• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LT Weekly Poll #1 Are the original 151 the best?

Are the original 151 the best?

• They are the very best, like no one ever was.

Votes: 50 29.6%
  • They all look the same to me.

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • No way! The newer Pokémon are way better!

Votes: 60 35.5%

• Total voters

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
Welcome to the first installment in the Lost Tower Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the older installments of the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott, and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: Are the original 151 the best? Both design wise and competetively (although mainly the former), Generation I's Pokémon are considered by some fans to be better than the other 498. Do you also believe this to be the case, or not?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

All generations had some good and some bad designs and ideas. If this were original 251 I would vote yes,but single generation based I would tie Gen.I with II and V. Gen.IV had about 60% of good Pokemon and Gen.III,in my opinion,less than 20% of really good Pokemon.

151 fans are either:
1. Bandwagon Jumpers
2. People stuck in 1999.

Lots of fandoms suffer from ruined forever, just look at all those Digimon "fans" on YouTube who complain every season after Adventure is balls just because of the character design.

Agreed. The people who say they like the original 151 best are welcome to their opinion, but when they say things like 'omg the new pokemon are so ugly durr durr overdesigned uncreative look like digimon blah blah', it's clear they don't really like Pokemon at all.

I have a friend who is one such person. :/ She REFUSES to pick up B/W and give it a chance because she says the new Pokemon are ugly and dumb and Pokemon should have stopped after 151 and omg misty and brock and ash.

They're PokeHipsters, really :/ You can't say you like a series if you're not willing to give the later installments of said series a try.

I don't think I can personally vote for one of the three categories because I feel like they are a little too stiff. To me, personally, I really like all the pokemon. It is really hard for me to say I hate one just because I like the overall aspect of them all. Now as for memory, I might have to say I remember most about the original 151. Mainly because it was the first game that i played as a kid as well as got to see them in the anime. But I can't pick just one gen for me and say these pokemon are the best.

Nope. Sure, there were some terrific Pokémon in that first 151, but most of them pale in comparison to their successors in Gens II and III.
To be honest, though, it's a little (not that much, but a little) unfair to compare them to the later gens. This was the first game; obviously, there had to be some kinks to work out before they could really hit their stride and figure out what worked and what didn't. And, from a competitive standpoint, there was an asscrapload of stuff that they couldn't have anticipated (or maybe they could have, but that's beside the point), so it's only natural that a lot of them have been abondoned, repurposed, etc.

People that like the 151 best and say the series died after Gen II aren't fans. Like said before, Gen I had great designs (Gyarados, Charizard and Ninetails come to mind), but many of them sorta lacked, e.g. Dugtrio, just 3 Diglett together, and Magnemite-Magneton, just 3 Magnemite. If you are a 151 freak, chances are you haven't really looked at Gen V. All generations have good and bad designs. You can't peg Gen V, or ANY generation for that matter, for that reason and that reason alone.

Hm, generation to generation I'd have to say that they are. They had more Pokemon than any other Generation, tying with Unova, which sorta gives them the edge, but I just really liked most of them. Snorlax, my favorite mon, is part of this gen, which kinda gives it bonus points. The designs were more simple back then, which I prefer over the color splattered ones we have now. I like how they were closer to animals and nature too, instead of having more Pokemon based off of man-made things. Plus there's the whole nostalgic thing with it. The original 151 bring back a ton of memories.

In design: Some, not all
In battle: Some, not all

Going with no. I have my likes and dislikes from every generation, and while I adore Lapras to death, the originals are not the best.

I don't think those who don't like the series after a certain Generation aren't "true fans" if they have a reason for it. A few of my friends dropped the series because they didn't want to buy the next handheld (Gamboy Advance) to continue the series.

That said, I don't think any single Generation is the best because they all have some good Pokemon, and some horrible Pokemon.

I love Pokemon in general, but I gotta say... while the first 151 aren't the best, that's what I voted for because I am a sentimental old fool.

I prefer many of the newer Pokémon over the older ones, mostly because of design.

Nope, compared to the newer Pokemon, in terms of design, stats, and competitive use, they've lost some of their spark. Thankfully, some were given evolutions to keep up with the kids on the block, but your milage may vary depending on who you're talking to.

Mmm... I'm a speculative fan, so nostalgia for me is attached to our current gen, strange as that may sound. (Serperior shoulda been named Coilord! And I just recently came up with a good name for Ferrothorn! Ki-ah!)

Other than that, I try to look at pokemon individually. A good deal of designing and backstory went into making Gyarados, for example.

No. Some of them were excellent (Gyarados and Ninetales say hi) but overall I don't think so.

It's best not to get blinded by generations, to like Pokémon as they are, and to think of them as Pocket Monsters, rather than "Gen 3 crap". They have rights, and it really doesn't matter when the species was introduced, as long as it's a welcomed member of the community.

I always love the new Pokemon when they are created, but for me Pokemon all started from the original 151 and they really are the very best, like no one ever was XD

The first 151 probably had the best overall percentage of good pokemon. Even until this day, these old 'mons still find their way into many teams, including mine. And they ARE the ones that started it all. Some of my top favorites are 1st gen pokemon.
That being said, gen.1 did have alot of setbacks. The designs were a bit kiddy at times and really roughly designed when compared to the later generations. And let's not forget that 1st generation did have a number of problems in regards to controversy and legal problems (Jynx, Hypno, Alakazam, anyone?).
The later generations were almost always better designed and had much more emphasis on detail and making them balanced.
I respect the old but keep my eyes on the future.

Next poll should be which Generation had the best Pokemon designs, I think. I'd be curious to see what everybody thinks.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom