• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

In ruby, my shiftry leveled to 49 but did not learn leaf storm? is there any way to make it learn it? i play it on visual boy advance so going back to my last saved file as level 48 shouldn't be a problem.

in gen 3 Shiftry doesn't learn any new moves via level-up. You're looking at gen 4 and 5 movesets, and Leaf Storm doesn't exist in gen 3 games.

How long did it take Shuckle to produce a Rare Candy from Berry Juice? That information isn't on Bulbapedia since that ability was removed.

How long did it take Shuckle to produce a Rare Candy from Berry Juice? That information isn't on Bulbapedia since that ability was removed.

Gen 2: Berry→Berry Juice→Rare Candy
Gen 3: Oran Berry→Berry Juice
Gen 4 & 5: ditched the mechanic altogether

As far as how long it takes Shuckle to make the Rare Candy in Gen 2, no clue if it's step based or actual time based. I can't find anything really online about it, other than that the mechanic was ditched in later generations. I do have a copy of Gold so i'll test it out and get back to you.

I think this is the right place post this question... Correct me if I'm wrong ^^;
So I bought Pokemon Sappire for GBA, because I wanted to transfer Torchic through Pal Park into my Diamond DS verison, so I played for a while in Saphire until I had 7 Pokemon, saved my game, turned off my DS then turned it back on to play Diamond. There was no box on the main menu about transfering your old Pokemon to your new game, and this was my first time so I ignored that and went straight to Pal Park, the ranger guy at the front said I didn't have enough Pokemon to play, so I thought " oh must be cause I forgot to put them in my PC in Sapphire..." so I saved my game, turned off the ds and went to Pokemon Sapphire... and it said my game had been deleted! I'm wondering why would this be? I bought it from overseas so maybe it was a bootleg? Idk I'm just confused >_<

I think this is the right place post this question... Correct me if I'm wrong ^^;
So I bought Pokemon Sappire for GBA, because I wanted to transfer Torchic through Pal Park into my Diamond DS verison, so I played for a while in Saphire until I had 7 Pokemon, saved my game, turned off my DS then turned it back on to play Diamond. There was no box on the main menu about transfering your old Pokemon to your new game, and this was my first time so I ignored that and went straight to Pal Park, the ranger guy at the front said I didn't have enough Pokemon to play, so I thought " oh must be cause I forgot to put them in my PC in Sapphire..." so I saved my game, turned off the ds and went to Pokemon Sapphire... and it said my game had been deleted! I'm wondering why would this be? I bought it from overseas so maybe it was a bootleg? Idk I'm just confused >_<

if i remember correctly, bootlegs will delete themselves if they are put into a DS (w/ a legit ds cart?). it's generally a rule to avoid anything bought from china/hong kong as 9.9 times out of 10 its a fake.

Weren't Ruby/Sapphire also victims of the internal battery issue that currently plagues all of the Gen. 2 titles? It could be that as well, since GBA games also ran on internal batteries.

Weren't Ruby/Sapphire also victims of the internal battery issue that currently plagues all of the Gen. 2 titles? It could be that as well, since GBA games also ran on internal batteries.

yes but in a different way than from gen 2 which deleted the save. in gen 3 the battery merely ran the time based events, and that alone. as far as i know, it wouldn't delete the file, especially since there are numerous ways of fixing it by trading with other gen 3 games.

if your game's battery had run dry, it would've told you everytime you started up the game.

I've heard of the internal battery issue, but it seems to only lose all my progress once I do anything with the Pal Park....
And it looked really legit, came with an original box with the Nintendo seal and everything, but who knows... here's the link to the website if anyone's curious http://www.games-stock.com/catalog/pokA~(c)mon-sapphire-p-834.html
Er, just tell me if I'm breaking any rules ( I got almost banned somewhere else for posting a link to a youtube video...)

Okay I've confirmed it's a bootleg, dunno how that worked but I went a bought a new one from gamestop today and it looked completley different, and when I popped it into my ds it worked perfectly, no problems with migrating Pokemon. Only thing that happened was it said the battery had run dry, the game could be played but the internal clock wouldn't keep track of the time anymore, so I went to gamestop again, told them the problem, got a new copy with a working battery, and everything worked out. Third times the charm I suppose.

In my Gold, I have "junk" mail in my pc, made up of weird symbols. I also have many room decorations that I did not obtain through mystery gift (including an unown doll which is only obtainable through Stadium 2, which I do not have). Is the internal battery almost dead?

I mean the whole world in Crystal.

So The absolutely needed ones are Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, and Waterfall?

Cut, Flash, Fly, and Rock Smash (and by proxy Headbutt) are generally useless?

From the start of the game, you need every one listed except for fly and flash (though both are handy).

About the internal battery: sometimes you can fix it through using a patch by connecting with FRLGE, but other times you actually have to go and replace the battery manually.

In my Gold, I have "junk" mail in my pc, made up of weird symbols. I also have many room decorations that I did not obtain through mystery gift (including an unown doll which is only obtainable through Stadium 2, which I do not have). Is the internal battery almost dead?

Maybe, maybe not (See "Related problems" and "Causes")

About the internal battery: sometimes you can fix it through using a patch by connecting with FRLGE, but other times you actually have to go and replace the battery manually.

What patch do you mean? I thought gen 2 was incompatible with gen3.

By the way, thanks Minimiscience. I think that is the problem.

Last edited:
G/S/C - Level 40 or Level 60 Lugia/Ho-Oh

Which do you guys think is better when the intend to to level both of them up to Level 100?

Catching the Level 40 versions of Lugia/Ho-Oh in the Silver/Gold cames or catching their Level 60 versions in Crystal?

I'm leaning towards the L40s versions just because of the simple mentality of "trained Pokemon are better than wild Pokemon at that same level," but that would mean playing those entire games all over again. (Not to mention going through the task of replacing the internal batteries again. :banghead: )

Still, the thought did cross my mind. I mean, if you had the option of catching a legendary at a lower level (legally) and were going to train it up to Level 100, would you go through all that trouble?

Out of curiosity, did you clone any of your Pokemon? Sometimes you could obtain a bad clone, perhaps it over written some data in your PC storage system. Also, if the game keeps asking you to set the time after the title screen, it's a sign that the battery is about to die. So in your case, it could be a bad clone. :\

Out of curiosity, did you clone any of your Pokemon? Sometimes you could obtain a bad clone, perhaps it over written some data in your PC storage system. Also, if the game keeps asking you to set the time after the title screen, it's a sign that the battery is about to die. So in your case, it could be a bad clone. :\

Yes, I did clone my pokémon many, many times. So that could be the reason. It would also explain why this has not happened in my Crystal, as I did not know how to clone in that until recently.

Fortunately, Gold does not ask me yet to reset the time, so I still have time before the battery runs out. Time enough to get the Gameboy Color Mega Memory Card to back up my save files.

Is there something wrong with my game?

I seem to be only encountering female bugs during the Bug Catching Contest. Strangely enough, I won the contest with the only male I found.

I looked up the Happiness article on Bulbapedia to figure out why my Poliwhirl still hates me even after evolving and gaining 5 Levels. Heck, it's been with me for several breeding cycles now, as I've been trying to breed a male Scyther via a female one and a Ditto, which is more than 256 steps per egg/hatching cycle! But Pokemon Stadium and the Goldenrod Happiness Rater keep saying my Poliwhirl hates me.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue may be? I don't use Herbs, and it hasn't fainted since I caught it. I only noticed this today after making it my HM Slave.

Is there something wrong with my game?

I seem to be only encountering female bugs during the Bug Catching Contest. Strangely enough, I won the contest with the only male I found.

Law of averages dictates that that can happen.

I looked up the Happiness article on Bulbapedia to figure out why my Poliwhirl still hates me even after evolving and gaining 5 Levels. Heck, it's been with me for several breeding cycles now, as I've been trying to breed a male Scyther via a female one and a Ditto, which is more than 256 steps per egg/hatching cycle! But Pokemon Stadium and the Goldenrod Happiness Rater keep saying my Poliwhirl hates me.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue may be? I don't use Herbs, and it hasn't fainted since I caught it. I only noticed this today after making it my HM Slave.

When you catch a pokemon, it starts at 70, right? Well, if you're leveling it up and hatching eggs with it in the lead, it will gain a lot of points, but it may only be at a middling happiness, and so when the reader reads it, it gives the answer for bad/average happiness.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom