• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon Discussion

Which flying pokemon in B/W do you prefer?

• Unfezant

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Swoobat

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Sigllyph

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Archeops

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Swanna

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Braviary

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • Mandibuzz

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Pfffft, i'll use a legendary.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • No.

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really like Oshawott's evolutionary line. I'm glad I'm choosing him as my starter.

Saw a link to a German fan-site on Filb that recently interviewed Masuda.

If I'm reading it right, he says that Haxorus was the first Pokemon developed for Black and White.

I always knew there was something special about Haxorus. I felt that it was one of the first pokemon designed for this gen.

It's good to hear that it turned out to be true.

Lilligent is probably the best Grass type in-game despite the shallow offensive move-pool, mostly because it can get Sleep power, Leech Seed, and the rarely seen Butterfly Dance at low levels.

Lilligent is proof that a good strategy prevails over a large movepool.

It was a good thing GF gave what should be a butterfly/moth- exclusive stat booster to a pokemon who really needed it.

Lilligent is proof that a good strategy prevails over a large movepool.

It was a good thing GF gave what should be a butterfly/moth- exclusive stat booster to a pokemon who really needed it.
Wobbuffet was proof of that >_>

Besides, it only has grass attacks for the most part. In-game, anything could be good.

^ Grass attacks and Hidden Power. Besides, its support movepool gives it great options (like Sleep Powder) to make it effective, even helping it set up. Of course, since its best coverage option is HP Fire, you might want to stay away from Fire-types unless you have a LOT of setup (which isn't too likely).

Well Lilligent can also learn Dream Eater, but that move is very iffy both typing and reliability wise.

^ What? I didn't know it could do that!

But it won't be useful. One, Psychic is a bad offensive type, especially without STAB. Two, even with the new sleep mechanic, people are still very liable to switch, so they'll thwart Dream Eater even if they don't expect it (which they almost certainly won't, at least).

Well Lilligent can also learn Dream Eater, but that move is very iffy both typing and reliability wise.

I hate to do this, but it's Lilligant. Sorry to nitpick! D:

What ever happened to Mienshao? It was popular, but now I don't see any mentions of that Pokemon. I really like it, it's my favorite fighting type Pokemon. :D

I hate to do this, but it's Lilligant. Sorry to nitpick! D:

What ever happened to Mienshao? It was popular, but now I don't see any mentions of that Pokemon. I really like it, it's my favorite fighting type Pokemon. :D

maybe it just got all talked out. I guess people just got tired of it. It's still my favorite though.

Yeah, Mienshao's pretty cool. Great Attack and Speed, and the ability Regenerator? Definitely an excellent user of the Life Orb!

Since it can learn Drain Punch, there's no doubt it'll learn the Elemental Punches by Move Tutor in the third version. (It will happen. It happened with Emerald and Platinum, so why would it stop here?) That'll really help it, especially Ice Punch.

I think Emonga shouls get an evolution:banghead:

emonga is this generations electric rodent. pachirisu, minun/plusle haven't got a evo so why should he.

the only exception to this is pikachu, but hes the franchise mascot

■The fighting trio is based on the three muskateers
■Cobalion‘s based on Athos and is meant to have a thorny look
■Terrakion is based off of Porthos and has some angles reminiscent of a hatchet. Supposed to look like a formidable opponent who can stop a pokemon in its tracks.
■Virizion is based on Aramis and was modeled to be nimble and have sharp angles
■Larvesta is partially based on Taiyou No Tou (specifically the red adornments jutting out of its head)
■Volcarona originally had only 4 wings and the black spots represent dark spots on the sun
■Cottonee and Whimsicott were based on sheep
■Petilil and Lilligant were actually slated to have another pokemon in their evolutionary family, but that plan was scrapped. Lilligant is like a pretty daughter who’s always too late.
■Haxorus was one of the first designs to be finished and they were fairly proud of it. It can attack simply by shaking its head.
■Darumaka and Darmanitan were inspired after the designer saw dharma dolls being burned at a festival. They kind of resembled a gorilla so that’s how the fire/monkey parts came into the pokemon.
■Stunfisk was originally designed with an Angler Fish in mind, but obviously turned out a bit different. It was also a water/electric type but they ended up making it a ground/electric to balance out the type spread of pokemon.
■Frillish and Jellicent had the ghost type added on at the end for the sake of adjusting what types Unova had which disappointed the designer.
■Sawsbuck was already an idea for a pokemon before seasons had been added into the game
■Litwick, Lampent, and Chandelure were originally designed when they wanted an evolutionary line based on an open flame -> candle -> lanturn, but obviously it ended up out of order.
■Seismitoad was designed before Tympole and Palpitoad. The protrusions are one of this evolutionary line’s features.
■Klink, Klang, Klinklang were sort of inspired by Dugtrio
■Dwebble and Krustle were sort of inspired by kiln-fired pottery
■Scraggy and Scrafty obviously owe their existence to the low and baggy jean trend and also are reminiscent of a snake with its shed skin
■Yamask and Cofagrigus were meant to look scary, but also have a certain charm
■Pawniard and Bisharp are urban pokemon. Bisharp commands Pawniard who clings to its foes and cuts them with the blades on its stomach

Did you guys see this yet? Hmm so their was originally a Pokemon between Petlili and Liligant makes sense since Petlili goes through such a change when it evolves.

I find it very interesting that some pokemon's types came to be because Game Freak wanted to balance them out this time.

Now I see why Maggyo is a Ground/Electric type (as opposed to the expected Water/Electric type). Ground is one of the worst types defensively in the entire game, though. Adding on the Electric type only added another weakness to it. Maggyo in total has four weaknesses, four resistances, and one immunity.

As opposed to a Water/Electric type which only has two weaknesses and five resistances...

Meh decision.

Up until this point, it made absolutely no sense that Pururiru's line was Water/Ghost as well.

Since we've had an abundance of Dark-types in this gen, now I see why Blitzle and Zebstrika are pure Electric-types.

Why Dugtrio? I don't see the resemblance.

Three gears = three mole heads.

As stated above, the Kling line could also have inspiration from Magneton.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom