• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Ash's friends made the least impact on his journey?

Who least impacted Ash's journey?

• Total voters
Max had the least impact, as Ash can only train the life force and abilities of trainers.

Or maybe Todd Snap, if he counts.

Brock because he did nothing for seasons
*wants to revote*

Just curious, but for those of you choosing May/Max on the poll, are you choosing both of them or just one? (which I would assume is Max)

Because even though I liked the AG group, at this point it really does feel like May was never there.
Blame the writers for doing a second coordinator and dropping the first story.

Just curious, but for those of you choosing May/Max on the poll, are you choosing both of them or just one? (which I would assume is Max)

Gee, I wonder why you put Max along with May, it couldn't possible so we only have the one person you want everyone to vote for...

I voted for Max, not May, but Max.
LOL, DANG!!! You already mentioned that we can't choose Tracy. I can't comment on Iris or Cilan to BW is over, then i'll know for sure. Brock and Ash are like brothers and Ash learned as much from Brock as he did from any of his battles. Misty traveled with Ash for a long time and while she didn't have as big of an impact as Brock she definitely left her mark. So, i'm gonna say May and Max, but only because you have them together. If they were single it would be just Max.
Max, but only because he's like seven years old and apparently can't own dangerous fighting monsters called Pokemon (even though people that are ten years old can).

But why put Max and May together? They have no right to do be together, apart from the fact that they're siblings of course.
Max, yes, but i can't vote on him knowing that i'll be voting on May too

BAD idea.
I'd vote for Max, but that would be voting down May as well.
Try reading the posts in your own threads, Gliscor'd.

Max is my choice as well.

Last edited:
Iris doesn't seem to impact Ash much but her attitude makes Ash respond with anger sometimes. You know, with the "What did you say?!" and such.

Cilan and Brock pretty much teach and tell Ash things that he doesn't realize.

Misty sometimes gets Ash a little moody or vice versa so they are both important to group.

Dawn is not on the poll, but she is still impacting anyway. "No need to worry" keeps Ash constantly moving on.

May and Max don't really get Ash emotional. Sometimes, but not often.

Max was basically a smartass that couldn't help,but that would mean voting May tooo so Misty went cause IO dun't like her

I felt like Max left very little impact on Ash. He didn't really test his patience aside from the beginning of AG or bring any emotion out of him, teach him anything important, or inspire any new techniques (which is due to his not having any Pokémon). That isn't to say he was a bad or unnecessary character, though; he just wasn't meant for this purpose.

It is because there is no individual poll button for Max, since in your view, he appears to "share" all elements of May's spotlight and achievements since they are siblings.

Overall Max has interacted very little with Ash. There were two scenarios for Max. Either he had a fight with May over a trivial matter, and the two of them reconciled at the end of the episode. Or Max and Brock collaborated to assist the group in finding specific locations or introducing certain individuals to the other main characters.

Meanwhile, we do know that May has interacted with Ash on the majority of their journey. They had the first two episodes of AG completely to themselves, for example. May and Ash fought in tag battles on more than one occassion, etc.

Try reading the posts in your own threads, Gliscor'd.
Max is my choice as well.

Let's be honest here, May/Max were treated as a set by the writers all the way until May's DP cameo, when she showed up alone. Max's existence on the show was only justified by being related to May. If he was some random kid who had no relation to any other main character, he's seem even more odd as to why he was there.

When you actually stop to think of it, they're the characters least likely to remain in contact with Ash in the future. There's a reason the writers made sure May traveled to the same region as her rivals, yet with Dawn, they didn't do that. (we don't know where either Zoey or Kenny went, they didn't drill it into our heads)

And for the most part, for anyone who wasn't around during AG, you can arguably say May and/or Max feel like they never happened. There was no long lasting impact. May's story was much more separated from Ash's than Dawn's was.

I think this is why the DP trio focused on the Ash/Dawn friendship so much, they realized May's story drifted from Ash's a lot during mid-Hoenn and instead of having her own short mini-series or special, she was just there to be the token girl of the group.

Shame, I suppose. I liked the AG group, but I will not pretend that May and/or Max's interactions with Ash will have made an impact or stood out more than any of the other characters, except for Tracey.

For the poll, it's Max. I can't really decide if Tracey or Max were any less influential than each other. It may technically still be Max since Tracey was part of the group dynamic in Orange Islands, and did help at times. Be that as it may, his presence was still minor.

6 meaningful votes for Brock on this poll. WTF? Do any of you even watch this show?

I guess since DP Brock is the one most recent on everyones mind, they forgot how much Brock helped Ash when he was a newbie. Since DP Ash was very experienced, Ash rarely needed Brock for help and he'd already outgrown him as a mentor.

However Kanto/Johto Brock did help Ash a lot as we all know.

Gliscor'd, I'm just not sure how what anything you just said has anything to do with my reply to your question. Whether you think it's fair to judge May and Max as individuals or not, it doesn't change the fact that Max is the reason everyone who voted for the pair did it for him alone - which was what you were asking.

I just think people are misreading this thread. Cilan/Iris have had the least impact on him, though I guess they've only been around for a little while so people aren't voting for them - or they are just voting for the 'least interesting' characters.

I will never understand people.

I just think people are misreading this thread. Cilan/Iris have had the least impact on him, though I guess they've only been around for a little while so people aren't voting for them - or they are just voting for the 'least interesting' characters.

....Cilan and Iris have just began travelling with Ash, they shouldn't even be in the poll.
Max had the least impact.

But they are in the poll, and they have had the least impact. So therefore they should get the most votes. It doesn't matter if they are new - that have had the smallest impact on Ash's journey.

Brock

I'd say Max/Tracey. Even Iris is a better impact on Ash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom