• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PMD's Linked Move feature in the main game

ZeekSlider

never finished Gen. 2
Reaction score
Random thought: How do you think battle strategies would change if the Linked Move feature from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Linked_move) was introduced into the main/proper game line?

On one hand, you would have no problem executing combination attacks such as Defense Curl and Rollout. On the other hand, you also have the possibility of people using two powerful attacks back-to-back, thereby causing a sudden end to your battle quicker than normal.

I don't know. My battle strategy skills suck, but it does make me curious as to the what you guys would do if the Linked Move feature was part of the series proper. Any idea what kind of links you guys would want to make or wish you could use? Any that you don't want or would find annoying if someone did use it on you?

It would most likely be a very bad idea. Unless they had some sort of restrictions. Like, not being able to link together two strong attacks, like Hyper Beam and Giga Impact. Other than that, I don't really see it happening in a main series game.

Hyper Beam can't be linked anyway.

The only moves that can be linked are moves that can be executed in a single turn. So moves like Dig, Fly, Hyper Beam, Solarbeam, etc. that have a charging turn or require two turns to execute cannot be linked to another move.

This means no Dig + Close Combat for those who like to ninja their attacks.

Nope it would be extremely broken and if theres bans on linking certain moves together it would be still broken as just the idea of using 2 attacks in 1 turn would be broken.

What do you mean by broken?

Do you mean broken as in over-powered? Or broken as in it's not a fully-functioning feature that would make sense or add to the proper game series?

Granted, I'm aware that the Linked Move feature in PMD is because of the UNGODLY high HP some of the enemies can have (Dialga alone has at least 1200 HP for what my math is worth). But in the main-game series, you could get some kind of benefit from this feature even if the consequence of linking moves together would be a lower base power for both moves or something, would you not?

What do you mean by broken?

Do you mean broken as in over-powered? Or broken as in it's not a fully-functioning feature that would make sense or add to the proper game series?

Granted, I'm aware that the Linked Move feature in PMD is because of the UNGODLY high HP some of the enemies can have (Dialga alone has at least 1200 HP for what my math is worth). But in the main-game series, you could get some kind of benefit from this feature even if the consequence of linking moves together would be a lower base power for both moves or something, would you not?

Broken in competetive sense usually means overpowered.

I LOVE how so far all the replies have been just stating that they don't want the feature rather than actually addressing the topic at hand as to how battle stratgeies would change if the feature was added.

Just saying, is all.

And, yes, I know I suck at making conversation, but hell, I thought this would be an interesting topic of discussion. Guess I was wrong and proven as wrong in that though.

I LOVE how so far all the replies have been just stating that they don't want the feature rather than actually addressing the topic at hand as to how battle stratgeies would change if the feature was added.

Just saying, is all.

And, yes, I know I suck at making conversation, but hell, I thought this would be an interesting topic of discussion. Guess I was wrong and proven as wrong in that though.

Well, this is kind of a bad idea. The mechanics of PMD are really different than those in the Main Series games. Everyone is right, this would be unfair and broken.

Just saying, is all.

It wouldn't work in the turn based system Pokemon uses. Maybe if it was faster paced like PMD it would work, but it might still be overpowered as well.

On one hand, it would be cool. Like sunny day and solarbeam. (I know solarbeam can't be linked, though.) On the other hand, it would be annoying as hell. Like sand attack then mud slap at the same time. In PMD, it was a great mechanic. It saved my ass going up against Dialga in PMD2, but it would just make it really hard to battle in the main games.

It would be kind of fun in-game, but the entire competitive metagame would pretty much be screwed over. Stealth Rock + Spikes + Taunt + Protect all linked lead Aerodactyl, for example.

And then you would have people claiming to boycott the next gen (and they will buy it anyway).

It would be kind of fun in-game, but the entire competitive metagame would pretty much be screwed over. Stealth Rock + Spikes + Taunt + Protect all linked lead Aerodactyl, for example.
Eww. Didn't think about that.

On the plus side, if they did translate the Hunger mechanic to PP usage, linking all four of those moves together would pretty much mean you would only be able to pull it off once or twice per battle since your PP would be sapped dry for one of those moves. (I think...)

Or maybe limit it to two moves only per link? That way you would have to choose between doing Stealth Rock + Spikes or Taunt + Protect, but not all four? Just thinking out loud...

Forget it. This thread sucks.

I just wanted to see what would happen, but clearly the ONLY thing that will happen is that people will abuse it and link all the powerful moves together and make some mondo super move that would cause people to just hate the feature entire.

So much for thinking that people came up with unique battle strategies, like that one person I saw on YouTube who is able to pull off a Baton Pass stat boost using Belly Drum and some Berry that increases the user's speed in one turn. I guess moves, hold items, and abilities is all the strategies anyone needs.

Well, we can already do combo moves. They just take more than one turn to execute. Linking these moves would just be too easy to make the strategies happen.

So far the only one that I've seen that has had any success is the aformentioned Baton Passing Smeargle.

Every other combo that I've seen, or for that matter even attempted, has been blocked or nutrallized before the combo even can get set off. Both by other players and by the computer.

That's why we have moves like Baton Pass. For combos and whatnot. Why bother adding a link system.

For the idiots with bad luck like myself. Just now, I tried to set up a Defense Curl Rollout in Stadium 2. The computer saw it coming and BOOM! Counter.

Then there was the Lock-On Thunder combo I tried when I actually had a saved game on Gold. That failed more times than I could remember, and I was using a Porygon to avoid getting OHKO by Earthquake. Computer saw through that as well and SOMEHOW countered it. Even tried Belly Drum, Rest, Snore once. Couldn't even get the Snore out before the Snorlax I had got hammered.

Technically, the only combo I've been able to pull off was back in RBY with Thunderwave and Confuse Ray. Tried to do the Toxic, Substitute, Recover/Leech Seed tactic that I've seen done before, but I could never get Substitute out before getting KO'd.

Basically, anyone can beat me because I suck at battling. It's gotten to the point where my battle strategy is "hit them as hard as you can as often as you can and don't give a damn about your stats." Works wonders against the computer, but against people? Nope. If I had Pokemon Battle Revolution or any of the current generation titles, I can promise you my Wi-Fi battle record would be 0-100-0.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom