• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on IGN.com's Top 100 Pokemon List

I am surprised that a lot of people here decided to look at IGN's list too. I thought that most of the people here hated IGN, but I was wrong. Anyway, I decided to wait for the list to be completed before stating my full opinion, but it seems that the list is going to get interesting, especially because there are some interesting Pokemon that stood out, like Rapidash and Braviary.

Thanks for reading.

List thus far

81) Latias
82) Infernape
83) Electabuzz
84) Rhydon
85) Deoxys
86) Palkia
87) Meganium
88) Electivire
89) Braviary
90) Rapidash
91) Kadabra
92) Luxray
93) Growlithe
94) Machamp
95) Glaceon
96) Hitmonlee
97) Onix
98) Cubone
99) Gabite
100)Gastly

Why do I get the feeling Mewtwo is going to be in the Top 5 along with Mew?

Even though I like all of those, I am a bit bewildered as to why they would be on the list as they're all quite low on the creativity side.

Because to your average IGN poll voter, "creative design" means "looks like Digimon!!" or "raping my childhood!!". Usually both.

In actuality, these pokemon aren't that low since for this poll, they're statistically better than nearly 85% of all the other Pokemon.

The fact they made it this far is still pretty good depending on how much you like these choices or not.

Glaceon is not boring :O seriously most of the pokemon on the list I like.
Eh. Just looks the same as any other eevee form, 'cept with bangs, imo.

I don't think any of the eeveelutions are any good bar Vaporeon, but like I said, I just don't get a lot of these fan favourites. *shrug*

Why do I get the feeling Mewtwo is going to be in the Top 5 along with Mew?

Nostalgia kids. The same people who only like Season 1 because they saw it when they were 4-5 and think it's ruined forever because it's after season 1.

List thus far

81) Latias
82) Infernape
83) Electabuzz
84) Rhydon
85) Deoxys
86) Palkia
87) Meganium
88) Electivire
89) Braviary
90) Rapidash
91) Kadabra
92) Luxray
93) Growlithe
94) Machamp
95) Glaceon
96) Hitmonlee
97) Onix
98) Cubone
99) Gabite
100)Gastly

This was what I was afraid of. Lots of Gen I Pokemon due to nostalgia freaks. D:

There are more newer Pokemon then what I predicted though.

Well, differing opinions are a big part of what influence the results. Of course there will always be people that won't agree on the same thing. People like what they like :p

If any of the Eeveelutions got the higher spots I'd be betting on Umbreon just based around the popularity polls here even though that wouldn't be my personal pick. There are only two Eeveelutions I care about, but I won't hold my breath expecting them to make it.

However, if Glaceon is the only Eeveelution in the top 100, I'd actually be quite surprised. Eeveelutions are in general widely popular as similar polls in Japan have shown and just the general show of support of most fans having at least one favorite Eeveelution.

List thus far

81) Latias
82) Infernape
83) Electabuzz
84) Rhydon
85) Deoxys
86) Palkia
87) Meganium
88) Electivire
89) Braviary
90) Rapidash
91) Kadabra
92) Luxray
93) Growlithe
94) Machamp
95) Glaceon
96) Hitmonlee
97) Onix
98) Cubone
99) Gabite
100)Gastly

Glaceon is #95? WTF Some of the good pokemon are so far down the list. :( I want to see what the top 20 are. I guess i could be happy if Umbreon or even Eevee itself were in the top 50 i guess

I'm betting on all of them except Leafia making it in. I can't imagine Leafia being more popular than Glacia, but all the others are immensely popular mons from early generations, and will most definitely make the cut.

Warrgle ranking so low means there's little to no hope of any non-start/non-version mascot gen 5 mon making it, though. Warrgle is one of the few gen 5 mons even the most uptight nostalgiafag agrees is pretty cool looking.

Seeing how some of them are met more often than others when choosing between them, I can be sure I will be seeing them in the list in the near future. Still, it doesn't mean I support them. Some notable culprits include Dragonite, Mew, Mewtwo, Blastoise, Charizard, Rayquaza and Zapdos.

Thanks for reading.

I'm betting on all of them except Leafia making it in. I can't imagine Leafia being more popular than Glacia, but all the others are immensely popular mons from early generations, and will most definitely make the cut.
Ouch. :C
That perspective pretty much killed any optimism I had. It's pretty harsh when you consider your favorite might take a bench to the rest of the team.

Warrgle ranking so low means there's little to no hope of any non-start/non-version mascot gen 5 mon making it, though. Warrgle is one of the few gen 5 mons even the most uptight nostalgiafag agrees is pretty cool looking.

I have some hopes on Scrafty and Buffalon making it in there. They proved popular enough to have short lived meme statuses, but that's pushing it since they weren't nearly as popular as the starters.

I'd also be really suprised if there aren't a few more eeveelutions on the team. (Here's hoping for Umbreon and Vaporeon). I doubt we'll see Leafeon because of the description under Glaceon.

And lets remember that this is a top 100 list out of over 600. Just to be on the list at all is good.

Am I the only one that didn't know Rhydon was the first pokemon created? LOL, i've never even thought about which one came first.

About the banner they used... am I the only one extremely irked about them using that fanart of Snivy with all of the other anime stock art? I normally don't complain about everything not being all neat and tidy (heck, ask anyone that knows me offline, I'm a freaking slob), but when all Pokemon art is put together that isn't of the same kind it just looks ugly to me as if they slapped the first image they found off of Google images. Dx (Tepig's Sugimori art, too, to a lesser extent.)

Anyways, now about the list so far. As most have been saying... meh, we all say the GEN I > ALL coming. I mean, Onix and Gastly? I give Onix credit for being a challenge if you chose Charmander in RB and Gastly for being the first ghost type... but that's about it, really. =/ Next thing I know I'll be seeing Geodude, Mr. Mime, and Jynx.

Although, I'll predict this is one time I can let the Mudkip meme getting in the way of people's judgement on it slide... :p (I'll be damned if it doesn't get into the Top 50.)

Ouch. :C
That perspective pretty much killed any optimism I had. It's pretty harsh when you consider your favorite might take a bench to the rest of the team.

If it makes you feel better, Leafeon is much better competitively to Glaceon. It was UU las gen whereas Glaceon was NU. In fact, aside from Vaporeon, Jolteon and maybe, maybe Umbreon, Leafeon was the most popular Eeveelution competitively in Gen IV. With her new ability, Magic Mirror, we can expect Espeon to be quite popular this gen too, but Leafeon got Droughtales as a buff, so mabe we'll see more of him too.

Also, if it makes you feel better, Leafeon is my favorite Eeveelution too.

Still hoping Leafeon makes the list eventually. Too much more awesome than, say, Flareon.

List so far is... interesting. I'm happy Meganium made the list. I honestly didn't have much hope of seeing her in there. Still, I think she should have been higher (not top 50 or anything, but higher.)

On another topic, just because someone likes a Gen I Pokemon over a Gen V Pokemon doesn't mean they are being blinded by nostalgia. Later generation =/= automatically equal better designs. I get where you guys are coming from and I understand the frustration you must feel. I also get why you blame the lack of Gen III+ Pokemon on nostalgia, but some of your complaints come off as extremely similar to the nostalgia freaks, but on the other extreme. It appears as if you abhor earlier generation 'mons because all the new ones are so OMGZ AWESOME!!!! Every generation has its shares of successes and flops and its immature to act like Gen III+ could do no wrong but Gen I+ were just God awful. This little rant isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just needed to get that out of my system. The hipocrisy I see in Pokemon fandom (not here specifically, everywhere) is just really grating. Yes, Gen I/II nostalgia freaks are bad, but so is the other extreme.

I like Pokemon from all generations. To me, they aren't divided by generations. They are all simply Pokemon.

I have some hopes on Scrafty and Buffalon making it in there. They proved popular enough to have short lived meme statuses, but that's pushing it since they weren't nearly as popular as the starters.

I'd be immensely surprised if Emboar made it to that list; the little guy isn't widely loved as the other gen V starter lines.

On another topic, just because someone likes a Gen I Pokemon over a Gen V Pokemon doesn't mean they are being blinded by nostalgia. Later generation =/= automatically equal better designs. I get where you guys are coming from and I understand the frustration you must feel. I also get why you blame the lack of Gen III+ Pokemon on nostalgia, but some of your complaints come off as extremely similar to the nostalgia freaks, but on the other extreme.

I think you're misunderstanding.

People were assuming from the very start that the list would be mostly Gen I pokemon, and their assumptions have so far turned out to be good.
There are tons and tons of "Pokemon was awesome now it sucks, only Gen 1 was good" people out there, and hosting such a poll on a mainstream gaming website like IGN means they'll see, and partake in the poll. The only complaints here are general annoyance with why it has to be this way, because... well, current Pokemon fans DO like Pokemon from all the generations, and are expressing annoyance at the former fans voting down almost everything that came after their time, severely reducing the chances of these later additions to the franchise making it to the list.

While yeah, this method is inaccurate, the top spots on these polls are bound to be taken by the originals. I see alot of people here blaming a stereotypical majority for seemingly refusing to acknowledge the superior design of Karrablast or whatever your lesser known "pokémon of the now" is...

Honestly, guys, Mewtwo really deserves the first place.

:uhoh:

Last edited:
Darkrai better be in this list. >( I already know (95% certain) that Scizor will be there; if the coolest Legendary and the coolest Regular Pokemon are there, I'll be content. I already accepted that the TOTALLY BEST OF THE BEST SIR WITH HONORS Kanto Pokemon would dominate the list. ._.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom