• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your reaction on the way writers treat past charathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For main cast members, I'm not too bothered. I feel they all wore out their welcome and lost what made them fun anyway, some more than others. So if they appear again, I'll have a 'say, that's kinda cool' moment, and then move on to being more concerned with what's going to happen next time, on Dragonball Z Pokemon InsertSeriesHere.

But when they do stuff like, say, bring back Torkoal just to get OHKO'd or Cyndaquil to pull the ol' 'evolve n' get-a-shit-battle', then yeah, that kinda irks me.

Doesn't bother me either. Only way to have quality trainers and Pokemon is if they're doing some sort of promotion for the games or the episode itself is exciting.

I'm obviously pissed at the makers giving these crappy results, but whatever. Watch it once, never watch again (except for a handful of personal favorites).

I think the Japanese writers are quite cold and heartless when it comes to old characters. They're just disposed of. Everything now seems to just be about selling the games and the only characters that appear are something to do with the games. This wasn't so prevalent in the original series, the original series was its own show, but then the writers got lazy and decided to make the tv show into the game, but on tv instead of DS. All the weird and wonderful stuff in the anime has gone. Team Rockets songs, Sabrina turning people into dolls. The Gastly that transformed into Venastoise, I just miss silly stuff like that.

I think they should do another Series like Pokemon Chronicles, where older fans can see all their old favourite characters off on their own adventures while newer fans, will just see it as a Pokemon Spin off.

I don't want Tracey, Gary, Brock and Misty to disappear forever. Oh and bring back Ritchie he was cool, and if he was truly Ash's double, then he'd still be going around the regions too, a reunion between Ash and Ritchie is long over due.

They have to mention Kanto since that's where Ash lives and where Delia/Oak are from. They don't mention anything else.

Doesnt mean they wont.Fact that past saga is being referenced serves as testament how connection to past still exists.

We did not see Ash leave behind his DP team, we did not see TR leave behind their old Pokemon.

We did not even see Tracey or Mr. Mime, who have ALWAYS been at Pallet all the other times.

Reason is because there wasnt time for it.Ash has stopped at Pallet town for only 10 to 15 minutes.Having any older character showed for such short interval would be pointless.Yes even Tracey.

The fact that they are even doing that says al ot.

They just want to portray Best Wishes as very isolated region trying to incorporate fresh start kind of vibe into this show trying to stray away abit from usual formula which they folowed since Hoenn.That explains why contests stopped being showcased with gym leaders being choosed over game protagoinists this time around.

That doesnt mean how past and its characters will be erased with referenes still being provided.This show is still acting lik on big comntinuity meaning how previous characters have chance to return.

We cant know for sure what will happen.

I don't care, tbh. :/

Well i do,finding oilder characters who left entertaining having left things which they could offer.

I don't want Tracey, Gary, Brock and Misty to disappear forever.

Tracey and Gary were barely in the anime to begin with.

Misty was a short-lived character in the show to begin with, leaving the franchise only 5 years into its history. We're now in Season 14.

Brock was the only one that lasted a long time, but it seems his Japanese VA is done with Pokemon, so who knows.

Wow, it felt like Misty was there forever. A lot longer than just 5 years. My favourite lineup is still the original gang of Ash, Misty and Brock.

Wow, it felt like Misty was there forever.

How did it feel like Misty was there forever? I know Johto dragged on with the endless fillers, but Johto was only 3 years.

Misty left the series way back in 2002, we're now in 2011. She hasn't been part of the show for almost 10 years.

How did it feel like Misty was there forever? I know Johto dragged on with the endless fillers, but Johto was only 3 years.

Misty left the series way back in 2002, we're now in 2011. She hasn't been part of the show for almost 10 years.

now you say what people can or can't feel?
He/She said he/she felt Misty was there forever, he/she didn;t state it as a fact:banghead:

I know that. But people seem to think that Misty (or the original trio in general), was used longer than it really was.

Brock was in most of the series, and Brock lasted in the show a very long time. Misty did not. Brock's literally in double the amount of episodes Misty was in.

I know that. But people seem to think that Misty (or the original trio in general), was used longer than it really was.

Brock was in most of the series, and Brock lasted in the show a very long time. Misty did not. Brock's literally in double the amount of episodes Misty was in.

1) So, i don't care about it, that's what They think, not me, you should do the same, no point in being worked up by that

2) we know, but the original trio seems to have a bigger impression on most people

There's no harm in that. Its just best to give people the statistical facts of a characters run in the series, so they don't think things that didn't happen.

I assume the reason people think the original trio was used for a long time is because of how long Johto went on for.

Hey look its this thread again

I'm really gettin into the feel of BW right now. AND I rly don't miss Dawn, and Brock. Both in their prime did wonders, but now they are garbage and they were disposed, rightfully. As for May, Max, Misty, and Tracey, dats another story

Though Misty, Brock, and to a lesser extent, Max, could have been handled better, I think what they received was okay. Misty should have expanded on her Water Pokémon master goal better by having more battles, Brock should have left the show earlier or acquired the doctor goal before the end of his run, and Max...well not much could have been done to improve his character since he didn't own any Pokémon. They should have made him more interesting in BF is all I gotta say.

May and Dawn were handled quite well. May's contest arc should have been more believable, however, and she should have used more combinations. I did like the character development she received, though. Dawn's contest arc was done well, but her rivals could have used some work. I also enjoyed her character development.

Gary should have been a better rival in Kanto and Johto. He should have made more appearances and motivated Ash more through battle. His return in Sinnoh was nice, but even then he received minimal screen time and accomplished little.

Jessiebelle returning, in my opinion, was a treat for the fans who've been watching since the beginning. What were the chances of any new fan having a clue who Jessiebelle was prior to the DP episode in which she appeared? I agree, though, that her comeback should have done a better job showcasing her extreme personality.

In the end, all characters have had their ups and downs. Most of the poor writing in Kanto and Johto was due to the writers' lack of experience, which I completely understand. I fully believe that if they had the chance to go back in time and fix all the mistakes they made regarding the characters, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

However, these characters are in the past, and we should look forward to what new characters can bring to the table. The show is in a constant flow of change, so be sure you're ready to accept whatever the writers throw at us.

Puppetter I agree and disagree on the writing. I think the current writers are better in that the series seems more planned, and it's obvious theres a long term plan going, unlike what happened with the GS Ball. But in the original series, the episodes were much more versatile and unexpected. It was fun and wacky. (Venustoise, Psychic powers turning people into dolls, the Team Rocket song from the voice of jigglypuff ep)

Now I mostly see things and I think, wait, that's just ... redone. Like Sandile and the sunglasses is based off Squirtle's Glasses, the episode in DP with Pikachu not wanting to evolve with the Thunderstone being a direct rip from the one in Kanto. The writers don't think of anything original nowdays, they just take everything from the game, or from the old series.

Actually, yes, this is one of the things in the anime that pisses me off. I can understand promoting the new characters and Pokemon, that's common practice, but still show progress on some of the older characters once in a while. Show how they're doing, finish how their journeys went, show some kind of communacation between them & Ash via video phone. It's not that difficult, that would please many fans IMO. See how Misty's doing, May, Dawn, Paul, Richie, Max, Brock etc. I know they showed a DP special with Brock & Dawn recently, but that left more questions then answers. Dawn is going to Hoenn, and I'd bet top dollar, that we'll never see, or hear from her again. Brock, I really don't remember what he's doing, I think training to be a Pokemon doctor?

But that's my point, they write them off, and don't show the progress of how they're doing on their new journeys. I'd love to see if May won the Johto Grand Festival like she was rumored to, I'd love to see that Max vs Ash battle, but as I said about Dawn & Brock, we'll never see them again.

I am glad they're severing all ties with the older cast. I agree with Grave-E, they've all run their course.

Of course if I had my way this would be the end for Ash too, so here's hoping.

I am glad they're severing all ties with the older cast. I agree with Grave-E, they've all run their course.

Of course if I had my way this would be the end for Ash too, so here's hoping.

People will have opinions, it's not a big deal. I also think she was there a long time. No big deal as to your comment about Best Wishes! being a reboot *Shudders* it is not, that's a fact.
tumblr_l8zckjqATx1qclarso1_400.jpg

1.Twinleaf Tournament Trophy
2.May/Haruka's Teddiursa Charm
3.The Summer School Documents
4.The Soothe Bell
5.Bibarel's Headband
6.Pikachu's Moveset
7.Delia/Hanako
8.Orchird/Oak

He didn't just get Pikachu from Oak/Orchird. He also said he'd watch the other Pokemon if it's a reboot he shouldnt have any Pokemon at all. He mentions he caught his first "Unova Pokemon" if this is a reboot that should be his "First" Pokemon not his first "Unova Pokemon".

Pokemon Sunday is pretty big solid Proof this aint a reboot.
About that comment I don't see that happening since GameFreak's, Nintendo, and TV Tokyo are making to much money off him.

About old characters I see what there doing they have to star the stars of the region to sale stuff and will bring older characters back when theyre ready.

Hate the way that they tend to treat the older characters but I fully believe that we'll see...Most of them again. Personally I don't see ths as a reboot and I don't think its gonna be the final season so they'll appear in this region or the one after. If they ALL appear, Then I think that'll be a nod to the fans that the shows going to be ending soon. Again though I don't see them all appearing.

Out of all the characters these are the ones that I think we should see/hear from in Unova:
1)Gary- We might not however as he's been known to disappear then reappear more than any other character. And he ALWAYS reappears.
2)Misty-It didn't feel like it during sinnoh, but its starting to set in that its been too long since she last appeared. I know it was Hoenn, but its still been a while.
3)Ritchie-If he really was a clone of Ash then he should still be travelling the regions too. He was(I think) the first rival to defeat Ash. They are LONG overdue for a rematch.
4)Harrison(Don't think thats right). The guy Ash lost to in the SILVER CONFERENCE. The one with the Blaziken. He basically kicked off the Hoenn generation and he said he was gonna travel Kanto after. It'll be good to see what he's doing now.
5)Dawn-Would just be good to see how she's doing.

Somebody mentioned that Misty was only on the show for 5 years. To the majority of the old fans that doesn't mean anything. If she was only there for 5 years then it might as well have been a lifetime, because thats how long it felt like.

I was really shocked to see Misty not return when HG/SS first came out. IMO it was her prime chance to make a cameo. It almost seems the writers are slowly trying to write off the old characters. Misty got nothing but a lure, Tracy is gone, Dawn and Brock got specials not related to the actual story. Hell even some old pokemon like Charizard and Bulbasuar haven't been seen for a while. Even though i wouldn't call this a complete "reboot" it seems to slowly being headed into that direction.

I think the only cameo that we might see is from May, not because of plot purposes but the link to R/S/E and it's possible remakes. Then again Misty didn't get one so who knows. Dawn going to Hoenn might get a very small cameo but just like May, its a huge maybe.

I think the only cameo that we might see is from May, not because of plot purposes but the link to R/S/E and it's possible remakes. Then again Misty didn't get one so who knows. Dawn going to Hoenn might get a very small cameo but just like May, its a huge maybe.

I have my doubts about this since I heard that her Japanese voice actress apparently left voice acting entirely. I'm not positive, but this would be a definite end to future appearences outside of silent cameos (if this actually happened).

But yeah, I honestly don't expect any real continuity from the Pokémon anime, considering that it's always been aimed primarly at children and they don't care at all about storylines that happened likely before they were even born. Pokémon has always been about the present, the here and now, rather then being tied down to the past (Unlike the fandom, which is too obsessed with the past, far far far too obsessed...)

Jessiebel's appearence was a complete surprise, but I guess they needed to bring up James's past and motivation of why he's in Team Rocket. I also find it a tad unbelieveable that people expected her to bring out the bondage gear in this day and age. Pokémon's tone is completely different to what it was 14 or so years ago, and while they can get away with adult jokes in children's materal in Japan, the same thing isn't going to fly here unless it's specifically for an older audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom