• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW050 - Raimon Gym! Magnificent Electric Shock Battle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW049 + BW050 - Kamiture and the 4th Gym!

I don't really care about Tranquil here to be honest, even if she is in bad need of a gym. She can star in the 6th Gym. Snivy, at least IMO needs one here. Oshawott, and Tepig have been used in two gyms already so they could use a little break.

I know you're right. Oshawot doesn't need this pacific gym. It can hold on abit. This is not like in the past when Ash got to the third and fourth gym when didn't have six Pokemon. He now has plenty and doesn't have an excuse.

Its funny because the general opinion is none of the BW Gym battles have been all that good. Its a massive step down from DP's Gym battles.

I am hoping this one can turn things around, but for some reason the battling choreography has gotten worse this gen. Makes you wonder how, given its the same exact writers.

Its funny because the general opinion is none of the BW Gym battles have been all that good. Its a massive step down from DP's Gym battles.

You seem to be forgetting about Lenora, who was able to take advantage of switching out her pokemon and pulled off that Roar + Mean Look combo that stumped Ash twice. Her Watchog was able to disrupt Oshawott's Scalchop manuevers using Thunderbolt and Low Kick, and her Lillipup/Herdier was a stronger version of Gardenia's Turtwig. It was interesting how the writers didn't use the brute force approach when they constructed her battle.

The problem with DP was that all of the gym leaders were ridiculously overpowered to a fault. While the battles were entertaining, it was ridiculous how powerful and resilient some of these gym leaders's pokemon, like Roark's Cranidos or Maylene's Lucario, were. For example, Crasher Wake's Gyarados was able to resist Pikachu's Thunderbolt and took very little damage from it.

I know you're right. Oshawot doesn't need this pacific gym. It can hold on abit. This is not like in the past when Ash got to the third and fourth gym when didn't have six Pokemon. He now has plenty and doesn't have an excuse.

The writers have given Ash enough incentive to use Oshawott in this particular gym over the course of the past dozen episodes. Oshawott was training to resist Electric-type attacks using his Scalchop in BW028. Oshawott mastered its Aqua Jet attack in BW033. Oshawott had sent himself out in the previous gym battle, and Ash had promised the pokemon that it will be used some other time.

I wouldn't really like Oshawott being used here tbqh. I mean he stared in the first gym, and was used in the second gym. Tepig was used in the first, second, and third gyms. Snivy has been used in none. She really needs it here. As for the others...Pikachu is obviously going to get used unfortunately, and the third is Palpitoad.

Hasn't it already been confirmed that palpitoad is being used... or am i going crazy..?

Hasn't it already been confirmed that palpitoad is being used... or am i going crazy..?

Nothing about these episodes have been confirmed yet outside of their titles and airdates.

The writers have given Ash enough incentive to use Oshawott in this particular gym over the course of the past dozen episodes. Oshawott was training to resist Electric-type attacks using his Scalchop in BW028. Oshawott mastered its Aqua Jet attack in BW033. Oshawott had sent himself out in the previous gym battle, and Ash had promised the pokemon that it will be used some other time.

Oshawott doesn't have to be used in almost every gym just like Pikachu shouldn't be. It's that simple. Since Ash has quite a few Pokemon to train as well, let's not act like Ash only carries two Pokemon. I don't care if the writers like to glorify the starters for promotion or not. It's not fair.

Last edited:

Staff info, via 2ch:
BW49
Screenplay: Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
Storyboard: Takaomi Kanezaki
Assistant Director: Fumihiro Yoshimura (Same as Tabunne episode)
Animation Director: Takashi Shinohara (Ditto)

BW050
Screenplay: Junki Takegami
Storyboard: Hiromasa Amano
Assistant Director: Ken'ichi Nishida
Animation Director: Mizuho Tajima (same as the last Gym battle)

So they used up their better animators on the Subway 2-parter while poor Kamitsure gets the shaft, just as I feared.

So they used up their better animators on the Subway 2-parter while poor Kamitsure gets the shaft, just as I feared.
Oh man, that is such a shame. I don't remember much about the last gym battle except Arti looked really off, and Shinohara is my least favorite BW animator. :( Sad. I hope Oohashi will write a fun pre-battle episode though.

Animation is a huge factor towards a good battle episode for me, so going by how the last one turned out, my interest in this has dropped significantly.
That said, Iwane gyms are kind of rare, so my expectations weren't all that high in the first place. Shame they couldn't have saved Shimura for it, as she's more than qualified to direct a good looking brawl.

What is this I don't even......

So basically the important episodes aren't as important to the writers. Sigh, I guess we'll be seeing Tobias again in the league.

Animation is a huge factor towards a good battle episode for me, so going by how the last one turned out, my interest in this has dropped significantly.
That said, Iwane gyms are kind of rare, so my expectations weren't all that high in the first place. Shame they couldn't have saved Shimura for it, as she's more than qualified to direct a good looking brawl.
True, I was really looking forward to seeing Kamitsure and the Gym match with her until the staff info surfaced. Though we don't know about the other 4 Gyms yet, it seems that OLM just doesn't have them very high on their priority list this time around, seeing how only the first BW Gym match(es) got good animators.

In DP, by contrast, there were 3 Gym match episodes done by Iwane (Melissa/Fantina, Tougan/Byron, and before that the initial match with Hyouta/Roark), while Natsume did Suzuna/Candice's Gym episode. Shimura did the rematch with Hyouta as well Gym episodes with Natane, Sumomo/Maylene and Denji/Volkner; this left poor Maxi/Wake stuck with the abomination that was Takeda.

I'll reiterate that we don't know who is/will be in charge of the last four Gym Leaders. Maybe they'll put Natsume and/or Iwane in charge of all of them to make up for that last three? *crosses fingers*

What? I hate the animation director for Elesa's debut, I hope the story makes up for it and after the Battle Subway episodes, I hope Team Rocket don't appear in these episodes.

Assuming that BW049 will just be the introduction episode, Ohashi is guaranteed to bring us quite a few laughs. I am glad that Ohashi isn't writing the gym battle (for those who complained at how the last gym battle turned out).

Takegami is a decent writer who was able to construct decent battles in the past. Considering that Takegami wrote the episode when Oshawott attempted to deflect Electric-type attacks with his Scalchop, as well as the episode when Oshawott perfected his Aqua Jet, I won't be surprised if it turns out that Oshawott will be used in this gym.

So basically the important episodes aren't as important to the writers.

The two Subway episodes that will air next week, which have been building up over the past few weeks, are very important. It is obvious that Iwane cannot animate every single episode.

BW049:
Satoshi and the Pokemon Trainer, Bel, head to Raimon Gym, aiming for a total of four Gym Badges obtained by winning over Gym Leaders in Pokemon Gyms.
The Raimon Gym Gym Leader is the Electric-Type-controlling Favourite Model; Kamitsure. But in the Gym awaits Bel's father...
BW050:
Satoshi, whose Gym battle team Members exclude Pikachu, opposes Kamitsure's "Thunder, Lightning Pokemon", Zebraika, with his "Shocks Pokemon", Gamagaru, who is not affected by Electric Attacks.

...did someone say Gym?

So it looks like Bianca's father is appearing after all. I was hoping for that. Yay for Bianca development!

As for the gym, Palpitoad is gonna be the fall guy. Just because.

Last edited:

BEL! OMG, I'm so happy they brought her dad problem storyline to the anime. Now I'm really excited for this episode!! <3

So it looks like Bianca's father is appearing after all. I was hoping for that. Yay for Bianca development!

As for the gym, Pikachu being used is no big surprise. I hope it doesn't star, please don't star. He doesn't need redemptiom because of his recent loss writers. I have a feeling Palpitoad is going to be the fall guy...just because. No word of Snivy is disappointing

Didn't the summary say Ash's team members excluded Pikachu meaning he's not battling in this? If that's the case then awesome, another spot for an opportunity to use a reserve.

Didn't the summary say Ash's team members excluded Pikachu meaning he's not battling in this? If that's the case then awesome, another spot for an opportunity to use a reserve.

Oh, my bad...completely misread. That is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom