• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

Raikou. They now say it "RI-ko" instead of "RI-koo". That and a few others.

Actually... the show has been NOTED for messing that one up. It IS "RI-ko".

In the DP saga they pronounced Altaria's name as "ALL-tar-ee-uh", where I've always pronounced it or heard it pronounced as "Al-tear-ee-uh". I personally believed they messed up on that one (btw, the anime's pronunciations aren't by any means infallible).

I used to think Rattata's name was "Rat-uh-tat", but since I've learned it ends with an "a" I have no idea how to say it. I usually say "Rat-uh-tat-uh", but I know I'm wrong. I really don't know how to say its name! 8[

Suicune gets rendered as "SU-cune" or "[Cantonese pronunciation of water]-cune"

Raikou gets rendered as "RAI-koo"

Pidove gets rendered as "PIE-dove"

Audino gets rendered as "AUD-ino"

Gardevoir gets rendered as "GARD-vore" or "GARDE-vore" or "GARDE-voir" or "GARDE-vah"

Milotic gets rendered as "MI-lo-tic"

Yeah, I tend to mangle the names pretty mad. In fact, I estimate that half of the pokémon names pronounced by me are "incorrect".

Reshiram and Unova. I pronounce Reshiram Re-shI-ram and Unova Oo-know-va. (i hate those commercials calling them that...)

I dont mess up with the names of the monsters, but I call Unova OO-no-va.
My boyfriend calls ratata ra-ta-TAT-ah, which I think is extremely annoying >.>

I thought Audino was "aw-dee-no" until I got the joke.

Also, that Zekrom is "zek-chrome" rather than the "Zekrom" off the anime. It's more like the Japanese romanization (ゼクロム).

I still say Audino as "Au-dee-no"
Oh yeah that Alomomola(I think that's it), I say it as "Alomoloma"... Or I add as many "lomalomas" as I like, at the end of the word.
And I heard that Munna is pronounced "Moo-na" in the anime? Cause I just say it as "Munn-na".

I say ray-QWAY-zuh for Rayquaza. Sometimes I just pronounce vowels long for some reason, like I say O-carina for ocarina of time lol.

I also used to say soo-ih-seen for suicune when I was in like 3rd grade. Then one day my friend was trying to catch Suicune and I was like, dude your pronouncing it wrong! Its soo-ih-seen!

Also, that Zekrom is "zek-chrome" rather than the "Zekrom" off the anime. It's more like the Japanese romanization (ゼクロム).

Better than "Zee-krawm", which I imagine a lot of southern Americans doing.

Probably most of them.

Reshiram. I pronounce it Resh-ri-am instead of Resh-i-ram.

I pronounce it "Resh-AI-rum". See, I have this problem where I add/omit letters and jumble up the ones that are already there. I don't do it all the time, but often enough. Not on purpose either. It just happens :x

I don't know how on earth to pronounce Hydreigon, so I either say hydrogen, hydrygen or hydregen.

I think almost all. ><
I'm Slavic, so my language is way different than most of you.

Giratina or Arceus. I can never remember how to say it!
"Jeer-a-teen-a" or "Gear-a-teen-a"?
"Arch-E-us" or "Ar-SEE-us"?

APPARENTLY Arcanine is pronounced "AR-KAAAY-NINE", but I've always said "AR-CUH-NINE". So, if the narrator of the anime and games is correct...
I'm wrong.

B'aww.

Most people would say I pronounce "Houndour" incorrectly, but I actually say the word "dour" correctly, which sounds more like the word "door" than how most people say it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom