• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Watch a More "Adult" Version of the Pokemon Anime?

Rather than filling the series with more "mature" things like swearing, blood and violence, I'd rather the writers gave it a deeper story. They can easily give a character an emotional backstory without going into the mature audience area. Heck, the games are still loved by all ages and aren't scared to mention death (Mother Marowak, Onix in Sevii Island, Alder's Pokémon). The Team Galactic finale in the anime was pretty epic, and that still an awesome watch for me despite Cyrus not cracking skulls, swearing like a trooper and raping hookers.

I felt the recent Litwick episode was too dark for Pokémon. In another show, it would have been mild, but in Pokémon? Didn't fit.

I don't know why, but I'd like a spinoff of the anime that's more "shoujo" based, with emphasis on the characterization and development of females and women and girls...

If anything I'd want to watch something where he would actually have matured as a trainer, and become the likes of Flint, Lance, and Cynthia.

- A new main character in his teens
Maybe, it could either mean a freshier cooler character or a whiny teen :look:

- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters
Absolutely.

- More brutal villains
Not "brutal", but with better character depelovement and backstories.

- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)
No.

- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot
I don't think so, I don't want it to become a soup opera ¬¬

- More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"
Of course.

A new main character in his teens
Yes
Actual back stories and more depth to the characters
YES!
More brutal villains
Only if they don't go too far, which in today's world can mean almost anything...
Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)
Kinda, just not so much that it's overbearing
Romantic themes interwoven in the plot
Yes. I honestly don't get why people don't want this in a series like Pokemon. As long as it doesn't take the entire focus of the show away from the actual Pokemon, romance can be a great thing for it. Try going through life w/ out having interest in atleast 1 person or seeing somebody else expressing interest in someone else. It would make things more real, IMO.
More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"
YES! This "goal" makes sense in the games...kinda. But once you've caught all of the Pokemon, what can you do? Keep them stuck in your PC? In the anime this is even more ridiculous, seeing as things like ranches, farms, & large fields are needed to keep only so many Pokemon healthy & living, not to mention the large number of them needing to be fed & taken care of. I don't even see this being possible in the current anime at all.....

"Adult" as in having a deeper plot than just the basic capture, get gym badges, beat rival etc, then yes.

If it's just swearing, violence, gore, what have you, then no.

Last edited:
Looking down the list, surprisingly, I'd have to say no. It was meant to be a kid's series and I wouldn't have it any other way. It just doesn't feel right.
Swearing, sex, gore, definitely not.

- A new main character in his teens
I guess. I don't mind 10 year old Ash, but if there was someone else a bit older (Oh wait, we did. His name's Brock).
Well, yeah, but give this whoever more spotlight.

- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters
Actually, no. I favor the Audience Surrogate, a character that is easy to relate to. I want to think that requires being somewhat minimal in characterization.
Certainly, at least, it would mean having the character do what most (casual) players would do. And Ash does at times.

- More brutal villains
We already have Cyrus and Ghetsis. That's pushing it as it is for Pokémon. Otherwise, it wouldn't feel the same.

- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)
Sorta yes, sorta no, definite No, and No! Excess violence and blood aren't necessary, but having things besides trees be destroyed would add a bit of realism/deconstruction.
(but then came the Tentacool episode and its troubles, so we know it'll never happen again)

- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot
The series already has the biggest potential for pairings, with literally billions out of the 'Mons alone.
Go for it, but don't delve too far into it like Rumiko Takahashi.

- More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"
A "Save the world" plot is clichéd and overused to hell and back, but it still fits very perfectly to hold off "Pokémon Master" to save the lives of others as you do in the games.

"Tentacool and Tentacruel" got banned on Kids WB after 9/11, I think.

No it didn't. It got temporarily removed from airing (together with Tower of Terror) for a year or so following the WTC incident.

Temporarily. From one channel. In one country. I doubt the producers of the show even know it happened, and it's definitely nothing they would "make something not happen again" from, whatever you meant by that.

I said, "I think." As in, "I didn't know all the details."
With that, I also withdraw the other half of the statement. If they want to destroy a big city, than do it. But doing much more than extra violence and a few actual casualties would make the show seem too different.

I said, "I think." As in, "I didn't know all the details."
With that, I also withdraw the other half of the statement. If they want to destroy a big city, than do it. But doing much more than extra violence and a few actual casualties would make the show seem too different.
W/ BW023 & BW024 (i think those are the ones) still being lost somewhere, i doubt stuff like that will happen. Atleast not for a very long time.

I wouldn't mind a show with deep, philosophical undertones that make you think. Join Ash as he ponders the meaning of life, and faces the selfish desires he never knew he had!

I'd give it a shot just like I did with Yu-gi-oh GX
Now there's an idea: Pokemon battles on motorcycles! Ash could have ridiculously spiky-multicolored hair! He would live on the bad side of Pallet Town, after Gary Oak betrayed him.

Nothing says "adult" (or edgy) like a giant Les Miserables-esque story.

Personally I would like an anime based on the manga.

It's far more mature than the anime and having a character based on Red would be great.

Thats all you really need to do to make it more mature imo.

Now there's an idea: Pokemon battles on motorcycles! Ash could have ridiculously spiky-multicolored hair! He would live on the bad side of Pallet Town, after Gary Oak betrayed him.

lol, you're thinking of 5DS. I'm just saying that everything should be given a chance.

W/ BW023 & BW024 (i think those are the ones) still being lost somewhere, i doubt stuff like that will happen. Atleast not for a very long time.

They're not "lost", they were just put on hold for a while. TV Tokyo has repeatedly stated the episodes will be aired, just not right now.

They're not "lost", they were just put on hold for a while. TV Tokyo has repeatedly stated the episodes will be aired, just not right now.

Considering Japan won't ever be fully recovered from the disaster, you have to wonder how much later they'll be held off. What happens when the eps get up to the second Team Plasma ep in BW, whenever that is? Will they hold over that ep too?

No. Just no. That show is doing sadly in America, and is doing average in Japan. I don't want Pokemon to attempt to destroy itself way that franchise has over the years.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom