• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon via Masuda method

Status
Not open for further replies.
when RNGing it gives you 2 outputs depending on whether you choose "Normal" or "International" which effectively shows you the inner workings of the Masuda Method - so we're talking about both

(keep in mind i only tried it with both parents being foreign twice - i may have fudged the taps both times but i doubt it)

anyway do you have a link?

Hrrm... well if that's true, then I guess any of the sources I could site wouldn't really matter. I guess I was simply confused over syntax. In every place I've read it, they only said that as long as the two pokemon were different languages, it would work. Not that one had to be the same as the cartridge you're using.

Anyway, I can't go and site anything cause... it's actually hard to find anyone saying something authoritative on it or explicitly stating "only one can be foreign" or "as long as they're different language." My conclusion was mostly based on people saying they just had to be different. So I guess I don't have a link. I simply answered the question using what has been previously stated, and not explicitly refuted, in the topic. Perhaps I just misread it.

Also, I supposed I'd actually like if you described the process you used to determine this, it has to only be one foreign pokemon thing. Over PM, though, as this topic is more about actually getting pokemon from Masuda and not the intricacies of it.

So, sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: After a little more searching, here's a link that basically describes what I've usually read.
How To Hatch Shinies EASILY via Junichi Masuda Method (YouTube)
The description is what I've typically thought, which is that the game only checks the nationalities of the pokemon in the breeding, not the cartridge. So as long as they're different (English/Japanese, Japanese/German), the method works.

Last edited:
Holy crap, after watching cc's Okami video on youtube my shiny Chikorit finally hatched. Took 800 eggs but its really worth it, its male though but I dont care. I nicknamed him Spongebob because I am wearing my spongebob hat right now :p

i read something interesting for you guys here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3371305&postcount=682

There is, without a doubt, no difference in wild shiny rate. No PIDs are being modified to create an artificially higher shiny rate.

The only difference in shiny rate is in breeding with international parents (aka the "Masuda method"), which is now 6\8192 instead of 4\8192.

previous shiny rate was 1/2048
black/white shiny rate is 1/~1365

enjoy! :)

I have a question. I'm trying to hatch a shiny Roselia (only filled half a box so far) and I'm really impatient so I have a slugma on my team so the hatching will take shorter. If I had two slugma would the hatching time be brought down a quarter or would it still just half down?

Basically, Does flame body/magma armor stack?

I have a question. I'm trying to hatch a shiny Roselia (only filled half a box so far) and I'm really impatient so I have a slugma on my team so the hatching will take shorter. If I had two slugma would the hatching time be brought down a quarter or would it still just half down?

Basically, Does flame body/magma armor stack?

i thought it stacked & used to use 2 but apparently it doesn't - i tested with the step counter app & it's true they don't stack (also the position in the party doesn't matter either)

Will it work if I just collect 5 eggs, hatch them, then sr my game? I'd really like a shiny croagunk. Thanks!

Edit: I save my game THEN get the eggs and sr, so I haven't received the eggs yet.

Last edited:
i find the quickest way to be get 5 eggs then as 1 hatches just release it via your pc (or keep if wanted) then collect the next egg - i wouldn't bother SRing at all

damn feebas, ive filled up so many boxes with you...hatch into a shiny already!
ive gotta try out that BW. thanks for the info :D

I'm trying for a shiny Ponyta. Why do eggs have to take so long to hatch?

Have you tried having a pokemon with flame body in your party while hatching? If memory serves, it makes egg hatch faster, though I could be mistaken.

Currently trying for a shiny Audino on white. I must be up to 200 eggs or so by now, but still going strong!

Also, has anyone experienced the length of time between eggs increasing? When I started it was one to three laps up and down the strip outside daycare. But now it's taking 15+ laps to get a egg. Maybe it's just bad luck but have anyone else had this happen?

Last edited:
Currently using the Masuda method on Soul Silver, I'm trying to get a shiny Vulpix! I've hatched 475 Vulpix so far, and I won't stop until i get my shiny.

I got my Shiny Feebas from the third egg. The father was a shiny Stunfisk that I caught in the wild by pure luck, the mother was a Japanese Feebas. Not sure if having one parent being shiny has any effect anymore... But I'm going to LOVE my shiny Milotic once I evolve it.

Woah woah woah, hold on, so, your say that chances of a shiny hatching in B/W via Masuda Method is 1/1365?!?!!!

that's correct - that guy in the quote is a mod at smogon & they are pretty hardcore when it comes to game data so i'd say it's true

i gave up SRing for a shiny starter after reading that - i'll hatch one at a later date & rely on either a random encounter shiny or a SR'd shiny legend to get my SID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom