• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Toys R' Us' Mew Giveaway Details Announced

GrnMarvl14

Lying
Reaction score
Original source.

Visit any Toys R Us video game area from noon to 3:00 PM September 30th to receive the mysterious Mew Free! While supplies last

What you need to do to get Mew:
Be sure to bring in your Nintendo Game Boy Advance and/or Game Boy Advance SP and any ONE of the following Pokémon® GBA game paks:

* Pokémon Ruby
* Pokémon Sapphire
* Pokémon FireRed
* Pokémon LeafGreen
* Pokémon Emerald

Mew will be traded into your Pokémon game pak using the Game Boy Advance link cable
(provided at Toys"R"Us).

Before arriving at the event, please make sure the Pokémon game you are using meets the requirements listed below:

Mew will be traded to you for a Pokémon you already have in your party. Therefore, please make sure you have a Pokémon in your party that you are willing to trade. Any Pokémon will do-it does not need to be a special one.

Please make sure to save your game while you are on the second floor of a Pokémon Center in the game-this will speed up the process of trading Mew.

Save in a Pokémon Center

Pokémon Emerald: -IMPORTANT- If you have Pokémon Emerald, you must have obtained the National Pokédex by beating the game (defeating the Elite Four and being entered in to the Hall of Fame). If you have not gotten to this point in Emerald, you cannot get Mew for your Emerald game pak. Also, you need to have an extra Pokémon in your party that you are willing to trade.

National Pokédex Hall of Fame Debut

Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire and Pokémon FireRed & LeafGreen: You must have the Pokédex and have an extra Pokémon in your party that you are willing to trade.

Make sure you have the Pokédex (you need the National Pokédex in Pokémon Emerald)

We hope to see you at the event! Take good care of Mew!

I KNEW there'd be a catch. A three hour window and a forced trade.

I'm not bothered. These are the same conditions I was under when I won a Mew in a Toys R Us contest in 1999. I even remember the details.

They gave out scratch-off cards with pictures of the rare Pokémon on them, and Mew. You had to scratch Mew off, and underneath would be one of two things: a Geoffrey the Giraffe head if you lost, and "CAUGHT ME!" if you won.

Once you found a card with "CAUGHT ME!" under Mew you had to bring it to Toys R Us on a certain day, and they would trade the Mew to your game. I remember distinctly trading a Fearow from my Yellow to get Mew.

What intrigues me though.....what of Faraway Island? That is the place you go to catch a wild level 30 Mew in Emerald, but you need an Old Sea Map to reach it. I know for a fact it is in the English version of the game, so when will it be revealed?

I am going to trade my hacked Deoxys just because I'm cool like that....XD

Good thing I kept my GBA. It's pretty old, though. Hopefully it won't randomly stop working while I'm trading. The only dilemna is which game to take so I can get the Mew. I'll probably pick Emerald since it's my main game. Even better, I have a bunch of Yanmas from shiny hatching to keep until I can get the Mew.

I'm just wondering what will happen to the traded Pokemon (for curiousity's sake). Poor things will most likely end up deleted immediately upon trading. It'd be kinda interesting if a few were given out as prizes for other events. "ZOMG ADAMANT YANMA WITH SIGNAL BEAM AND AWESOME IVS THANK YOU RANDOM TRAINER LOL"

goddamnit, it WOULD be on a Saturday, wouldn't it?

(makes a mental note to ask for the 30th off of work)

The actual trade isn't that bad since I've got like tons of baby pokemon from breeding. I'll probably end up not going like I did with JAA because I probably just won't feel like it. Atleast a Toys'R'Us is alot closer to me than Long Island.

Cool, I'm definitely going. I've got a whole bunch of extra, low-level Pokemon on Emerald, should be a nice chance to get rid of one.

Is it at ALL Toys R Us stores with a video game department, or just participating ones? If it's just select stores, how do you find out if the one near you is doing it?

I don't see anything saying only certain ones are participating. Although I did find a fun little caveat:

*Adding Mew to the game is a "trade" process and requires the owner of the game to give up one of the original game characters. Best efforts will be made to trade Mew with all qualifying Pokemon gamers wishing to do so. However, this opportunity will end promptly at 3PM and fans remaining in line at 3PM will not be able to participate.

I'm curious as to why there's a cutoff time and why it's so firm.

...that is bizzare. o.o

An explination for the time limit would be nice.

Anyway, may as well wait to pick up Mystery of Mew and Mystery Dungeon while I'm there to get in the mood.

...it took me too long to realize they both had "Mystery" in their titles. o.o

It really is strange that they have a cut-off time. It really doesn't seem fair, especially for people that have to drive a long way to get there, and have made a special trip. If they don't end up getting the Mew, they've wasted their whole day for nothing.

It really is strange that they have a cut-off time. It really doesn't seem fair, especially for people that have to drive a long way to get there, and have made a special trip. If they don't end up getting the Mew, they've wasted their whole day for nothing.

Unless it's PUSA staff doing it and they don't want to pay them extra or something... Maybe Toy R Us will do it all day if it isn't... Ya know...just to be nice... and heck they might sell more DVDs that way...

The cut-off time really sucks for me because I have to work that Saturday, and I don't get off until 4:00. So, in order for me to do this, I'll have to go to my local Toys 'R' Us during my lunch hour and hope that the line isn't too long.

I SO have to go to this. I better start to be good to earn it...

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom