• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Height?

I don't care what PokéDex, games or such says. I see all the Pokémon as big or small as I'd like to, and it seriously has nothing to do with some official "prioritys". And yes, I do prefer the animé with these size facts. The way they show Pokémon to us is how I mostly think they look alike (excluding Arceus who's huge in my mind).

I think it might be a fact that they are very like animals and have a great variation in size.

I was amused once when I realized that Charizard is roughly just an inch or so taller than me, and I bet I'm as small as Ash (though I'm 33), yet Ash can easily be carried and looks much smaller than Charizard.

I prefer the games when it comes to height, especially the 3d games such as Colosseum,XD, and PBR. The anime made some pokemon either too big or too small, of course like some previous posters said, it could be size variances.

do keep in mind that the average Japanese person is quite a bit shorter than the average person of European descent. Trust me on this one.

Some of the Pokemon heights definitely do not make any sense. Take some of the new Pokemon from Pokemon Black and White for example..

Excadrill is so tiny. I thought it'd be at least 5 ft tall. Hydreigon is not that big either. Really makes the Pokemon less fearsome and powerful looking.

I go with the in-game heights. o.o I don't think it's that unusual. Plus, it's kinda cute in some senses. Arceus is shorter than Palkia and Dialga, at least in PBR. Haha, like how ones kids can become taller than them. 8D

Am I the only one who thought Torkoal was going to be massive before looking at the height comparison?

Well they are called Pocket Monsters. How the heck are you going to fit a 20,000 ft tall behemoth in your pocket?

I was amused once when I realized that Charizard is roughly just an inch or so taller than me, and I bet I'm as small as Ash (though I'm 33), yet Ash can easily be carried and looks much smaller than Charizard.
Ash is ten. And Japanese people is small. And anime tends to exaggerate size differences.

Am I the only one who thought Torkoal was going to be massive before looking at the height comparison?
Lol, I thought the same. Until I caught one and saw Pokédex comparison with a human.

But Wailord's weight is a major mistake. With that density it shouldn't even be able to submerge. Wailord should be about 100 times heavier. At least.
Well they are called Pocket Monsters. How the heck are you going to fit a 20,000 ft tall behemoth in your pocket?
Pokéballs say hi.... Wait, 20,000 ft?

Last edited:
I go with the in-game heights. o.o I don't think it's that unusual. Plus, it's kinda cute in some senses. Arceus is shorter than Palkia and Dialga, at least in PBR. Haha, like how ones kids can become taller than them. 8D

I don't understand..Aren't Palkia and Dialga supposed to be bigger than Arceus?

I know Arceus is big..but I can't see it being bigger than the Dragons.

Me too. I at least thought it was bigger than 2 feet.

Also Wiscash is tiny. I expected it to be a giant catfish. Not a shrimp.

Personally, since Pokemon are living creatures and all, I find having a specific height kind of silly, since they can range in sizes. I think a size range would be nice, like pikachu can range from 1-2 feet or something.

This is why I like the anime better for height references. After all, May's squirtle was ADORABLY TINY.

I've always thought the height was inaccurate, starting when I saw that Chikorita is supposedly 2 feet tall.

I go by the Anime on this one. The sizes just seem too far off on the pokedex. Noctowl are supposedly the size of a ten year old. They should fit nice and snug on the shoulder, like Ash's.

I go by the Anime on this one. The sizes just seem too far off on the pokedex. Noctowl are supposedly the size of a ten year old. They should fit nice and snug on the shoulder, like Ash's.
Except in the anime when it was first introduced, it was explicitly stated that Ash's Noctowl was not only shiny, but small for its size, and sitting beside a regular-sized Noctowl showed it to be the accurate game size.

Also Wiscash is tiny. I expected it to be a giant catfish. Not a shrimp.

2'11" long fish is not tiny. And what about it makes you think "giant catfish"?
Personally, since Pokemon are living creatures and all, I find having a specific height kind of silly, since they can range in sizes. I think a size range would be nice, like pikachu can range from 1-2 feet or something.
>_>

Who says its their specific heights? Honestly, its people that can't seem to comprehend the idea of an "average size" who couldn't conceive how a "full grown Snorlax" could come out of an egg, when clearly they aren't meant to be "full grown".

The games themselves have explicitly stated variable sizes whether in the dex-entries, or the various trainers who would measure the size of your Pokémon in an attempt to find the biggest of the species (GSC-Magikarp, RSE-Barboach, Shroomish, Seedot and Lotad depending on the game, FrLg-Heracross' horn)

I honestly don't understand where that notion that the dex entry sizes are set in stone for every individual of that species. I've personally caught a 5'2" Magikarp in Crystal.

But Wailord's weight is a major mistake. With that density it shouldn't even be able to submerge. Wailord should be about 100 times heavier. At least.
While its fail-biology, it is an awesome stealth-pun on the fact that it's a blimp.

Last edited:
I think the heights are pretty fine as they are. That's an interesting charm of Pokémon. Unlike every other Mons series, where the stronger creatures are humongous, most Pokémon are barely human sized even at their final forms. Few exceptions include the Legendaries and some other giants, but for the most part, it's interesting most of them are smaller than you would expect. I always liked that, myself.

Who says its their specific heights? Honestly, its people that can't seem to comprehend the idea of an "average size" who couldn't conceive how a "full grown Snorlax" could come out of an egg, when clearly they aren't meant to be "full grown".

The games themselves have explicitly stated variable sizes whether in the dex-entries, or the various trainers who would measure the size of your Pokémon in an attempt to find the biggest of the species (GSC-Magikarp, RSE-Barboach, Shroomish, Seedot and Lotad depending on the game, FrLg-Heracross' horn)

I honestly don't understand where that notion that the dex entry sizes are set in stone for every individual of that species. I've personally caught a 5'2" Magikarp in Crystal.

Oh, average size...don't I feel silly.

I can't believe how big arceus is.

First time I saw it, I thought it was the size of a horse!

Unbelievable!

The HGSS walking sprite does NOT help.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom