when the show reaches it's climax.
Remember Bulma and Yamcha from DBZ or Taichi/Sora (Taiora) from Digimon. Direct hints is not the only factor which determines what shippings should come true. There are other factors and requirement to the storyline is the most important of them all. In DBZ Bulma ended up with Vegeta despite the lack of hints because storyline demanded that pairing to happen.

I remember that. Thing is, since the ratings for BW are higer than normal we might never know who ends up with who with all the new charathers the show are adding in. we might be at least 30 years old before the show really ends at the rate BW are going at. T_T

I'm anticipating a time skip and Advanceshipping(alongwith Cavalier and Orange) coming true in pokemon. You ask why?

I didn't ask but go ahead. lol.

A source called corocoro scan has revealed in 2010 that May has won the Johto grand festival. This shows that May hasn't been forgotten and she's more likely to make an extended cameo appearance compared to Misty/Dawn. I think they would show Ash winning Isshou league(or any other major league) and pair them together. A champion trainer with a champion coordinator. It's a great combo. They would together rule the Pokemon world of battles and contests. I think storyline of pokemon requires Advanceshipping to happen.

I'm going to abuse my Caps Lock key for this.

SINCE WHEN??!!!

I don't remember that ever happening. (can you show us a scan at least?) the main girls such as Dawn and May, they don't really win in their chosen goal, like Dawn who only ended up getting to the semi-finals againest Zoey. they won't win anything unless the show ends which will be in....future?

Honestly, to expect that writers would bring back Misty and show her battling gyms and becoming a water pokemon master would be simply exaggerating.

Exaggerating? how so?

Yeah you hit the nail on the head, it's me from dA.XD

So it is you. I'm Slivermoon602 from dA. I'm drawing you a late bday gift. your a awsome person so you deserve a awsome gift. rofl. it might be late though, i have a few commissions to finish.

And here is a advanceshipping artwork i made. i haven't uploded it on dA since i haven't reached my 50K pageview yet. only a few hundred left to go.

Adv50khits.jpg

Last edited:

umm, the blushing scenes are really that solid moments in those cases since May is the type of person who gets embarassed easily. she's blushed countless of times, but not always around drew though

I remember that. Thing is, since the ratings for BW are higer than normal we might never know who ends up with who with all the new charathers the show are adding in. we might be at least 30 years old before the show really ends at the rate BW are going at. T_T

Yeah I agree with you. I've friends in Japan. The show still gets high ratings there. If the ratings of Best wishes stay the same. Then this is most likely to happen :)))

*Ash will lose Isshou league from another legendary pokemon.
*Ash will go to another new region leaving all his pokemon behind
(except Pikachu)
*Iris, Dento, Shooti, Belle and all other characters (except Joy, Jenny and Team Rocket) would be replaced with a set of new characters.
*Pokemon would continue for another half a decade.
*Ash would stay as a 10 year old.

CoroCoro is a comic/news magazine published by Shogakukan, the company affiliated with Pokemon. An article in this magazine did reveal in May 2010 that she has won Johto GF. According to this article May is currently at Petalburg city after being done with Johto.
Sorry! I can't show you. But if you google it you'd find it on some of the trusted english sites including wikipedia. But, not in detail.

And about Misty, she's almost forgotten in Japan. She is stuck at Cerulean gym. There is no latest news about her for a while now. Her dream of becoming a water pokemon master and her crush on Ash has been left unresolved(which is not likely to be resolved ever). She suffered from horrible writing. So in my opinion we shouldn't expect Misty making frequent appaerances or a longer cameo now. I highly doubt that we would see anymore PS hints.

Last edited:

The only way the Pokemon anime and it's concepts will really advance (lol advance, geddit) is after it's demise in X or so years from now, when it falls out of favor with it's target audience, and following that its inevitable reboot another X years later, with a changed format to appeal to a new target audience.

They're already changing the format slightly inbetween each generation, though, so maybe I'm wrong and we won't ever see a revolution.

Yeah I agree with you. I've friends in Japan. The show still gets high ratings there. If the ratings of Best wishes stay the same. Then this is most likely to happen :)))

*Ash will lose Isshou league from another legendary pokemon.
*Ash will go to another new region leaving all his pokemon behind
(except Pikachu)
*Iris, Dento, Shooti, Belle and all other characters (except Joy, Jenny and Team Rocket) would be replaced with a set of new characters.
*Pokemon would continue for another half a decade.
*Ash would stay as a 10 year old.

Lol, funny. i said the same thing when Sinnoh started. now look where we are. hardly any of my guessed were right other then Ash's age. I doubt TR will be replaced. i really do, BUT this is pokemon. who knows what plans they have up their sleeves.

Lol and also. Ash will ALWAYS lose the the leagues. its faith. lets all face it, Ash will never become a pokemon master. i think the writers have noticed THAT by now. lol.

CoroCoro is a comic/news magazine published by Shogakukan, the company affiliated with Pokemon. An article in this magazine did reveal in May 2010 that she has won Johto GF. According to this article May is currently at Petalburg city after being done with Johto.
Sorry! I can't show you. But if you google it you'd find it on some of the trusted english sites including wikipedia. But, not in detail.

Lol, Wikipedia had none of that info. lol.

[And about Misty, she's almost forgotten in Japan. She is stuck at Cerulean gym. There is no latest news about her for a while now. Her dream of becoming a water pokemon master and her crush on Ash has been left unresolved(which is not likely to be resolved ever). She suffered from horrible writing. So in my opinion we shouldn't expect Misty making frequent appaerances or a longer cameo now. I highly doubt that we would see anymore PS hints.

She was in the intro for one of the seasons of DP, i doubt the writers have forgotten her. its just they might have a hard time to know when to put her in.

But she hasn't made a camo since around 2006 so by now, the writers are too lazy for her to return. the oldest charather to really return would have to be Gary and May. they made a big impact in DP, even their camos were rather short.

So it is you. I'm Slivermoon602 from dA. I'm drawing you a late bday gift. your a awsome person so you deserve a awsome gift. rofl. it might be late though, i have a few commissions to finish.

I pretty much recognize you by the art you posted, as for me, I did posted pages from my comics a while back.:sweatlol: Well that's okay if you're making me a late b-day gift, and thnx!:)

He'll marry his pikachu someday.

XD

May did make a cameo. If the gifts etc. at the start of BW can be counted as one, anyway.

At least it means that the writers haven't forgotten about her.

May did make a cameo. If the gifts etc. at the start of BW can be counted as one, anyway.

At least it means that the writers haven't forgotten about her.

With BW begin super popluar, with all the advanceshipper fans happy about May's Teddiursa 5 second camo in Ash's room. i think we can count that as a hint. even though its a really small one.

True. but thing is will that doll be the only thing BW will remind the younger fans of May? i mean Ash never showed the ribbon they shared until May reminded him of it.

It's there! It's not easily noticeable though. here's the link

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/May_(anime)

Look under the trivia section a one line desciption of CoroCoro scan has been given.

There is not currently an article with this exact name. Feel free to create it.

Hm, thats all that page gave me. lol.

NOW HERE IS A NEW TOPICA (lol, capslock abuser)

How has your opinion of Advanceshipping changed from your initial reaction to it over the time you've been an Advanceshipper? Has May's current absence from the show diminished your enthusiasm for Advanceshipping or only strengthened your resolve?

(from the serebii advanceshipping tread)

My opinion on advanceshipping has changed over the years little by little. i started to be obessed then i calmed down and just gave up, then i went back but not obessed over it anymore. lol.

I think May's absent from the show has affect us all in a way. most have already stopped shipping Ash and May together when we found out May didn't made a camo in Pallet. but when i saw May's Teddiursa doll in the first BW episode i suddenly gained hope that May will make a camo in the near future. now if Ash shows the ribbon in BW someday, then a lot of advancershippers who had given up will come back.

Now has that made my belief in the ship stronger or weaker? Stronger since i saw that doll in Ash's room in BW ep1. when i lose hope i watch the Wallace cup arc where May was. when advancershippers tell me that May won't come back ever i tell them this.

The Wallace Cup is one of the most remembered and one of the main events from DP. it was where Ash saw Aself who plays a big part in the Team Galatic arc. the Wallace Cup was mentioned by many chararthers such as Paul, Ursula, Kenny, Zoey and Brock. May's name was mention by Brock when May told them the story when she was at Snowpoint when Ash and co reached Snowpoint and was reserching about Uxie. Now if people saw all of that except the Wallace Cup they would watch it becoz they want to know who this May person is. they just can't talk about the Wallace cup and act like May never came in. Now if the writers are just going to dump all of that then it shows they haven't learned anything from what they did to poor Tracey.

So by having all of this backing me up i won't lose my faith in advanceshipping.

Last edited:

How has your opinion of Advanceshipping changed from your initial reaction to it over the time you've been an Advanceshipper? Has May's current absence from the show diminished your enthusiasm for Advanceshipping or only strengthened your resolve?

yes, it has I am slowly losing hope that advanceshipping is going to come true the way things are going now. I highly doubt whether any of the ships will come true now that you mentioned it. Ash is still 10 for pete's sake even May is 12 or 13 by the diamond and pearl series. When pokemon first aired in japan i was 7 and Ash was 10, now I am 20 and Ash is still 10, these last 13 years didn't change Ash one bit. Pokemon will forever keep resetting when Ash visits a new region and Ash will forever remain 10.

It's there! It's not easily noticeable though. here's the link

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/May_(anime)

Look under the trivia section a one line desciption of CoroCoro scan has been given.

corocoro scan says none of the main characters, Ash Brock and Dawn knows May has won Johto Grand Festival, Ash won't win Isshu he will place in top 2 and lose in the final round. Ash was top 16 in kanto, top 8 in johto, top 8 in hoenn, top 4 in sinnoh, so he's gonna be top 4 or top 2 in Isshu, then the region after Isshu or the region after that he will win the championship.

Last edited:

Yes, May's absence from the show has diminished the enthusiasm. It was great when May made her cameo in DP. Let's all hope she makes another cameo sometime when the R/S/E remakes come out in 2012.

yes, it has I am slowly losing hope that advanceshipping is going to come true the way things are going now. I highly doubt whether any of the ships will come true now that you mentioned it. Ash is still 10 for pete's sake even May is 12 or 13 by the diamond and pearl series. When pokemon first aired in japan i was 7 and Ash was 10, now I am 20 and Ash is still 10, these last 13 years didn't change Ash one bit. Pokemon will forever keep resetting when Ash visits a new region and Ash will forever remain 10.

Ash, May, Dawn, Misty,Iris, Dent, Tracey, Brock, Paul, Zoey and the other million of rivals Ash and co meet will always be at the set age of ten.

Only a few gym leaders are older than ten. It's funny, i started to watch pokemon when i was 6 and and im about to turn 18. lol. i guess we have to deal with Ash's age for a long time to come.

Contestshipping (and pokeshipping)has just that. Pokeshippers and Contestshippers consider these direct hints from Misty and Drew a big advantage. But, some evidences from other popular animes like Dragonball Z, Digimon etc show that surprise or unexpected endings are common in anime. If it is a big advantage at this moment then it can be a big disadvantage for these ships at the end. I do believe that the producers would like to keep the official pairings of pokemon a surprise and reveal them only when the show reaches it's climax.

Ash isn't winning the Isshu League with such weak pokemon. Pikachu getting owned by Jarlovy and a whole bunch of other weak starter base form pokemon too. Time to call upon charizard, sceptile, gliscor, torterra, infernape and donphan or snorlax or heracross for back up.

I used to be an obsessed monkey, getting into Shipping wars all the time and what not. Lol. But now...I just like it for the pure fact that I...Like it? I mean, I still love ADV, for sure, but it's not my OTP anymore (My OTP is in another fandom :D) May's absence really takes it's toll, but the jump start hint that gave in BW ep 1 gives me a little hint, despite the fact that she isn't really more special than the other characters. I just have my fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom