• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP01: In the Shadow of Zekrom! ・ EP02: Enter Iris and Axew!

The hardest part for me was to get up early on a Saturday. :S

Since I see everyone giving a thumbs up on the dub, I like it so far myself. Actually, I'm pretty excited for the rest of the episodes. I pray that they don't make Dent sound bad. Oshawott's cute as BW! He's still my fav pokemon. The best part for me was that Iris didn't have a high pitched VA like in Best Wishes. (Watched the BW series you'll know what I'm talking about.)

I find TR's voice not really serious. It's like I can't take them seriously with their voices stuck on D/P mode. I think it's just me.

All in all, I give it a B+. :)

We just need to know who Cilan's VA is. Since Jamie McGonnigal is already taken, Christopher Niosi then?

I can't see him as a series regular. I didn't get too good a listen of the Pokedex but I don't think it's him, I honestly think Kirbopher's one of the Striaton trio. Either Chili or Cress.

And Musashi, your statements about the Rockets are exactly how I feel. I don't mind a Rhyme or two as long as they try, and yeah, the only thing that hampers it is their VAs.

Does anyone know who voiced Trip? He sounded like a deeper and less goofy Barry mixed with some Paul.

Also, even though I still think TR is OOC, at least I don't mind them being serious because that means I don't have to hear their awful English lines anymore XD

Does anyone know who voiced Trip? He sounded like a deeper and less goofy Barry mixed with some Paul.

Also, even though I still think TR is OOC, at least I don't mind them being serious because that means I don't have to hear their awful English lines anymore XD

Barry's voice. Basically, imagine Barry with a deeper, more serious tone and being a douche.

I can't see him as a series regular. I didn't get too good a listen of the Pokedex but I don't think it's him, I honestly think Kirbopher's one of the Striaton trio. Either Chili or Cress.
Yeah, since he's an inspiring animator and all, voicing a series regular would make his schedule extremely tight.

Yeah, since he's an inspiring animator and all, voicing a series regular would make his schedule extremely tight.

Exactly. It's nice to see him in official things, but he is a busy young man so, like I said, I'm betting on one of the brothers.

Heh, this thread gonna get A LOT of replies!

This was my first time actually watching most of BW's episodes, since you know...my shitty internet. But I really loved it, I mean I felt like I was watching a good and accurate dub of Pokemon. Like...it's being dubbed like a show in 2011, instead of 2001. Music, accurate scripts without shitty puns and alliteration:win.

I really like Ash and how funny he is here, a much more physical Ash than in DP. I loved seeing Who's That Pokemon, they're really serious about this "reminiscent of Kanto" this Gen aren't they? Iris was good, as was Axew.

And of course SRS TR was plenty fun. As I expected, I think Gio doesn't really care about Jessie, James, and Meowth. They're just bait to lure out Team Plasma. But hot damn if they aren't taking their job seriously (as are you Mr. Zoppi!).

Now time for a new segment called: Debunk the Crap I heard about BW!:

"Ash isn't 10"- He was always 10, no matter how stupid or illogical it is. I don't care what the dub said or how deep his voice got, he was 10 in Kanto, 10 in Johto, 10 in Hoenn, 10 in Sinnoh, and 10 in Unova. Anything else was wishful thinking or you believing what you wanted to believe.

"Trip is just Paul with green hair"- No, he's not. Paul treated his Pokemon like crap and went for all out power and hated Ash. Trip goes on about how Ash is from the Boonies and is kind of a hick, takes pictures of Pokemon he's never seen before for some reason, and treats his Pokemon with respect.

I'll be doing this in every BW review thread I can to "Debunk the Crap"

Great start TCiP, let's see you keep it up!

How does Axew sound? Similar to Piplup *shudder*? Kayzie Rogers is the VA btw. Since she voiced Totodile, I have some hope Axew doesn't have a high-pitched voice...

LOVE that Team Rocket didn't rhyme every 5 seconds. They actually kept the dialogue pretty close! Yessssss. And the motto! It's not horrible! Not horrible at all.

The only thing that I was really disappointed with was the opening. Don't like the song, and overall it just seemed really lazy.

Iris' voice is adorable. I don't know what I was really expecting, but I was really impressed with her :D

Overall, I really enjoyed watching these episodes again. I wouldn't say it was as good as the first time, but definitely close.

And...the return of Who's That Pokemon?! ;______;

Not like Piplup, but hasn't made me like it like I do the Japanese VA.

How does Axew sound? Similar to Piplup *shudder*? Kayzie Rogers is the VA btw. Since she voiced Totodile, I have some hope Axew doesn't have a high-pitched voice...

Axew does have a high pitched voice...dare I say, it's similar to Pip's :p

I didn't hear enough of it/remember, though. But I didn't think it was that bad. The closest comparison I could make is to dub Oshawott, but my auditory memory is probably failing me XD

Off-topic, but how does the airdate work in USA? Do people in NY see the episode at the same time as CA? At 9:00 AM and 6:00 AM?

Anyway, I wonder how Iris sounds in the dub?

Just watched both eppys and I think the new start is ok for now looking forward to. Seeing if there will be anything new about Zekrom.

Off-topic, but how does the airdate work in USA? Do people in NY see the episode at the same time as CA? At 9:00 AM and 6:00 AM?

Anyway, I wonder how Iris sounds in the dub?

No, on the west coast, it airs at 9AM for them, not live with the Eastern coast.

IIRC, the Central time zone airs it at the same time (8AM), but I'm not sure.

Ya know, I do wonder if Pikachu getting zapped by Zekrom was really just a way for Ash's lost to Trip seem less, well, like a loss.

....Super Saiyan Pikachu maybe?...Hmmm?

Sorry, anyway, fantastic dub really. Iris is adorable. Axew is a touch grading, but it's fine. Trip was kept perfectly in character unlike Paul in the beginning of DP.

Also, WHO'S THAT POKEMON? OH GOD I LOVE YOU TCPI!

This dub really outdoes itself, I was very impressed with the whole thing. I really hope this level of quality is the new standard for the entire dub.

Programming on Cartoon Network's western coast feed will air 3 hours after it was aired on the eastern coast feed.

For example, these two episodes of Pokemon: Best Wishes aired at 9:00 AM EST. Three hours later, it will be 12:00 PM EST (and 9:00 AM WST [Western coast]).

Pokemon Black and White will air at 9:00 AM in California (Western Coast Standard Time) but by that time the special had already finished airing 2 hours ago on the Eastern Coast.

Cartoon Network's eastern and western coast feeds do not air their programming at the same time. They are literally 3 hours apart from one another. Therefore, when Pokemon: Black and White does air in California at 9:00 AM, it will be 12:00 PM on the Eastern Coast.

Trust me, my TV package has both the eastern and western feeds of Cartoon Network included.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom