• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TR vs TR

Which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Neither. Both of them are unbelievably incompetant. Anyone who uses Rattata in serious battles deserves whatever ass kicking that comes there way.

Giovanni is the only reason old TR wins. He is cool but the rest are morons.

This isn't some quick fix. They'd have to make entirely new scenes. With all the planning this show has shown it can do, why is it so hard to believe the writers planned this? Did everyone think we'd never get any explanation for what happened?

And what exactly will happen when Plasma comes back? They'll just fight them as their goofy selves?
Well, this is what happens when two major episodes get skipped. Maybe this was foreshadowed or something better in BW023 and BW024.

They said they were interested in Pikachu at the very beginning of BW.

Um, yes. They did it with Magma, Aqua, and Galactic, so no reason they can't do it here. We don't even know what happend to Plasma in those two episodes. They could be gone like Giovanni. The situation with Giovanni could be like G/S/C where they're looking for him, but they never ever find him. TR is officially disbanded, at least for now, and it's not hard to think that JJM would continue on indefinitely because their pride in TR would keep them motivated toward their goal to capture Pikachu. Giovanni could be BW's GS Ball.

And it's still not hard to fathom that this could be a quick fix. Again, the main part of this episode was Ash's battle which TR didn't interrupt. They have a relatively small scene that could easily be re-written

TR is officially disbanded, at least for now, and it's not hard to think that JJM would continue on indefinitely because their pride in TR would keep them motivated toward their goal to capture Pikachu. Giovanni could be BW's GS Ball.

I think we should wait for next week's episode to see what the deal is with that. There's a good chance Sakaki and his secretary are in it.

Tew TR. They're much cooler, wear dark clothes (and as any goth or scenester can tell you, wearing dark clothing makes you KeWl) have great getaways, and are competent when not chasing Ash.

Old TR had amazing dialogue durign the 4Kids dub. With the new dub, I don't even know what they're talking about. With the new TR, it'll be hard to screw them up. Even more.

You guys don't honestly think that they changed them back to white mode because of fan reaction do you? That's just dumb. This was clearly planned out.

Also, unless you're going to tell me that all the Japanese children said "I miss the old Team Rocket" and have some actual proof of that, I'm sticking with the "they were going to change them back at this point anyway.

I like both fine, but using them for a crutch so they don't have to write as hard for them like they're fucking Brock in DP is just awful no matter how they act.

I hope to God the writers realize that and keep TR scenes to a minimum and only there when necessary.

It's kind of a mixed bag imo.
First and foremost, old goofy Team Rocket decimates their portrayl during the first twenty odd episodes of Best Wishes. They actually had some semblence of personallity and I cared about them as characters because of that, so it's really no contest.

On the other hand, it was great to see them NOT shoe-horned into every freaking episode just to pad things out when the writers had no idea on how to wrap up a plot or even just keep it chugging along. True, a lot of the briefcase stuff was a bit pointless, but otherwise, it was nowhere near as intrusive as them ballooning in or rolling up in a mech halfway into the episode.
It was also really cool to see them doing stuff other than trying to catch X pokemon and not interacting with the main characters in ages.

I think either version over the long term can be pretty grating. But if they could find a balance between the two, things would be perfect imo.

Musashi said:
You and others have been hoping there was some explanation for why they were suddenly serious. Well, it looks like this is it.

If this is the explanation - that they were being boring and lifeless because they were trying to impress Sakaki - then they did a piss poor job of it.

Acting serious when they're around their boss or other members of the Rocket-Dan is one thing. They've always done that. Acting serious when they're *not* around their boss or other members of the Rocket-Dan, on the other hand, is something else. As soon as the phone calls to headquarters or whatever were over, they would always go back to being their true selves. Why wouldn't they?

The trio was in "professional mode" 24/7, and that's a stark contrast to who they were before Best Wishes! started. A change that drastic requires a better explanation than "they wanted to impress their boss."

Did everyone think we'd never get any explanation for what happened?

Honestly? Yes.

garfield15 said:
You guys don't honestly think that they changed them back to white mode because of fan reaction do you? That's just dumb.

Of course. Because there's no way the robot Rocket trio could *possibly* be unpopular, right?

Last edited:
Here's what was said thanks to jessierocketka. There seems to be some misinformation floating around.

jessierocketka said:
Musashi: What about Sakaki?
Secretary: He's now in important meeting and he can't leave his place
Kojiro: Wasn't yesterday a meeting too?
Secretary: It's because Sakaki's very busy
Musashi: If that's so, what should be our actions now concretely? Have you heard?
Secretary: Yes, from now on, you're on your own. Do your best for sake of Rocket Gang

poor Nyasu he thinks they've been abandoned by Sakaki

oh and Musashi says that it can't be that Sakaki abandoned them, because he have high expectations of them

Musashi repeats the same thing Kojiro did in BW007 about pokemon having "war potential"

So I guess whenever Sakaki is done being busy things will change back. Hope next week sheds some slight into this.

Last edited:
Of course. Because there's no way the robot Rocket trio could *possibly* be unpopular, right?
I don't know what is and isn't unpopular since I'm not talking to every child and Internet poster in Japan to see what they think of the new or old Team Rocket. All I'm saying is that thinking that they just out of the blue decided to change them back to white uniforms because "fans demanded it" is dumb. They make these episodes at least half a year in advance. If they were going to make them badass black uniforms in one sitting and then switch them to white uniforms in another, then it was planned, not insisted upon. Especially not by any of us.

To add on to what garfield is saying, I think everyone is forgetting about the movies. Forget changing the Rocket scenes in the episodes at the last minute, there's no way they could suddenly rewrite and reanimate the Rocket's role in the movies. Those are planned even farther in advance.

Honestly, I can't see why they can't be serious yet funny too. All the writers have to do is not make them lose constantly. That alone would make them good.

I prefer the old Team Rocket...up to Sinnoh. Then I started to dislike them greatly. However, I love the more serious Team Rocket so far.

BW33 shows serious TR again, doesn't it?

So it won't be that long before they go back to their black uniforms.

BW33 shows serious TR again, doesn't it?

You mean this?

image.php

Neither and both.

The goofy TR that captured Pikachu, retreated into their mecha, got beaten and blasted off should be obliterated from the face of the Earth. It's wasted time, it has nothing to do with the episodes' plot 99% of the time and a very good chunk of the time, nothing comes out of it. The thing is, before, the writers were using TR as a crutch. Who are Ash's pokémon gonna evolve against? TR. Major meh...

Competent TR, on the other hand, was getting kinda boring, mostly because of the lack of interactions, though their plot with Giovanni was great as it was a plot that didn't involve Ash. Though, the writers should have made them appear less. Seeing them escape a police ambush on gliders after blowing up a bus, thrilling. Seeing JJM looking at an ipad while being unpersonable, not thrilling.

Basically, keep some of the personality, but also keep the plot and the determination and professionalism.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom