• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Liberty Pass event announced for PAL regions: Distribution to begin March 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Liberty Pass event announced for North America and PAL regions: Distribution to b

Then someone should go fix that, it's not too hard.

Though...Ryu, I'm going to guess you didn't write the title of the article if you submitted it and are questioning why it says that.
Based on the history, Ryu had it saying just UK dates and then it got changed by immewnity

Re: Liberty Pass event announced for North America and PAL regions: Distribution to b

Based on the history, Ryu had it saying just UK dates and then it got changed by immewnity

So we know who to go after then

BRING OUT THE V-GENERATES!

But in all seriousness, and especially on the mini-site one, why the edit job Immewnity?

Can I just include examples of Europe and US getting different WiFi event dates; Ranger 3.

While they ended the same time, they weren't on at the same time. Europe got Heatran much later.

It's very possible this will happen with Gen V

immewnity has slipped up a bit recently. Remember the entire list of unconfirmed names being brought to BulbaNews? immewnity did that.

Can I just include examples of Europe and US getting different WiFi event dates; Ranger 3.

While they ended the same time, they weren't on at the same time. Europe got Heatran much later.

It's very possible this will happen with Gen V
If I remember correctly, the only Ranger 3 Event Europe had that was exactly the same in timing as America's was the Shaymin mission.

I can understand with the European Beast event, as Wondercards work for language in Generation IV, not region, but for Generation V, it's hard to predict. I'm sure they'll be an announcement soon anyway, as the U.S. release date is only two days after.

One thing I am wondering, which at this point may not seem connected, but, do U.S. DSi-Enhanced titles work on European DSi/XLs? Because with the 3DS being completely region blocked, it wouldn't surprise me if, at least when Pokémon moves to that console, events are region blocked (rather than language, like Gen IV).

Uh, what?

It STARTS the day the games are released...and ends on the day D/P were released in the US.

And to add to my previous statement, Joe has a valid point, but I just don't see region locked events happening until Pokemon moves onto the 3Ds

Pokémon Ranger managed to do that even between North American, UK and Australian English games if I recall, so they have the ability to do it for DS games. It seems like a sensible approach they'd take when one takes into consideration that they advertise these events specifically for region X and not region Y. The language issue in Gen IV was likely an oversight of theirs and could have easily fixed in a new generation.

If I remember correctly, the only Ranger 3 Event Europe had that was exactly the same in timing as America's was the Shaymin mission.

I can understand with the European Beast event, as Wondercards work for language in Generation IV, not region, but for Generation V, it's hard to predict. I'm sure they'll be an announcement soon anyway, as the U.S. release date is only two days after.

One thing I am wondering, which at this point may not seem connected, but, do U.S. DSi-Enhanced titles work on European DSi/XLs? Because with the 3DS being completely region blocked, it wouldn't surprise me if, at least when Pokémon moves to that console, events are region blocked (rather than language, like Gen IV).
No they don't. The DSi and the 3DS have the exact same region blocks

No they don't. The DSi and the 3DS have the exact same region blocks
Thanks.

What I was getting at is; the Nintendo DSi and DSi XL consoles are region blocked (for enhanced titles; like Black and White are), and the 3DS is region blocked too, unlike the Nintendo DS, which was region free. Sure, Black and White do work on Nintendo DS and Lite consoles (Otherwise, how am I playing my Japanese White? xD), but as Nintendo are wanting to promote the DSi and XL more than the Lite, it would make sense that GameFreak made these games with the intention of people playing them on DSi Consoles (Hence the Xtransciever video-chat), and the DSi bundles - yet, they aren't bundled with XL consoles, which are the most recent). So, at least at this time, I'd say it's safe to assume that the events are region blocked until we hear otherwise.

We'll probably have to wait a while to find out though; as Nintendo of America will probably do a Wi-Fi event at launch for the Liberty Pass as well. The only way I can see to check this early on, is if someone gets an American copy on 5th March (like how some online retailers dispatch for release day, and sometimes they end up early); as NOA would probably start an event on the 6th.

Thanks.

What I was getting at is; the Nintendo DSi and DSi XL consoles are region blocked (for enhanced titles; like Black and White are), and the 3DS is region blocked too, unlike the Nintendo DS, which was region free. Sure, Black and White do work on Nintendo DS and Lite consoles (Otherwise, how am I playing my Japanese White? xD), but as Nintendo are wanting to promote the DSi and XL more than the Lite, it would make sense that GameFreak made these games with the intention of people playing them on DSi Consoles (Hence the Xtransciever video-chat), and the DSi bundles - yet, they aren't bundled with XL consoles, which are the most recent). So, at least at this time, I'd say it's safe to assume that the events are region blocked until we hear otherwise.

We'll probably have to wait a while to find out though; as Nintendo of America will probably do a Wi-Fi event at launch for the Liberty Pass as well. The only way I can see to check this early on, is if someone gets an American copy on 5th March (like how some online retailers dispatch for release day, and sometimes they end up early); as NOA would probably start an event on the 6th.

I wouldn't say they're region-blocked because of DSi (yet I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to just region block it in those consoles only, since I recall people mentioning the games had the code on the box saying it was DSi enhanced), but Ranger achieved block-status while being on the DS.

Yeah, but that's probably because by that time, the games were made with the intention of people playing them on the Nintendo DSi and XL consoles, rather than the originals. For Generation IV main games, the events were probably designed for the region free Diamond and Pearl, and then GF wanted to remain consistent.

Yeah, but that's probably because by that time, the games were made with the intention of people playing them on the Nintendo DSi and XL consoles, rather than the originals. For Generation IV main games, the events were probably designed for the region free Diamond and Pearl, and then GF wanted to remain consistent.

Pretty sure SoA had them at different times too. The wondercards were probably just a slight oversight in Gen IV.

It's important to note that Game Freak have nothing to do with the making of the Ranger series, and the way its programming team decided to go about doing events won't have any impact on what GF does. It's much more likely they'll simply do it the same way they did before. It's simpler to have one Wondercard distribution server per language, rather than two distinct English servers and one each for the remaining 6.

Also, with HgSs Nintendo didn't even bother creating a seperate ROM image for mass production for English Europe and North America; as we got the Game Corner changes mandated primarily by EU regulations. The data is identical, and the Wondercard server is hardcoded (and identical). I don't see why they'd change that now and go through the effort of producing a seperate ROM image just to change the server address, when they don't even bother making one that uses proper UK English and whatnot.

Because as I said earlier; unlike Generation IV; Generation V is region blocked. The DSi, DSi XL and 3DS region blocking doesn't just limit the game origin, but software downloads (like DSiWare). By now, Nintendo would be hoping that players would be using a DSi or DSi XL to play Black and White, not a DS Lite (hence the Xtransciever having a DSi-only feature), so it makes logical sense.

Well, either way, we should find out by 5th March if someone gets a pre-release U.S. copy and tries to download the event.

As for different servers...well, look at Pokémon.com's recent changes - was the Canadian redirect-to-the-U.S. site, and the bland UK site really necessary? xD

Because as I said earlier; unlike Generation IV; Generation V is region blocked. The DSi, DSi XL and 3DS region blocking doesn't just limit the game origin, but software downloads (like DSiWare). By now, Nintendo would be hoping that players would be using a DSi or DSi XL to play Black and White, not a DS Lite (hence the Xtransciever having a DSi-only feature), so it makes logical sense.

The games themselves may (probably will) be region-locked, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to create two seperate ROM images (which would again add more expense). The region coding is probably determined by some separate chip or other piece of hardware that's installed on the board when producing the cartridge.

As for different servers...well, look at Pokémon.com's recent changes - was the Canadian redirect-to-the-U.S. site, and the bland UK site really necessary? xD

That's no different than the many distinct Hg/Ss sites that've existed since those games were released - and the seperate Platinum site that exists for several regions - and I think there are even a few different Diamond/Pearl sites, though probably not as many as for its successors. It's just Nintendo continuing to expand on the trend they've established of catering to as many countries as possible with individual websites. The Wondercard servers aren't linked to those sites, afaik.

Well, if anyone gets an advanced-copy of the American version on 5th March, we'll know then =3. Until then, all we can do is go round with circles. Still, until we know 100%, it's best to assume that the events are region blocked, because that if they are and sites had said the event will be available for North America, there will be a lot of angry fans.

I'd agree this article probably shouldn't have jumped the gun, though I see the possibility of region-locked Wi-Fi events as very remote. System region-locking is an entirely different thing and implemented at a different stage of production.

I suspect B&W will leak early in both regions, so we'll likely know before even the 4th.

The fact is, you shouldn't state stuff as fact when it's not

I didn't, Joe. ;-)

I will recommend editing the article until such time as subsequent announcements are made, however. (though even if by some odd circumstances events are region-locked, going by what's happened with both Japan and Europe, North America's Liberty pass is likely to be available from B&W's release date here, as well).

While that's the case with Gen IV, we don't know if that's the case with Gen V. While it is likely, yes, these assumptions should not be made by any reputable site.

The fact is, you shouldn't state stuff as fact when it's not

What a hypocrite. Serebii yelling at us for making conclusions.

Wow.

----

immewnity has slipped up a bit recently. Remember the entire list of unconfirmed names being brought to BulbaNews? immewnity did that.

If I may, when I posted the list was literally minutes after the removal on PokeJungle, and I was attempting to get in contact with other admins shortly after posting. About ten minutes after posting I finally got a response, and it was removed.

Also, the N isn't capitalized. Bulbanews.

What a hypocrite. Serebii yelling at us for making conclusions.

Wow.
Everyone's a hypocrite; it's called life. Still, I see no denial that this was a wrong conclusion to jump to; considering that we haven't had an international Gen V event yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom