• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Differences between the Anime and games that bother you

and who knows when we'll see Team Plasma for now.

They have been foreshadowing Plasma since episode two. I know we didn't get to see them until episode 23, but it's not like they came out of nowhere.

The inability to dodge in the games, the Pokemon don't show any characteristics aside from the nature they have listed, & being unable to combine attacks.

EVERYTHING bothers me, but mostly Ash. It gets even worse when you realize that, contrary to popular belief, he is NOT based on Red, but on the player. I'll say that again. Not the player character, the player.

Has this been confirmed, or is this theorizing on your part?

Has this been confirmed, or is this theorizing on your part?

Well Ash was obviously originally based on Red (his outfit was still pretty different with the hat and blue clothes). But he has went on to Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova doing things that the players of other regions would do. He even adopts similar outfits to Lucas and Hilbert. He hasn't even once wore FRLG!Red's outfit. So he was supposed to be based off the player character from Kanto but now he's just the player.

Not too big a deal, but the fate they gave Gary in the anime. The researcher thing was done awfully.

Ash. SMH, I could write a book on my problems with Ash.

The way that the evil teams aren't really showcased as much in the anime.

The way the anime ONLY ever shows most of the player characters (Brendan, Ethan (Gold), Kris, etc.) through cameos.

Pokemon battles in general. They'll have water pokemon get beat by a fire pokemon, when the fire pokemon took direct hydro pumps. A pikachu plowing through rock pokemon and beating them with electric moves makes no sense.

Ash not battling Gary in the finals during the Kanto League. He's the champion in the games but they didn't even battle once in the anime. Ash should have battled Giovanni as well.

Pokemon battles in general. They'll have water pokemon get beat by a fire pokemon, when the fire pokemon took direct hydro pumps. A pikachu plowing through rock pokemon and beating them with electric moves makes no sense.

Rock gets neutral damage from Electric. Ground is the immune type. Shocking, I know. :p

Honestly though, when was the last time a Electric-type beat a Ground-type? Pikachu vs Roark's Onix? But then again, Pikachu won using other moves than Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle...

Incosistencies with the type chart. They are free to make Electric effective against Ground but if thats the way you want to do it, then atleast stay that way. SOme times Normal type moves hit ghosts and at other times they don't. This really bothers me.

Rock gets neutral damage from Electric. Ground is the immune type. Shocking, I know. :p

Honestly though, when was the last time a Electric-type beat a Ground-type? Pikachu vs Roark's Onix? But then again, Pikachu won using other moves than Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle...

When it happened doesn't matter.

For me any time a pokemon wins when its at a disadvantage is a time to pay close attention. If the pokemon and its trainer worked well together and the battle made sense then theres no problem. But when you have a Blastois hit a Chariard with a Hydro Pump and it doesn't go down or really seem to be effected theres a problem.

Stats. It shouldn't take 50 freaking hits to KO a gastly.

Another thing is dodging. In the games a 100% accurate move is 100% accurate. You can't "dodge" it.

^ yes you can.

you can't dodge -- Accuracy
100%Accuracy is dodgeable

Ash not battling Gary in the finals during the Kanto League. He's the champion in the games but they didn't even battle once in the anime. Ash should have battled Giovanni as well.

They battled in Pallet Town after the Orange Island arc and at the Johto league.

Let us not forget the infamous, "AIM FOR THE HORN" Rhydon incident at the Cinnabar gym.

I have various things that bother me about the anime and make me prefer the games over it, apart from being the original canon, of course.

-Battling in general. The anime screws practically all type effectiveness and whatnot when it comes to it. In some cases it's understandable to they can give a victory to whichever party is supposed to win, but in others, it's very unfair, especially to those who play the games often. Most prominent case was Satoshi/Ash's victory against Tsutsuji/Roxanne. Also, how they have to choose from x amount of Pokemon when in the games we can use our full party, and it's still fair.
-The lack of usual healing items that make the games so much easier and technically modern than the setting of the anime. This has even been pointed out by someone commenting on the Zoroark movie. "A bandage? Have they ever heard of Full Restore?"
-How game characters have changed personalities in the adaptation, and how some had minor cameos (looking at Silver and player characters) or never appeared (Karin, Itsuki, the Rocket Executives, Mari and Dai, the rest of the Shinou Frontier Brains, and Arceus knows how many characters will fade in BW).
-How the plotline concerning the villainous teams is handled every saga. Especially in the case of Team Galactic, since they started with the true action very late. Team Plasma vs. Team Rocket also sounds pretty awkward in my opinion, and is basically a recycling of the ORIGINAL Team Aqua vs. Team Magma plot in the games, only with the motives changed.
-The legendaries are also a big problem, as in the anime they are treated literally as Gods and catching some of them causes disasters. That's unlike the games, where (I think) they are just very powerful Pokemon correlating with common myths, and not actual forces; or they don't lose control of said forces even after capture. You can even have multiple legendaries and even two of the same species. I think in this matter that I'm the only one who may support Takuto/Tobias from DP.
-...Satoshi himself. Enough said.

There may be even more, but those are mine right now.

They battled in Pallet Town after the Orange Island arc and at the Johto league.

But they didn't battle kruing the first season in Kanto. You'd think Ash would ahve at least one battle against his rival during the first season, especially since the series was originally gonna end after the first season, but they didn't have one battle.

I never had a problem with Takuto and I honestly never understood the fan hate surrounding him. we can catch legends in game, so why wouldn't it be far to catch them in the anime. Pokemon are still Pokemon and therefore can be weakened and captured, regardless of status imo.

Also, as many others have stated, Pikachu and his game breaking rules. I want to know why is it that only Ash and his Pokemon seem to be able to OHKO ground types with electric moves and no one else, don't make the shoulder rat fucking special, if you want to break the rules, show other electric types do it too.

Ash and Pikachu. I'm not even gonna get into those two.

Certain Pokemon taking like a thousand hits from their opponent, but then they suddenly OHKO their opponent after practically getting pummeled, Charizard vs Articuno come to mind, I still think Charizard should have lost that damn battle. Also Swellow and Corphish vs Arcanine and Swampert and most recently Kurumayu/Sewaddle vs Hoiiga/Whirlpede. Pikachu vs Raichu in the OS was a load of bull too. He used his tail as a ground? Even Surge thought that was complete utter bullshit. Also from the Original series, where they seem to make Pikachu out to be the fastest thing ever, when we all knew Raichu was alot faster than Pikachu, at least until it got its own exclusive item in game.

Last edited:
I never had a problem with Takuto and I honestly never understood the fan hate surrounding him. we can catch legends in game, so why wouldn't it be far to catch them in the anime. Pokemon are still Pokemon and therefore can be weakened and captured, regardless of status imo.

Also, as many others have stated, Pikachu and his game breaking rules. I want to know why is it that only Ash and his Pokemon seem to be able to OHKO ground types with electric moves and no one else, don't make the shoulder rat fucking special, if you want to break the rules, show other electric types do it too.

Ash and Pikachu. I'm not even gonna get into those two.

Certain Pokemon taking like a thousand hits from their opponent, but then they suddenly OHKO their opponent after practically getting pummeled, Charizard vs Articuno come to mind, I still think Charizard should have lost that damn battle. Also Swellow and Corphish vs Arcanine and Swampert and most recently Kurumayu/Sewaddle vs Hoiiga/Whirlpede. Pikachu vs Raichu in the OS was a load of bull too. He used his tail as a ground? Even Surge thought that was complete utter bullshit. Also from the Original series, where they seem to make Pikachu out to be the fastest thing ever, when we all knew Raichu was alot faster than Pikachu, at least until it got its own exclusive item in game.

The last point about pokemon taking a bunch of hits is something that also annoys me but I forgot to mention.

Another thing is the way a lot of Ash's battles play out in general. There are some battles where it makes absolutely no sense that he won. Either the opponents pokemon are taken out quicker than they honestly should be or Ash's pokemon take hit after hit when they shoud have fainted.

Agreed. Its like the writers don't want him to loose repeatedly, so they have him pull these ridiculous turn arounds.

1. the fact that none of the male player characters never make an appearence in the anime. And if they do, it's only in specials.

2. There are no trainers for ash to fight before he faces the gym leader like it is in the game.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom