• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Snivy vs Mudkip

Alright, keeping in mind that I voted for Snivy, I have to say that Swampert is clearly the better Pokemon. One weakness, resistance to Stealth Rock, actual good stats, Water typing, Ground typing and actual good stats are but some of the things Swampert has over Serperior.

Really, the only thing Serperior has going for her are bucketloads coolness in looks and (the as of yet unreleased) Perversity/Antagonist/Contrarian/whatever-the-hell-it's-called-this-week mixed with Leaf Storm. The other Grass Starters outperform it in almost every fashion imaginable. Conversely, Swampert is considered to be by far the best of the Water Starters.

Snivy's still cooler tho. :p

Contrary is the English name of Antagonist/Devil's Advocate.

P.S : DEVIL'S ADVOCATE ? SERPERIOR IS THE DEVIL ? 0_0

Nope, she just advocates for him ;)

Oh , Ok :) .

Also , doesn't Serperior has Glare over others Leech Seeders?

Sub seed and phazing are the best thing Serperior can do .

Of course Swampert is stronger than Serperior(although Serperior would easily win) , I mean , Swampert has the highest BST of all the FULLY evolved starters , while Serperior's BST is the same as Samurott and Emboar . The only FULLY evolved Grass starter that has a BST total higher than Serp(528) , is Sceptile(530) . Because of this , Serperior's BST is in the middle of the Grass starters .

Oh , Ok :) .

Also , doesn't Serperior has Glare over others Leech Seeders?

Sub seed and phazing are the best thing Serperior can do .

Of course Swampert is stronger than Serperior(although Serperior would easily win) , I mean , Swampert has the highest BST of all the FULLY evolved starters , while Serperior's BST is the same as Samurott and Emboar . The only FULLY evolved Grass starter that has a BST total higher than Serp(528) , is Sceptile(530) . Because of this , Serperior's BST is in the middle of the Grass starters .

BST doesn't matter. It's Base stat distribution (as well as movepool and ability) that counts. Just look at Scizor, Aerodactyl, Breloom, Roserade and Bronzong for examples of excellent (OU as of gen 4) Pokemon with a lower BST than any of the Starters.

Fact is that Serperior's distribution leaves a lot to be desired whereas Swampert's is top notch. Similarly, Serperior's movepool is downright awful where Swampert's is excellent for what it wants to do. The flipside is that Serperior's ability is fantastic while Swampert's is...mediocre. This doesn't offset the fact that Swampert has more pros than cons and certainly more pros than Serperior.

Yes, Serperior has Glare over other Leech Seeders, but other leech seeders have Sleep Powder/Spore, Sludge Bomb/X-Scissor/Air Slash... you get the point. Glare is a fantastic boon, and in combination with Contrary it makes Serperior a top notch Seeder, but it still faces competition from Venusaur (better typing, Sleep Powder, better Sp. Def, Sludge Bomb) and Sceptile (faster, better offensive stats, X-Scissor.) Even Meganium is technically bulkier than Serperior (in my opinion, the two are neck and neck in usefulness. This, from me, is a compliment because I really love Meganium and think she's much more useful than most people give her credit for.) I'm not even going to get started on the other, non-starter, seeders because I could be here all night and that's bordering on off-topic.

Suffice it to say that Serperior is a great niche Pokemon, but outside of fullfilling its particular niches, there's always a better Grass type out there.

The same cannot be said for Swampert, who is clearly the best Water Starter, the best Water/Ground (due to considerably higher HP/Defense/Attack than the others, all of whom attempt to emulate his stat distribution but do so less effectively,) an excellent lead with Stealth Rock, has a great type combination that provides it with two strong STAB attacks and only one weakness (to a type that is, sadly, not often seen.) It is enough of a threat that some people will place a Grass type attack on their Pokemon for the sole purpose of countering Swampert. That's a testament on how strong it really is.

Personally though, I think Swampert looks quite stupid while Serperior is the very embodiment of badass (along with all the other Grass Starters) so I'll choose Serperior over Swampert any day, even in competition.

BST doesn't matter. It's Base stat distribution (as well as movepool and ability) that counts. Just look at Scizor, Aerodactyl, Breloom, Roserade and Bronzong for examples of excellent (OU as of gen 4) Pokemon with a lower BST than any of the Starters.

Fact is that Serperior's distribution leaves a lot to be desired whereas Swampert's is top notch. Similarly, Serperior's movepool is downright awful where Swampert's is excellent for what it wants to do. The flipside is that Serperior's ability is fantastic while Swampert's is...mediocre. This doesn't offset the fact that Swampert has more pros than cons and certainly more pros than Serperior.

Yes, Serperior has Glare over other Leech Seeders, but other leech seeders have Sleep Powder/Spore, Sludge Bomb/X-Scissor/Air Slash... you get the point. Glare is a fantastic boon, and in combination with Contrary it makes Serperior a top notch Seeder, but it still faces competition from Venusaur (better typing, Sleep Powder, better Sp. Def, Sludge Bomb) and Sceptile (faster, better offensive stats, X-Scissor.) Even Meganium is technically bulkier than Serperior (in my opinion, the two are neck and neck in usefulness. This, from me, is a compliment because I really love Meganium and think she's much more useful than most people give her credit for.) I'm not even going to get started on the other, non-starter, seeders because I could be here all night and that's bordering on off-topic.

Suffice it to say that Serperior is a great niche Pokemon, but outside of fullfilling its particular niches, there's always a better Grass type out there.

The same cannot be said for Swampert, who is clearly the best Water Starter, the best Water/Ground (due to considerably higher HP/Defense/Attack than the others, all of whom attempt to emulate his stat distribution but do so less effectively,) an excellent lead with Stealth Rock, has a great type combination that provides it with two strong STAB attacks and only one weakness (to a type that is, sadly, not often seen.) It is enough of a threat that some people will place a Grass type attack on their Pokemon for the sole purpose of countering Swampert. That's a testament on how strong it really is.

Personally though, I think Swampert looks quite stupid while Serperior is the very embodiment of badass (along with all the other Grass Starters) so I'll choose Serperior over Swampert any day, even in competition.

Yeah , Scizor's BST is lower than all starters , but he is great anyway.

Sadly but true , Serperior has a shallow moveset and the fact that she(along with Samurott) can't learn Earthquake like the other starters(Swampert and Torterra learn it by level up) can , therefore adding insult to injury(good job gamefreak >_<) . All I can hope is that she gets a moveset upgrade in the future ...

Typing-wise , Swampert wins since he only has one weakness and Serperior is a pure-type like Sceptile and Meganium.

Hidden ability , Serperior wins , because her ability is beneficial , unlike Swampert's Damp , which is useless , especially with the nerfed Self-Destruct and Explosion ..

I prefer Serperior's design to Swampert's ... Serperior looks much better , another reason why I prefer Snivy to Mudkip .

Who looks best?
Snivy
Who has the better internet meme?
Mudkip (classic)
Who is more awesome?
Snivy
Who is your favorite?
Snivy

Plus I can always confuse my Internet meme knowing friend with Smugleaf lol

Who looks best? Snivy

Who has the better internet meme? Mudkip

Who is more awesome? Snivy

Who is your favorite? Snivy

Smuggy wins this round. U mad?

Mine is:
If Snivy:
For Year of the Snake in Chinese Zodiac (2013's coming so Snivy could resembles Year of the Snake of Gen V). Design's good (looks better than Mudkip), and can be considered a mortal enemy to Tepig. Solid Snake of Pokémon (due to Oshawott's name sounds like Ocelot) if Metal Gear series got references to Pokémon franchise.

If Mudkip:
Mudkip does better than Snivy in terms of their evo's typing (Marshtomp and Swampert are part Water/Ground-type but Servine and Serperior are pure Grass-type, sadly because Snivy evo lines doesn't gain Poison-type, a trait for snake-based Pokémon like Ekans/Arbok and Seviper).

My preferrences:
*I prefer starter Pokémon that gains secondary type when evolves, instead of entirely single-type Pokémon throughout evolutions. (Mudkip wins this)
*I like all Pokémon generations especially Gen III and V. (Draw)
*I like blue colors most. (Mudkip wins this)
*Generation V does better than some past generations. (Snivy wins this)
*All Gen V starters can breed together. (Snivy wins this)

Other:
Mudkip is technically the best water-type starter Pokémon (looks like a futuristic mecha/fish/ninja whatchamacallits thing), while Snivy does best among Grass-type starter Pokémon (better than Treecko, which looks like Yoshi of Mario series), in terms of design.

Result: Draw.

YO YO YO I LIEK MUDKIPZ AND HERE'Z A BUNDLE; :cool:
! SO GET UP TO MUDKIPZ

who is the best meme? MUDKIPZ CUZ I LIEK DEM
who is the better starter? MUDKIP CAN LEARN ICE BEAM
who is dumber? SMUGLEAF, SORRY SNIVY, ICE BEATS GRASS. U MAD?
who is my favorite? SIMPLE, MUDKIPZ. :LOL:

Mudkip. Whenever I look at Snivy, I only remember the disappointment I felt when Serperior's pure Grass typing was revealed. :<

Like them both, but Mudkip is cuter, and Swampert has a better movepool and typing.

Snivy is way cuter imo, I also like the smug memes associated with it more compared to Mudkip's memes. Also, I just never liked Mudkip and it's line in general, not as appealing and kind of uncanny to me.

Mudkip. I like Swampert more than Serperior, an despite all the hype around Contrary, Serperior's best niche is still just being annoying with SubSeed and Glare. (Mega) Swampert on the other hand is a powerful rain sweeper and a Pokémon that in general embodies Bulky Offense.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom