• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW050 - Raimon Gym! Magnificent Electric Shock Battle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhh my prediction might come true. Elesa will probably tell Ash that speed makes Electro Ball stronger seeing as how Emolga has both Agility and Electro ball in the preview.

Preview
Elesa and Ash in the Gym
Zebstrika vs Palpitoad
Palpitoad uses Mud Shot and Hydro Pump while Zebstrika uses an attack
Elesa posing and Emolga using Attract on Palpitoad
Emolga vs Snivy
Emolga hits Snivy with Aerial Ace multiple times
Pikachu uses Iron Tail and hits Tynamo with Thunderbolt

I do have a feeling that Snivy will lose this battle against Emolga a lot more now. It's a shame, but at least she's in her first gym, that's good.

Smash Preview.

[video=youtube;Imt4jU40CxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imt4jU40CxA&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

It looks like Zebstrika knows Take Down, or Double Edge. Maybe Double Edge.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah now that you've gotten your unnecessary "redemption",...Pikachu please stay out the next few gyms. Thanks.

Here's hoping Snivy is treated better in the next gym she's in, she really needs something gym wise.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Imt4jU40CxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imt4jU40CxA&feature=channel_video_title[/video]
Who will be the strongest in this unmissable battle!?
For reals!?

Thursday is Pocket Monsters: Best Wish!
This week is 'Raimon Gym! Magnificent Electric Battle!!'
Satoshi perfectly beats Kamiture's Electric-type Pokemon since he chose Gamagaru!
But then...

After a hard fight against Emonga,
Satoshi counters with his own Electric-type, Pikachu!
Just what is his strategy?!

It looks like Zebstrika knows Take Down, or Double Edge. Maybe Double Edge.

It's Quick Attack. Compare Zebstrika's animation in that scene with Pikachu's animation for Quick Attack and you'll notice that it is the same.

R.I.P Snivy though, may you shine another day.

Snivy was used in the second round of the Don Battle tournament not too long ago. She was also used by Ash in the Scrafty, Purrloin, and Battle Subway episodes.

Snivy was used in the second round of the Don Battle tournament not too long ago. She was also used by Ash in the Scrafty, Purrloin, and Battle Subway episodes.

I think he's talking about gym victories, not participation at all. And, at least for now, it wasn't snivy time. Maybe against one of Clay's pokemon.

And I can't figure why Ash have to not choose pikachu at first (despite the neutral type against this specific gym), just for the sake to have the rat throwing a tantrum and forcing its participation...

It's Quick Attack. Compare Zebstrika's animation in that scene with Pikachu's animation for Quick Attack and you'll notice that it is the same.

Animations aren't always different, look at Wild Charge and Volt Tackle. Plus, Zebstrika is covered in white, Pokemon like Pidove and Pikachu have trails of light behind them, that's different and I think a strong Pokemon like Zebstrika should have something like Double Edge. So it's up in the air.

Strategy? What strategy?

Well, to be fair, Satoshi is using three pokémon that have resistance against electrical attacks in this battle. He is using a ground type to counter Zebraika, he is using Tsutarja to counter Emonga's attract and he is using Pikachu to counter Shibishirasu. It's not like he's carrying the idiot ball here.

While I agree with you that Tsutarja was used recently, she didn't really star in any of the episodes you've mentioned, and nowhere did we really see Tsutarja challenged as a character by these battles. This episode had the potential to really let us see more of Tsutarja being challenged not as a fighter but as a character and really have a character moment, à la Naetle in Hyouta's gym, Buizel in Sumomo's gym or Goukazaru in Denzi's gym. Tsutarja has yet to have that one defining moment, whereas Pikachu has had ton of it so it feels very underwhelming to see it starring yet again in a battle like this.

Also, did anyone notice that Pikachu seemed to be aiming at something on the ground at the end of the Smash preview and when the smoke clears, Shibishirasu is floating next to Kamiture. So was is Emonga on the ground?

Also, did anyone notice that Pikachu seemed to be aiming at something on the ground at the end of the Smash preview and when the smoke clears, Shibishirasu is floating next to Kamiture. So was is Emonga on the ground?

I paused it, and it's not hitting anything. So I'm guessing Ash is using his usual manipulate/destroy battlefield tactic for some reason.

I paused it, and it's not hitting anything. So I'm guessing Ash is using his usual manipulate/destroy battlefield tactic for some reason.

Causing smoke that confuses and stops Shibishibaru from using its speed... Oh mai... a strategy is forming :p

While I agree with you that Tsutarja was used recently, she didn't really star in any of the episodes you've mentioned, and nowhere did we really see Tsutarja challenged as a character by these battles. This episode had the potential to really let us see more of Tsutarja being challenged not as a fighter but as a character and really have a character moment, à la Naetle in Hyouta's gym, Buizel in Sumomo's gym or Goukazaru in Denzi's gym. Tsutarja has yet to have that one defining moment, whereas Pikachu has had ton of it so it feels very underwhelming to see it starring yet again in a battle like this.

True, but what good would this have done since Snivy would have been treated in the same way as she was when she was first captured? Snivy has a lot of personality, but she doesn't have any true "flaws" in her battling or her demeanor.

For what it is worth, Snivy is never truly a pokemon that deserves to star in a gym battle for the sake of it. Unlike Tepig and Oshawott, Snivy wasn't presented with a real conflict to her battling style or her training. In terms of battling strength and finesse, Snivy was a head above the other two starter pokemon, yet cannot compete against stronger evolved pokemon. This wasn't a major issue or a mishap; Snivy is simply limited in strength due to her restrictions as an unevolved pokemon.

Also, unlike the other two starter pokemon, Snivy's moveset had not changed, further indicating that the writers were not planning to do anything with Snivy as far as characterization or development goes. Regardless, Snivy battled very often in a short period of time, often using the same attack patterns with sequences of Attract, Leaf Storm, and Leaf Blade. Snivy is a serious and focused pokemon, especially in battle, but is not as motivated in battle as Buizel.

I do agree that Pikachu has received massive focus in past gym battles in not only the previous region, but also the Johto and Hoenn regions as well. Pikachu may have learned one new attack (Electro Ball) in Unova, but he has been used in many battles as well in this saga.

That's the main problem with Pikachu and Snivy, and to a lesser extent, Oshawott and Tepig. The writers insist on showcasing the mascot pokemon for the sake of advertising. I am glad that Ash is actually using one of his non-mascot pokemon (Palpitoad); the pokemon's usage will be justified since Palpitoad is immune to Electric-type damage. Of course, Palpitoad will fall due to Attract.

If it were not for the matches in the Don Battle, I would have been more excited by Ash's "unique" lineup for this match. This is Palpitoad and Snivy's first gym battle. This is also Palpitoad's third official battle under Ash's ownership. Alas, we've seen everything that needed to be seen from Ash's lineup in this battle. Now it's just speculating which of Ash's pokemon defeat whom.

Snivy may have been included in this gym battle

I'm guessing it will go something like this unfortunately:

Palpitoad vs Zebstrika
Palpitoad vs Emonga
Snivy vs Emonga
Pikachu vs Emonga
Pikachu vs Shibishirasu

I'm glad we're getting some signs of old Ash here assuming he has some plan with the battlefield destruction, since he's been very "attack head on" oriented this season. It seems that he's more of the latter outside of gym battles.

True, but what good would this have done since Snivy would have been treated in the same way as she was when she was first captured?

We're talking about two different things here. You're talking about Tsutarja developing in the gym battle while I'm talking about a character moment, something that makes a character stand out in battle, makes them memorable, which Tsutarja hasn't really received so far. This episode could have been that moment for Tsutarja. So far, Tsutarja has had two wins where she didn't really struggle, and one curbstomp loss, but we've yet to see Tsutarja struggle in a battle, having time to think about it, having to overcome things, and gym battles are the perfect occasion based on the caliber of opponent and the time that the writers have at their disposal for the battle itself.

Snivy has a lot of personality, but she doesn't have any true "flaws" in her battling or her demeanor.

Tsutarja started strong in the personality department but we haven't seen nuances, we haven't seen that personality been challenged and this episode could've done that.

We know she doesn't really trust humans and trainers, we know Shooti said Tsutarja needed to evolve and become stronger, and now we have Kamiture, good trainer, uses strategy that makes Tsutarja's usual tactics not work, Tsutarja is facing an Emonga that possesses flying attacks. All the odds are stacked against the character, tough foe ahead... there's the moment. There's the moment where Tsutarja's character, her determination, her fighting spirit could have been tested. How would Tsutarja have reacted? Would she have initially refused to listen to Satoshi, only to realize that she can't win without his help? Would she have trusted Satoshi completely and her desire to win for the trainer who really believed in her would have helped her evolve? Would she have refused to evolve altogether and found the inner strenght to defeat her opponent?

Ultimately those moments are what's missing this saga to Satoshi's team. Who are they as characters? We don't really know. And that's what I'm disappointed in. Here, in this episode, we seem to be getting this from Pikachu who quite frankly doesn't need it.

I'm glad we're getting some signs of old Ash here assuming he has some plan with the battlefield destruction, since he's been very "attack head on" oriented this season.

I hope the writers bring the battles back to the high standard set by DP. I think that using the terrain to whip up a cloud of smoke is a step in that direction.

I'm disappointed that snivy isn't evolving here! It was the perfect oppurtunity! At least to get a gym win! Cause the only gym were it will have some more chances to evolve and show strenght is Clay's gym! Maybe in Drayden but I think some othe Pokes are gone star there!
I like Palpitoad and his evolution is great and it has a lot potential to strenght up! I'm glad that it gets the win against "Zebrakemon"! But it's there
Pikachu had enough evolution and strong fights! And with the upcoming Alder match i think it shouldn't be used at all! Okay it will take down Emonga but Tynamo should be left Snivy/Servine to kick down!
But I'm hoping that Ash will withdraw her and put up Snivy against tynamo after it crashes Pikachu through the wall!

I hope the writers bring the battles back to the high standard set by DP. I think that using the terrain to whip up a cloud of smoke is a step in that direction.

I agree, alot of battles this season don't really seem like they have much thought put into them. Aside from a few, most of the have been pretty straight-up power oriented. Where the stronger Pokemon wins. The last gym was absolutely terrible..as was the one before it, so here's hoping this one makes up for that. Pikachu being used is a negative, but maybe the execution can save it. Or not.

The Bianca thing kinda bugs me though. I mean Palpitoad is taking out a Pokemon than ran a train of her entire team. Even if that's with a type advantage, it's still rather sad.

So, I'm guessing it's something like this eh.

Gamagaru VS. Zeburaika GAMAGARU
Gamagaru VS. Emonga EMONGA
Tsutarja VS. Emonga EMONGA(Tsutarja is beaten by Kamitsure's speed and type advantage strategy. And she doesn't need a win, if she's using that same pattern of attack and attacks. I mean come on, the only reason she beat Komatana in the Don Battle was because Satoshi got lucky with the terrain, and the same goes for Janobii and Mero Mero. It'd feel really cheap for her to beat Emonga especially when she's beating smacked around like a rag doll with Aerial Ace. Hopefully, this opens the door for her to have huge dispute with Emonga in general and some thing between Iris's and her.)
Pikachu VS. Emonga (Pikachu of course, using Quick Attack and Elekiball but being smacked by a Agility+Elekiball first)
Pikachu VS. Shibibirasu (Pikachu pulls through and wins it with a new move. As gets angered by Shibibirasu and ends up beating it with hard work and strategy)

I like how Pikachu is showing more strive, he's like a player on a football or baseball team. He's begging to be put in in hopes he can turn it all around, and he's coming through in the clutch, and HUGE POINTS for zapping Satoshi.

Last edited:
Man, that Emonga must be tough. It takes on Satoshi's entire team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom