• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you used to dislike, but have grown fond of over time.

Grave-E

Load of Belloni
Reaction score
Simple enough question. Is there a pokemon you despised when you were first introduced to it, but after a few months, maybe even years, you eventually warmed up to it? Maybe even becoming a personal favourite?

To get the ball rolling

Off the top of my head, the first pokemon that comes to mind is Mijumaru. I wasn't at all fond of this guy when it was first revealed, mainly due to how painfully similar it looked to Piplup. But during the months leading up to Black and White's release, it became a lot easier to like. Making fun of it made it charming in it's own way, but eventually I decided to wave the white flag and give in once it turned up in the show, brimming with personallity. I still think it looks, for lack of a better word, dorky, but y'know, that's part of the reason it's become so endearing to me.

Funny, I had that exact reaction to Mijimaru myself, and similar change of opinion (Although it's evolutions also helped).

Anyway, another Pokémon that I had a similar warming up to is Aipom. It didn't make alot of sense to me when it was the only member of it's family. I didn't think alot of it. Then Ash caught one and it became kinda endearing to me. Then it's evolution was introduced and the family made alot more sense. STAB and Techncian-boosted Fake Out was also a huge plus.

Mijumaru didn't take long, the hate-art made me a fan of it.

Hypno took a few generations to get over its creepiness though.

This happened quite recently, actually! A friend and I traded eggs with each other, each containing Pokemon we knew the other didn't like. I received and hatched my egg, revealing a Riolu. I wasn't a big fan of Lucario or Riolu, to be honest. The looked really dorky with those weird head things that just dangle, and VG Cats got it right with "Stripes and Spikes". Nonetheless, I said I was going to raise it, and I did. Evolved at lvl 7. After a bit, I started liking how fast she was, and I loved how strong both ATK and SA were. After getting her to level 70, I can safely say it's now one of my favorites and has a solid station on my main team.

Dusknoir. I never liked any of the members of its evolution family, and didn't like it when I first saw it. Then I saw that one filler episode of the anime with the summer camp and fell in love. I trained one on my diamond version mainly to help fill my pokedex, and it's now one of my favorite pokemon.

Crobat too, now that I think on it. I'd always hated them all from the games, being stuck in caves. I'm not sure why I decided to train one in Sapphire, but it's now another of my favorites.

Let's see:

Pikachu, the whole Turtwig line, Oshawott (and its name! ;)), Enuboh/Emboar, Parasect, Feraligatr, Swinub and its evos, Bastiodon, Drapion, Reshiram (but I still like Zekrom more), Baruchai and Barujina (don't remember their English names), Hippopotas and Hippowdon, etcetera.

Wow. I didn't realize until now how many Pokes fit this for me.

Tepig. I hated the idea of a pig as a fire starter at first. Then I saw it become a giant pig demon that is Emboar and worshipped the thing instantly.

yeah, majimiru is very bad look...
its dont have an original style...
squirtle - turtle
totodile - crocodile
mudkip - land fish
piplup - penguin
majimiru - ???

yeah, majimiru is very bad look...
its dont have an original style...
squirtle - turtle
totodile - crocodile
mudkip - land fish
piplup - penguin
majimiru - ???

Oshawott being a sea otter.

I tend to do this whenever new generations come out - in particular, I used to not like Lucario, Goruugu and Kirikizan, but their designs have kind of grown on me since. Also, I've completely grown beyond my distaste for Infernape, and though I used to dislike Scizor compared to Scyther, now I prefer Scizor entirely.

all of gen 5's pokemon. actually, for a long time i wasn't even planning on buying the games because i didn't like anything. i still don't like some of them, but quite a few have really grown on me. ;p

Oshawott and Emboar for me. Still can't decide who to start with in white.

Oddly enough, I didn't like Daikenki/Samurott when it was first shown as a leak. I grew fond of it when I saw some fanart of it, though.

Also Pokémon such as Magmortar, Parasect, Snubull, Pineco and Duskull.

Magikarp. Not because of Gyarados. I hated it for being weak.
Then I caught a level 90 one in the Resort Area.

Tepig, i hated it at first, but now i'm fond of him, and i wish i had a second DS to get it too XD!
Always liked Mijumaru though
and Snivy... well... look at my username

but others are: Hypno, first i liked him, then Green Zubat posted Hypno's song, but now i have convinced myself that the ones i get to catch aren't rapists.
Hipopotas's Line: OMG! it's a Sand Hippo? that's just stupid!, some months later... OMG! Quakejaw has evolved into Hippowdon! Me: YAY!
Golem: It's Useless! then i decided to use one in my LG Nuzlocke Run, survived along with Blastoise, Pidgeot, Lapras, Ninetales and Gengar.
Steelix: ? That thing is atrocious!, *see's Mikan's in the Anime* I WANT ONE! NAO!
Venomoth: is it a bigger butterfre? realizes it isn't, i love Venomoth now!
Blaziken: *sees it on serebii* oh... is that a Pokémon? - i then ee Harrison's - i'll get Ruby or Sapphire and get it!

and many, many more, though Tepig is the only Gen V one, i loved this gen's Pokémon.

This list is all too long. :sweatlol: But there's one that stand out.
Back when the starters were revealed and their evolutions leaked, my reaction face to the pig was always :conangry:.
Now there's no doubt which one I'll pick.

Oshawott for me.
I couldn't stand the way it looked when it was revealed and immediately went for Tepig. But the more I looked at the little otter, the more I liked the little bugger. Now I love him to pieces. :crush:

Like many people, Oshawott. The subsequent revelation of its (badasses!) evolutions helped a lot of this, because I still find it ugly xD. And I became a fan of Daikenki when I realized it learns Megahorn via move relearner.

Also, Eeveelutions. In fact I never disliked them, but I didn't use to pay attention to them. When I started to realize their abilities, they became a "must be" on my teams.

All cave Pokemon, which were always annoying to get through with. Now I even use some like Zubat, Aron, Clefairy and Abra on my teams.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom