• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wii successor to be shown at E3: Nintendo to unveil next home console in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my Wii for Pokepark, Battle Revolution, and Internet Channel, and I don't really need a better one. But, meh, we don't need most of what we have anyway (Minus our DSes XO)

I will be recording the Nintendo Spotlight on my DVR. I can't wait for them to unveil their next surprises.

Nintendo figured out with the Wii and DS (and the N64 and Gamecube, I guess) that being ahead of Microsoft and Sony in some innovative way will make up for differences in features or graphics capability. Don't expect to see a console that only updates the graphics and motion controls. This new console will have something special that will differentiate it from the Wii and competing consoles.

I will be recording the Nintendo Spotlight on my DVR. I can't wait for them to unveil their next surprises.

Nintendo figured out with the Wii and DS (and the N64 and Gamecube, I guess) that being ahead of Microsoft and Sony in some innovative way will make up for differences in features or graphics capability. Don't expect to see a console that only updates the graphics and motion controls. This new console will have something special that will differentiate it from the Wii and competing consoles.

It has a screen in a controller:

800px-Sega-dreamcast-set.png

I hope Gamecube games and controllers will still be compatible but I expect they won't be because it would be very expensive to be able to play games from 3 consoles which I think is why new PS3s can play PS1 games but not PS2 games and the original DS and DS lite can play GBA games but not Game Boy or Game Boy Colour games. I think this will be the home console which the 3DS connects to. On the 3DS there is a function in the settings called Transfer DSi Data. Has that become useable with the update which released today? If it has does it allowed you to keep the DSiWare on the DSi? I would like something like this for the Virtual Console and WiiWare for the new console.

Last edited:
I hope Gamecube games and controllers will still be compatible but I expect they won't be because it would be very expensive to be able to play games from 3 consoles which I think is why new PS3s can play PS1 games but not PS2 games and the original DS and DS lite can play GBA games but not Game Boy or Game Boy Colour games. I think this will be the home console which the 3DS connects to.

That was because the PS3 could emulate the PS1, but the PS2 BC required PS2 parts, the early models had a whole PS2 integrated on the motherboard, later models were down to the GPU, then it was removed. This new console is PPC based, and the Cube = Wii.

The DS also lacked the Z80 used for BC.

I expect other people are also watching E3. The console is called Wii U and the controller has a touch screen. Will there be discs for this console or will they be inserted into the original Wii?

Last edited:
>Wii U

I love Ninty and all, but GODDAMN that is the worst console name ever.

Looks expensive. Maybe I can buy it, though... after 10 years. Yay!

Last edited:
>Wii U

I love Ninty and all, but GODDAMN that is the worst console name ever.

I expect that the Wii U's name won't change but normally the names of Nintendo consoles change after they are first revealed like the Gamecube was called the Dolphin, the Wii was called the Revolution and the Nintendo 64 was called Project Reality.

Wii U (lol) looks good...but that price right now is crazy. I learned my lesson when my friend got the first Wii and PS3, not gonna waste all that money on an expensive paperweight just yet.

Wii= We [play together], U= you [play by yourself]

Well, the name does fit Nintendo's new marketing campaign. The company needed to find a way to appeal to casual players who want to play socially, and those core players who love playing individual games. I always found it a bother to stop playing a video game if another person around me asks me to stop the game so they can watch television. Even though the set-up is not perfect (the Wii U controller must be within some designated space in order for it to work alongside the console), the console is the first step to reach that level of interactivity.

Right now it is alright, I guess. After 5 years, Nintendo has finally made it across the HD gaming finish line. I am surprised, however, that Nintendo is deciding to work with third-party developers to work on shooters and "mature" games such as Battlefield 3 to integrate with the system. I was under the impression that Nintendo wanted to be a "family friendly" company; now it seems that they are trying their best to keep up with the competition.

Most of the "games" featured alongside the Wii U console were prototypes and demonstrations. The Super Mario Bros. demo was called "Super Mario Bros. Mii" (as the Mii character, you are playing alongside the game characters). There were also graphical demonstrations of a player throwing a shuriken across several bamboo poles as the camera rotates, playing a Wii Sports-esque baseball game, and something akin to golf.

The Nintendo conference revealed that there were some games, such as something in the "Lego City" series, already in development for the system. There is nothing first-party revealed yet.

I expect that the Wii U's name won't change but normally the names of Nintendo consoles change after they are first revealed like the Gamecube was called the Dolphin, the Wii was called the Revolution and the Nintendo 64 was called Project Reality.

The Dolphin was a codename, and the N64 was called the Ultra 64 at first.

[video=youtube;eKlbx5niBu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlbx5niBu8[/video]

[video=youtube;gF-fAWgP710]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-fAWgP710[/video]

Oh, and all were tech demos, PC versions, or 360 versions. Heck, the Ghost Recon demo even left the "www.fraps.com" in the top.

The Wii U's codename was Project Cafe, fyi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom