• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Famitsu: Pokemon DP is 35/40

Misty

I'm the TRASH MAN! I eat GAHBAGE!
Reaction score
I'm mostly just posting this for the hell of it, imo Famitsu lost all credibility when they gave Nintendogs a 40/40, but for people who might care I'll go ahead and share it.

Random trivia: Dead Rising also got a 35/40 X)

I want to know the details of the review myself, just to know why that one person gave it an 8.

for Pokemon, that kind of sucks, I wonder why did it get reviewed like that..

Seeing how most games don't get NEAR 40/40 in Famitsu (only five games to date, right?), 35/40 is great. And it's even better than what Ruby/Sapphire got, and R/S is considered a great game.

I can't wait! =D

and R/S is considered a great game.

...except by most people who actually played it :p

(Seriously, it wasn't THAT bad, but it was by far the worst "main generation games" to date for pokémon. RB and GS were just plain better. Emerald improved things a lot ; right now I'd say that RB (after the FRLG upgrade), GS and RS (after the Emerald upgrade) are all great games.

Last edited:
victoly.png

...except by most people who actually played it :p

(Seriously, it wasn't THAT bad, but it was by far the worst "main generation games" to date for pokémon. RB and GS were just plain better. Emerald improved things a lot ; right now I'd say that RB (after the FRLG upgrade), GS and RS (after the Emerald upgrade) are all great games.

I, as well as many others, enjoyed R/S a LOT more than the past games. Just because YOU didn't like the games, that doesn't mean that they were the "worst". Your word isn't fact. :)

Isn't Famitsu like the Japanese equivalent of Nintendo Power? Which, in turn, is the equivalent of those fanboys who are all like "omG NinTENdO rULZ SonEE SUXORZZ!!!11!1"

I've heard Famitsu is like the god of Gaming Magazine, and they don't prefer one system.

I'd have to agree with Damian. I hardly do anything on Sapphire anymore, save for Contests, breeding, and berry farming... There's just not much to offer, post-game wise. I'm still getting my butt kicked by my rival in LeafGreen, and Emerald has the Battle Frontier to kill time in. RS is about as basic as it gets.

But I can understand why they were so boring... Game Freak was probably much more focused on developing for the new Game Boy hardware than it was making new innovations in gameplay.

Isn't Famitsu like the Japanese equivalent of Nintendo Power? Which, in turn, is the equivalent of those fanboys who are all like "omG NinTENdO rULZ SonEE SUXORZZ!!!11!1"

Not at all. Famitsu is a general gaming magazine - so they're more like, say, GamePro or EGM. On the other hand, Famitsu has, in the past, demonstrated considerable bias towards many Nintendo and Square-Enix games. Of course, I'm sure you could find plenty of bias towards, say, GTA or Halo or Madden in Western magazines, so it's not really as bad as it sounds.

Also, incidentally, Nintendo Power has been completely revamped, and according to quite a few people they are substantially better now. Dunno if you care, but I figure I'll throw that out there x)

The new NP is better, they mention other games on other systems without bashing them, are funnier, and don't fill it up with like 30 pages of walkthroughs.

But no, Famitsu is not like the guy in my sig....

GSC was definately the worst. The new Pokemon weren't incorporated very well, in terms of distribution (randomly sticking some in Kanto, for instance), and Gym Leaders and bosses had pathetically low levels and few Pokemon at all, and the Kanto sequence was awful.

I'm still holding out in support of GS.

-Pokémon games don't have much plot. What they do, is centered on the villain. While the villain of RB and GS weren,t too hot, they at least had the decency not to be entirely retarded. "We want to remove the water so there's more land to live in"? For crying out loud, even a five years old who has never gone to school would know that if this plan ever work, it means total extinction of every last living organism in the pokémon world.

Even the most demented, destructive Final Fantasy villains didn,t really come close to plans for that sort of xenocide.

-Lack of stuff to do late-game. Unlike with RB or GS, getting the legendaries is pretty easy ; there is no second league (unlike GS), and the Sky Pillar doesn,t even *begin* to compare with either The Unknown Dungeon or the Whirl Islands.

-Impossibility of completing the (non-secret) dex on release day. Until FRLG and Colosseum came out, you simply *could not* build a complete pokédex (excluding Mew, Celebii, etc) in RS. In GS and RB, you could - what was not in the game was in other, already available games.

I know several "competitive" battler also had complaints about some of the changes implemented in RS to the battle system.

-Pokémon games don't have much plot. What they do, is centered on the villain. While the villain of RB and GS weren,t too hot, they at least had the decency not to be entirely retarded. "We want to remove the water so there's more land to live in"? For crying out loud, even a five years old who has never gone to school would know that if this plan ever work, it means total extinction of every last living organism in the pokémon world.

The villains of GS weren't even given names. They were just random Rocket Execs who missed Giovanni.

-Lack of stuff to do late-game. Unlike with RB or GS, getting the legendaries is pretty easy ; there is no second league (unlike GS), and the Sky Pillar doesn,t even *begin* to compare with either The Unknown Dungeon or the Whirl Islands.

The second league in GS, was in reality, the second half of one League. The levels of the trainers there reflect this. The last Gym Leader in GSC, Blue's, actually has a team of the same level and power as Wallace does as a member of the Elite 4. Clair has a team of Pokemon that barely reach above Level 39, in contrast to Wallace and Giovanni's team of mid-40s.

They tried to stretch the difficulty curve of one region into two, thus making both watered down.

I know several "competitive" battler also had complaints about some of the changes implemented in RS to the battle system.

The GSC Pokemon didn't add a lot to the metagame, aside from Blissey and Skarmory which are still abused to this day.

They had no name but at least they had a relatively credible story.

Team Aqua and Team Magma don't even give suspension of disbelief a fighting chance.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom