• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theory on the B/W backstory and others

matt0044

Reaction score
Could the Dessert Resort have been part of Castelia City that was destroyed by the two heroes long ago when they were at war with each other with Reshiram and Zekrom respectively? With more than half of the town leveled, the area became a wasteland beyond the new Castelia City and was left that way along with the abandoned castle to not build on top of the graves of those who died.

What do you think about my theory and what are your theories on B/W?

Last edited:
Well, it is possible that the Relic Castle is the old castle used by those Brothers. However, there is no evidence if Castelia was even around at that time.

Well, about Route 4/Desert Resort... I'm inclined to agree with Cracked, at least on a meta level. At a canon level, I'm not sure what the importance behind the whole thing is, but it will probably be explained in the fullness of time.

There's nothing to suggest Castelia City even existed at that time, and if it did, nothing to suggest its borders were so wide.

Perhaps that's where the dragons did battle, but old Unova certainly extended much further as evident by the Dragon Spiral Tower.

In any case, what I believe happened is this:
-The twin brothers fought, and the dragon split
-Upon realizing that truth and ideal weren't exclusive, the Relic Castle civilization prospered under their rule and the castle itself was built
-A generation later, the entire civilization was destroyed due to the feuding of the twin heroes' sons.

There's a mention that the desert areas and Route 18 were once connected or at least related which can be somewhat proven since both areas have Scraggy and Dwebble.

Well, about Route 4/Desert Resort... I'm inclined to agree with Cracked, at least on a meta level. At a canon level, I'm not sure what the importance behind the whole thing is, but it will probably be explained in the fullness of time.

Agreed. I noticed that as well when I looked at Unova's map for the first time. Whoever planned Unova out wasn't really thinking I guess. Back on topic, I think that if a third version came out(Pokemon Grey, you know thats what its gonna be called), they would explore that a bit more. Lke Emerald with Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza's expanded story, Platinum with Dialga/Palkia/Giratina's story explored a bit further, I reckon they'll do something with Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem, based in Desert Resort

That would be nice if Cracked got its facts straight, considering the area the giant meteor fell is far from the desert that is Route 4, and isn't even devastated but incredibly forested and flourishing with life.

Or if they got Kyurem's size right, which is 9'10". Even convert its metric size, it comes out the same.

So yeah, its just a desert.

A desert that people don't seem to fact-check on.

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is, There is still a huge desert where ground zero is. Doesn't matter how it got there, its there. And I don't care about Kyurem, He lives in the chasm, not the desert so hes kind of a moot point. Cracked might not have all the facts correct, but they still pointed it out

There's a point you're just making up evidence to make things offensive.

It's like how TVTropes was reporting unfortunate implications for Professor Juniper continuing her father's research, making it seem like she only got the job because her father was a Professor.

Yeah, that likely had its perks, and its likely the younger Juniper became interested in the field because of her father, but fact of the matter is, you don't earn a PhD and garner such a good reputation in research because of your blood.

What Cracked pointed out was "OMG KYREM 9'11" DESERT AND GIANT METEOR" when the only fact they got right was where the desert was. The source they cited is even more dubious. The game had been out in Japan already, and here's what they basically had to say:

If you dive deeper in to the Pokémon mythos, you’ll learn that Route 4 was destroyed not by a terrorist attack, but by a meteor from space. Part of the game’s plot apparently has to do with recurring villains Team Rocket attempting to steal a piece of the meteorite for their own nefarious purposes.
It's quite obvious, no one who has been spreading this bullshit around even touched the games to begin with.

This is a description they gave for it:

“… You can see fallen buildings and rubble in that area. It’s called Route 4 in the game. … You can see that it’s clearly a construction site. Archeologists and construction workers trainers can be battled, and there is construction equipment all over the place. This is, unmistakably, a representation of Ground Zero in a Pokemon game."
There's archeologists because there's ruins along that route. How archeologists would be a shout-out to an event in recent history is beyond my understanding of their logic.

As for "fallen" buildings, hardly. They were trying to expand civilization into the desert, but it was far to harsh an environment, so they never really completed construction. Either way, those aren't the remains of destroyed buildings (except the Relic Castle)

It's like Aloe all over again. Just as a black woman shouldn't suddenly be a stereotype just for wearing an apron (which is honestly quite sad about the nature of how people process stereotypes, as any minority even coming close to fulfilling it is suddenly being a stereotype despite, you know, having a freaking PhD), a desert in the middle of a region based on New York isn't suddenly ground zero. It could be just that, a desert. This isn't the first time Game Freak has put something in a region that wasn't there in the first place. They take a lot of liberties when making their region.

Then there's the fact that the desert itself is between two mountain ranges, and a little thing known as the Rain Shadow effect.

These people aren't claiming its a 9/11 reference because its a desert. They're claiming it's a 9/11 reference because its a desert struck down by a giant meteor meant to be an allusion to air planes. That last part, is false, and there's nothing to suggest that this route isn't in fact a natural desert.

Last edited:
Outrage, your points are all valid, and I conceed to them, but you've sorta swerved off topic here. We both have. This is a thread for theories, I have mine and you have yours. shall we carry on with what this thread is actually about?

Last edited:
It makes sense. It's entirely possible that the whole area from castelia and Nimbasa was a large city. But the brothers fighting would have destroyed a large portion of it in the middle and split the city into two different cities.

It makes sense. It's entirely possible that the whole area from castelia and Nimbasa was a large city. But the brothers fighting would have destroyed a large portion of it in the middle and split the city into two different cities.

Plus the whole NYC thing just adds to it. You know, how NYC is big and Castelia's based on lower Manhattan. Nimbasa could be upper Manhattan but I digress.

I think that Pokemon did not mean anything by it, they just weren't looking at what it really meant.

Yeah, I'm sure Gamefreak's not insensitive that they'd make a 9/11 reference in a game which takes place in some land based on NYC.

Looking at Outrage's arguments, I'm inclined to agree with him over what cracked says.

Agree with Outrage.

To be honest, I'm not even sure about Unova being fully based on NY. I know, GameFreak said that themselves, but I think they were talking about architecture, skyscrappers and else rather than location. The geography is completely different.

It's like how TVTropes was reporting unfortunate implications for Professor Juniper continuing her father's research, making it seem like she only got the job because her father was a Professor.
That's not what happened. I edited the TVTropes article to include the "Female Success is Family" trope in reference to Professor Juniper, because it's 100% true: The only female professor in the series is also the only professor stated to have learned the trade from her father. This is an undeniable fact. What you want to take away from this fact is on you and you alone.

That's not what happened. I edited the TVTropes article to include the "Female Success is Family" trope in reference to Professor Juniper, because it's 100% true: The only female professor in the series is also the only professor stated to have learned the trade from her father. This is an undeniable fact. What you want to take away from this fact is on you and you alone.
It's a trade involving a PhD and likely a large amount of research papers, not something that one easily accomplishes because they are related to a professor. Though judging from what I see in university, connections like that certainly helps, so I guess that trope certainly does apply. Then there's the fact that Cedric Juniper seems to be held in higher regard than his daughter, would be interesting to see if the gender roles were switched and Juniper Sr. was female and guided her son as he became a scientist. Juniper Sr. does seem to take the role that Oak takes with the other Professors in other games.

She may be the only female going by the title of 'Professor', but is certainly not the only prominent female researcher in that game, with Fennel and Lenora being scientists as well, and while we no nothing of Fennel's family, Lenora too was inspired by her father to become a researcher, except her father was a miner who occasionally dug up bones. It's not as if Juniper is the only exemplar of females who found success in academics in the series.

I also hear she was supposed to originally be a man, so that whole 'learning from the father' may have also applied to the male-version Juniper, but they decided to change her to a female, but not take that part out leading it to be more of a case of unfortunate implications rather than blatant sexism if that were the case.

Last edited:
I also hear she was supposed to originally be a man, so that whole 'learning from the father' may have also applied to the male-version Juniper, but they decided to change her to a female, but not take that part out leading it to be more of a case of unfortunate implications rather than blatant sexism if that were the case.
I'd say that Cedric was going to be the professor, but then some of the Game Freak staff wanted to do something new, so they decided to replace him with his daughter. Since Cedric had already been designed, he was kept around for some parts of the story.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom