• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Differences between the Anime and games that bother you

I don't like how moves that should be impossible to dodge (Aerial Ace, Swift etc) are able to be dodged. It annoys me. :/

Also how some weak Pokémon are able to do massive damage sometimes, while they would be out in one hit in the games.

[SIZE][FONT]I still don't have much of a prob with that, personally. If the Pokemon chooses not to. I think that would make him a good trainer, in that sense, because he's putting the feelings of his Pokemon first and how it'd be unfair to force them to evolve if they don't want to. Ash's character, to me, seems to view his Pokemon as friends as opposed to being pure tools for battling.

It's not the issue that Ash refuses to evolve his pokemon, it's that his pokemon are unhappy with evolving. Why on earth would a pokemon be unhappy with evolving? Ash not evolving pokemon isn't the problem. The problem is that the anime shows evolution as a bad thing with making pokemon unhappy to do so. Especially when there's absolutely no reason behind it except the cuteness factor, which IMO is really dumb. It's just infantilizing a show beyond what it should be - even as a little kid I thought it was really dumb - it's assuming that kids will lose interest if pokemon suddenly stop being cute.

It's not the issue that Ash refuses to evolve his pokemon, it's that his pokemon are unhappy with evolving. Why on earth would a pokemon be unhappy with evolving? Ash not evolving pokemon isn't the problem.

You mean Pikachu and Bulbasaur...

Now I liked the Charmander thing, but I thought there was a real reason behind it, though. It's been so long since I've seen it. Was it a badge issue, like in the game, where you can't control Pokemon up to a certain level if you don't have the right amount of badges? They could've been doing that and just chose Charmander since he was the meek one.

No, there's never been any indication that, in the anime, the number of badges a trainer has is correlated to their pokemon's obedience (which, in the games, only applies to traded pokemon any how). Personally, I doubt that there was a deeper reason for Charmeleon's sudden insubordination toward Ash than the writers simply wanting to shake things up.

No, there's never been any indication that, in the anime, the number of badges a trainer has is correlated to their pokemon's obedience (which, in the games, only applies to traded pokemon any how). Personally, I doubt that there was a deeper reason for Charmeleon's sudden insubordination toward Ash than the writers simply wanting to shake things up.
I think Charmeleon lost respect for Ash when he pitten him against a weak Pokemon (Paras, in the episode after its avolution), and also expected him to lose.

The lack of Victory Road bothers me a bit. I have to suffer through it - so should Ash!

I have various things that bother me about the anime and make me prefer the games over it, apart from being the original canon, of course.

-Battling in general. The anime screws practically all type effectiveness and whatnot when it comes to it. In some cases it's understandable to they can give a victory to whichever party is supposed to win, but in others, it's very unfair, especially to those who play the games often. Most prominent case was Satoshi/Ash's victory against Tsutsuji/Roxanne. Also, how they have to choose from x amount of Pokemon when in the games we can use our full party, and it's still fair.
-The lack of usual healing items that make the games so much easier and technically modern than the setting of the anime. This has even been pointed out by someone commenting on the Zoroark movie. "A bandage? Have they ever heard of Full Restore?"
-How game characters have changed personalities in the adaptation, and how some had minor cameos (looking at Silver and player characters) or never appeared (Karin, Itsuki, the Rocket Executives, Mari and Dai, the rest of the Shinou Frontier Brains, and Arceus knows how many characters will fade in BW).
-How the plotline concerning the villainous teams is handled every saga. Especially in the case of Team Galactic, since they started with the true action very late. Team Plasma vs. Team Rocket also sounds pretty awkward in my opinion, and is basically a recycling of the ORIGINAL Team Aqua vs. Team Magma plot in the games, only with the motives changed.
-The legendaries are also a big problem, as in the anime they are treated literally as Gods and catching some of them causes disasters. That's unlike the games, where (I think) they are just very powerful Pokemon correlating with common myths, and not actual forces; or they don't lose control of said forces even after capture. You can even have multiple legendaries and even two of the same species. I think in this matter that I'm the only one who may support Takuto/Tobias from DP.
-...Satoshi himself. Enough said.

There may be even more, but those are mine right now.

This. Also the fact that ash makes friends with every single legendary and talks to them as if they understand. And then they calm down or what ever. I think only a trainer with a true bond to his or her pokemon can do that. The anime in general is trash to me. But then agian, there is real situations. Unlike the game, the pokemon in the show run if they get attacked of get "captured" *sometimes. This is realistic.

You have money in the games and yet it seems like J&J are the only main characters with actual jobs (temp jobs, I guess, but at least they get paychecks). The kids get way too far with no real obvious funding source.

The levels, its always bout da levels. If it was for that, Pika would know a million moves and be at level 9000+

The levels, its always bout da levels. If it was for that, Pika would know a million moves and be at level 9000+

There are no levels from the games in the Anime. The way I see it, it's a bit like real life and DBZ where the characters Ki gets stronger with their bodies via training and combat.

There are no levels from the games in the Anime. The way I see it, it's a bit like real life and DBZ where the characters Ki gets stronger with their bodies via training and combat.

yeah it would be difficy=ult to tell leveling. *instead fuseing pokemon should be introduced! lol. who remembers this old episode where gastly did this epicness?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPkyRUc3DQ&feature=related :banana:

It's not the issue that Ash refuses to evolve his pokemon, it's that his pokemon are unhappy with evolving. Why on earth would a pokemon be unhappy with evolving? Ash not evolving pokemon isn't the problem. The problem is that the anime shows evolution as a bad thing with making pokemon unhappy to do so. Especially when there's absolutely no reason behind it except the cuteness factor, which IMO is really dumb. It's just infantilizing a show beyond what it should be - even as a little kid I thought it was really dumb - it's assuming that kids will lose interest if pokemon suddenly stop being cute.

you mustn't forget how often they seemed to outright belittle evolution. So Taichi doesn't wanna be forced to evolve his Eievui... fair enough. Have it pwn the Rockets, which were just beating his brothers' Pokemon half to death, with little effort? Uh.... that ain't working for me. And I say this a lot, but how many times do they feature Pokemon like Saidon as little more than some raging brute waiting to be taken out by the cute little mains? Until the writers finally grew some damn balls in AG, it's like this anime was the epitome of cute=good, ugly or scary=evil. Of course, the little guy can be capable and all that, but Christ, don't overdo that message to the opposite extreme of the big guy no longer seeming worth it.

The Anime's lack of consistancy with itself. Especially when it comes to the Type-Chart. You are free to change however you want to but dear god, just stick to it. Don't change as you see with every other episode and give a charcter a bull-shit victory/loss.

you mustn't forget how often they seemed to outright belittle evolution. So Taichi doesn't wanna be forced to evolve his Eievui... fair enough. Have it pwn the Rockets, which were just beating his brothers' Pokemon half to death, with little effort? Uh.... that ain't working for me. And I say this a lot, but how many times do they feature Pokemon like Saidon as little more than some raging brute waiting to be taken out by the cute little mains? Until the writers finally grew some damn balls in AG, it's like this anime was the epitome of cute=good, ugly or scary=evil. Of course, the little guy can be capable and all that, but Christ, don't overdo that message to the opposite extreme of the big guy no longer seeming worth it.

You worded it perfectly.

The Anime's lack of consistancy with itself. Especially when it comes to the Type-Chart. You are free to change however you want to but dear god, just stick to it. Don't change as you see with every other episode and give a charcter a bull-shit victory/loss.

They are free to change it however they want? I must disagree. There's nothing wrong with the game type chart, I have no idea why they want to screw it up when there's absolutely no reason to. TBH I doubt the writers even play the games they screw things up so bad.

They are free to change the type-chart as they see fit because its their show. However, can't they atleast keep consistancy with whats been said in an earlier episode?

TBH I doubt the writers even play the games they screw things up so bad.

I wonder why the writers for the games' storylines don't help out the Anime writers. Or why Shopro wouldn't get writers that cared and actually did their job right? Other kids Anime and Manga are good, even great despite the age range, so why can't the Pokemon Anime be as well?

Take the Nicktoons version of DBZ Kai for example: it may be censored but it's the same story and action (mostly) from the original and, for something aimed at kids in America, it's very impressive. Even teens can like it, especially Anime fans.

Why did Pokemon have to get a bad Anime and a bad rep. because of it?

They are free to change the type-chart as they see fit because its their show. However, can't they atleast keep consistancy with whats been said in an earlier episode?

So what if it's their show? WHY would they want to do so and change something from game canon for absolutely no reason whatsoever? That just really, really bugs me. Along with a lot of other things that just don't follow the games.

The anime should at least try to be loyal to the games.

Why did Pokemon have to get a bad Anime and a bad rep. because of it?

Indeed. To be honest I blame the pokemon anime for the dip in popularity since the 90s.

For example; lots of children loved Ocarina of Time, but most of them never grew out of it - they continued playing Legend of Zelda games. Even though young children can play it, nobody really thinks of zelda games as for little kids only.

With pokemon that didn't happen. As the 90s passed most children grew out of liking Pokemon - and now Pokemon is almost completely associated with little children. Unlike Zelda or Mario you can't really be open about liking Pokemon if you're over a certain age. By making the anime aimed at 6 year olds (as opposed to 12 year olds, a good middle-of-the-road age group) they've essentially narrowed down their audience to young children. That works fantastic in the short-term, but it really damaged its reputation in the long term.

At least not in the United States and maybe Europe, anyway.

Last edited:
The anime should at least try to be loyal to the games.

Yeah, I could understand if they altered the storyline to add to it but they barely do and they also make inconsistancies that show that they either don't play the games well enough or they simple don't give a crud.

Or why Shopro wouldn't get writers that cared and actually did their job right?

Don't you think you're being a bit mean here? How do you know they don't care and don't do their job right? It seems to me they work hard on trying to improve the show and stick close to the games, but they can't please everyone. And the inconsistencies you mention really don't happen that often.

And don't forget the show was only supposed to last a year and a half. It's not like they planned on these guys sticking around for 14 years.

Indeed. To be honest I blame the pokemon anime for the dip in popularity since the 90s.

Well, it's still popular thanks to us and other kids. Not as much as before but, hey, crazes die down over time.

Though Black and White are proving to be more popular than past games.

Don't you think you're being a bit mean here? How do you know they don't care and don't do their job right? It seems to me they work hard on trying to improve the show and stick close to the games, but they can't please everyone. And the inconsistencies you mention really don't happen that often.

And don't forget the show was only supposed to last a year and a half. It's not like they planned on these guys sticking around for 14 years.

They work hard to try to stick closely to the games?
Are you serious?

No. No they don't. When it's glaringly obvious that the writers don't play the games they are not trying hard enough.

Well, it's still popular thanks to us and other kids. Not as much as before but, hey, crazes die down over time.

Though Black and White are proving to be more popular than past games.

It is still popular but not a fraction of what it once was. In Japan, maybe. But definitely not here in the United States.
In Japan the anime didn't do anything to the games reputation because in Japan it is perfectly socially acceptable to play things considered cutesy, even if you're male and in your 20s. But honestly based on U.S. figures alone I don't think so. Even if you look at U.S. figures most people who do buy the games are still children. Very different from games like Mario or Zelda that are popular across the board.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom