• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In Which Generation Did You Start Playing Pokémon, and what was your first game?

In Which Generation Did You Start Playing Pokémon? (Updated to Gen IX)

• Total voters
I started in gen 3. I would've started in gens 1&2 but I didn't because I thought all the kids at school would tease me for liking Pokemon. But by 5th grade came around I just didn't give a crap anymore and finally decided to get emerald. And I've been a fan ever since.

I started with Generation 3 and my first game was Sapphire back in 2003 when I was only 7 years old! I have many other Pokémon games as well, too. The only one I'm missing is Gold. I don't actually own all the Pokémon games I have because, for example, I got Diamond while my brother got Pearl and I got HeartGold while my brother got SoulSilver. Still, I use his games for trades and stuff.

Gen IV, with Pokemon Diamond. But before that I was already watching the anime, but I had no gameboy. ):

When I was three I started to play Pokémon. It was in Generation I, and my first Pokémon game was Pokémon Yellow.

It was way back when Generation I was in its peak... and it all started with a copy of Pokémon Red and a Game Boy Pocket. Wow, it's been a long time since then, huh?

I actually first started playing in generation I, playing my friend's Red Version. My first Pokemon game was Stadium for N64, and my first main series game was Fire Red.

I first started playing Pokémon in Generation I, but I can't remember which game I got first because I got both Red and Blue around the same time.

My first game was a Yellow that didn't work!!! So after that it was Blue, Crystal & Silver, then Ruby.

Generation 2 here. Gen 3, my BEST region (Go Sceptile!! :D)

But, I started in Gen 2, and had a Feraligatr (Which I have kept) ^^

My cousins and I often spent days together working on our/technically their Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Stadium. Though I later bought both Yellow and Red, the first ones I owned were Silver and Gold. I could never get into Gold though, for some odd reason, so it was mainly Silver until Crystal came out. My obsession with Meganium began there and I haven't been able to shake it since! I've had to get at least one generational game since.

My first was Blue, and to tell you the truth I was annoyed it wasn't Red since I'm a die hard Charizard fan.

First game was Blue, and my starter was Bulbasaur, I believe because it was called 'easy to raise' (and my favourite colour is green :ksmile:). Only in subsequent playthroughs would I come to appreciate exactly how much frustration I saved myself at the hands of Misty's Starmie... seriously, that thing was almost like the Whitney's Miltank of RBY.

Eventually I ended up buying both Red and Yellow as well, though. Yellow became my next main game after Blue when it was released, and Red was kinda a dump cartridge. Y'know, one that I just put random unloved Pokémon in, and one that I restarted multiple times for TMs and PP UPs. I was a freak about legitimacy, and I didn't own an AR or GameShark either. Mostly I just didn't want to screw up my Hall of Fame, but when a friend I had offered to allow me to catch a Mew, I found out that it did the same thing anyway. I also had Stadium, and we battled on there a lot. I less than three Dodrio Tower, it made grinding so much easier. Incidentally, I found out that if you beat the Elite Four enough times, if you have only used AR or seen Missingno (I never caught it), you can unglitch it.

The same friend brought me back Silver from his holiday in the US, a full 6 months before it was released in the UK! Hey, when you're young and already emulating the Japanese version of Gold, and fervently reading on Serebii, 6 months is a big deal. Especially when Gen II was such a colossal improvement over Gen I in almost every way.

Since then, though, I only emulated each new release in each new Gen out of curiosity, and I haven't played B/W yet. Except now I'm kind of making up for lost time - I got myself a GBA and Emerald so I could trade with the XD I picked up, and my DS Lite and copy of Platinum should be arriving within the week. Works out well for me, as all things going as planned I'll be staying away from home for a few nights due to work. Perfect excuse to break it in :p

It's a bit confusing, my story (everything about me is confusing :p). My first game system was an old Nintendo 64 that I got in 2003. Included were, among other games, Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Generation III was released in North America in 2003, probably after I got the N64. My first main series games, however, came with a GameBoy Color my mom got at a garage sale in 2004. The GameBoy came with Silver, Gold, and Yellow. This was surely after Generation III came to North America, as I specifically remember kids at my school playing Sapphire and Ruby. The game I picked up and played first out of that bunch was Silver.

So yeah, I was introduced in Generation III, but my first games were Generation I, and my first main series game was Generation II. So I voted for Generation II. :ksmile:

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom