• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

ok I was thinking about making a thread on this but decided against it, but I would like multiple responses to this question. This is for people who soft reset for shinies. I am currently doing it and have done it before but have been unsuccesful, I gave up on a shiny Kyurem after 3 weeks. I am currently doing it again it has been 8 days I think I've been keeping track of my attempts and so far I have attempted it 1,010 times. Do you ever just give up? or do you keep going no matter what? I guess what do you advise for me?
If I were you Id advise you to stick with it, but take breaks when you get tired of resetting for it. You just never know when it'll be that one reset where you encounter it shiny. If you really want it shiny, this is the only way you can get it unless you know how to RNG it to be shiny.

I would capture and soft reset my legendaries and compare their stats. I found it fun to roughly compare their Natures and IV's. However, going simply for shinies offers you no fun.It might help to first know what the "I" and the "E" designate. The "I" stands for "Individual," and the "E" for "Effort." The "V" in both terms stands for "Values."

When calculating/figuring a stat of any pokemon's six stats, there are ultimately 4 things that will determine or have determined it at level one hundred, if all things are calculated/figured: 1, Base stat value (this number is multiplied x2, and +5 is added to it [same for all the stats but HP, where +110 is added])--this precedes all "Effort;" 2, IV's, this precedes training-"Effort;" 3, EV's, this is purely training-"effort;" 4, a pokemon's nature--this is a final multiplier of 1.1, or 110%. (No nature modifies HP, so HP's is ultimately determined by base stat, IV, and EVs.)

Base stat value and how it determines a pokemon's stat is easy to calculate. Mienshao's base Attack is 125. At level 100, if its Attack IV is 0, and it has received less than 4 Attack EVs (more on this below), and it has an Attack-neutral nature, than its attack stat will be 255. (Simply, 125 x2, or 250, plus 5, 255.) Mienshao's base Speed is 105. Assuming the same conditions (0 speed IV, 3 or less speed EVs*, and a neutral speed nature), its Speed at level 100 will be 215. All Mienshao have the same base stats as other Mienshao, and all Gyarados have the same base stats as other Gyarados.

Differing IV's will distinguish all wild pokemon you encounter and pokemon you breed from others of the same species (as will a pokemon's nature**). Every pokemon you encounter and breed will have, for each of its stats, an IV, potentially as high as 31, potentially as low as 0. This value for that stat is "added" onto the stat, or rather, is figured into it. IV's can be determined with surety if your pokemon is at level 100 and has no EV's, or instead if you know what EV's your pokemon has received. If the Mienshao in the above example (level 100, with no EV's and an attack- and speed- neutral nature) had an Attack IV of 22 and a Speed IV of 14 instead, then its attack would be 277 (simply 22 points higher) and its speed would be 229 (simply 14 points higher). I think it's now easy to see how IVs determine a stat.

EV's are all up to the trainer, and whichever pokemon he decides to send a given one of his pokemon against, and how often he does so. When you battle a pokemon with one of your own, your pokemon receives "Effort Value" points in reward. At level one hundred for sure (or else, when all EV's get finally figured in), a pokemon's stat will increase (or, "will have increased") by one point for every 4 Effort Value points it received of that stat. A pokemon can receive as many as 510 EV's for all stats combined, and as many as 255 for any one stat. (As 255 isn't divisible by 4, 252 is the sensible limit. As well, as 510 isn't divisible by 4, 508 is the practical limit, though 510 should be hit anyway.)

All pokemon reward you with EV points for facing them. For instance, Magikarp offers 1 speed EV. If you send in a pokemon with 252+ EV's to spare, and no more than 3 EV's in speed already, against 252 Magikarp consecutively, your pokemon will now have 252-255 speed EV's. Once your EV's register, at level 100, your pokemon's speed (assuming you have a speed-neutral nature) will be 63 points higher than if it hadn't received any speed EVs (i.e., you didn't receive more than 3 EV's of speed through the various pokemon you have battled). When players play through the game with their pokemon, and battle pokemon either in the wild or owned by trainers, they are giving their pokemon EV's, whether they know it or not. People who know about and care about EV training for competitive play will not settle for a completely wild/random EV spread obtained through gameplay. (Not everyone cares about EV's so intensely.)

Lastly, a pokemon's nature will either affect 2 stats, or none at all. A nature that modifies two stats will multiply one by 1.1, or make it 10% higher, and multiply the other one by .9, or make it 10% lower. (Decimals are dropped, so 59 * 1.1 is equal to 64; 60 * 1.1 is equal to 66.) Natures are comprehensive when they multiply stats, and thus multiply the determining effects of IV's and EV's.

~

Other than that, there isn't much to say, except that Hidden Power has its type and power determined by IV's.

~

More answers on the way.

Thanks a lot. It really helped!

I have a few questions: What is NRGing, I have a Rhydon from a different country,what pokemon would be awsome to get shiny. And Is there a way to get starter pokemon in the Dream World yet?

I have a few questions: What is NRGing, I have a Rhydon from a different country,what pokemon would be awsome to get shiny. And Is there a way to get starter pokemon in the Dream World yet?

RNG abuse is a way of getting shiny or Pokemon with good IVs by manipulating the games Random Number Generator.
As long as you breed the foreign Rhydon with a Pokemon in your game in the same egg group, or a Ditto from your game, you can get a shiny.
No theres currently no way to get starters in the Dream World.

Oh and what happens to former HMs that are not in use any more Ex: Defog I know it has data but can it be learned in gen 5?

Oh and what happens to former HMs that are not in use any more Ex: Defog I know it has data but can it be learned in gen 5?

Yes. For example, Swanna learns Defog.

However, a Gen IV Starly with Defog can't be transferred to Black or White. You are forced to delete Defog if you want to transfer the Gen IV Starly to a Gen V game.

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

How do I obtain Spooky Manor and the Eevee form that I previously won from Play to Befriend a Pokemon from the Dream World?

Yes. For example, Swanna learns Defog.

However, a Gen IV Starly with Defog can't be transferred to Black or White. You are forced to delete Defog if you want to transfer the Gen IV Starly to a Gen V game.

But isn't that only if the move is an HM in said game that is trying to transfer the pokemon?
Like if you were to trade said Starly with Defog to HG/SS then transfer, wouldn't it let you?

i may be right, i may be wrong. its 5am and i have yet to sleep :X

How do I obtain Spooky Manor and the Eevee form that I previously won from Play to Befriend a Pokemon from the Dream World?
To go to Spooky Manor just enter the Dream Isle and you have a random chance of ending up there.

As for the Eeveelution; if you haven't sent yours to the Entree Forest already, then unfortunately, it's too late.

To go to Spooky Manor just enter the Dream Isle and you have a random chance of ending up there.

Oh, so I don't actually have to download Spooky Manor? Or do I first?

Also, I was supposed to send my Eeveelution to the Entree Forest *after* the game was taken down? Or, if I already beat the game, was that done automatically? If it was, then where do I find it?

Last edited:

It's an automatic expansion, just go across the Rainbow Bridge and you have a chance of ending up there like the forest/sky/sea.

But isn't that only if the move is an HM in said game that is trying to transfer the pokemon?
Like if you were to trade said Starly with Defog to HG/SS then transfer, wouldn't it let you?

i may be right, i may be wrong. its 5am and i have yet to sleep :X

If it's an HM in the game you're transferring from, it can't be transferred.

So if it know Defog(DPt) or Whirlpool(HGSS), it has to have it deleted before you can transfered.

Also, I was supposed to send my Eeveelution to the Entree Forest *after* the game was taken down? Or, if I already beat the game, was that done automatically? If it was, then where do I find it?
Once you had completed the game and it was taken down, there was a notification tab in the Promotions part of the site, if you clicked on that, you would have sent your Eeveelution to the Entree Forest. However, iirc, the promotion has since ended.

Pokedex 3D question: I have 111 Pokemon unlocked so far, but Spotpass stopped unlocking them about a week ago. I know I have a few dozen left. Is Pokedex 3D supposed to stop when you get to that number, or do I have to fix my connections?

I've already gotten the male Unfezant, female Frillish/ Jellicent, Pan/Simisage and Autumn Deerling/ Sawsbuck, so those are taken care of, but there's many evolution lines that everyone's supposed to get that still haven't downloaded to mine.

My Spotpass itself still works because I still get Nintendo Video updated.

Pokedex 3D question: I have 111 Pokemon unlocked so far, but Spotpass stopped unlocking them about a week ago. I know I have a few dozen left. Is Pokedex 3D supposed to stop when you get to that number, or do I have to fix my connections?

I've already gotten the male Unfezant, female Frillish/ Jellicent, Pan/Simisage and Autumn Deerling/ Sawsbuck, so those are taken care of, but there's many evolution lines that everyone's supposed to get that still haven't downloaded to mine.

My Spotpass itself still works because I still get Nintendo Video updated.

I believe in order to unlock the rest of the non-version exclusive lines, you have to be collecting stickers from the AR markers (both scanning and photo stickers). Try taking photos of all the markers of the Pokémon you have (note: you don't need to save the photos), and then you should start receiving the rest.

Re: Rebattling trainers in Pokemon Crystal

Recently I decided to play again Crystal. I've had rematch with every trainer who gives his number. Except four: Blackbelt Kenji, Pokefan Beverly, Juggler Irwin, Pokefan Derek.
Is it possible to rebattle them? It should be - their rematch teams are listed on Bulbapedia. Yet, I don't know anyone who successfully did it.
Are there any special requirements I should met before they call me?
When I use the trick with changing DST they tell me the same thing over and over again.
So, has anyone ever managed to rebattle them?

Okay, why do the moves pokemon learn by lvl. up lvls. change between generations?

Okay, why do the moves pokemon learn by lvl. up lvls. change between generations?

Mainly because new moves are added to the movepool, and they have to be accomodated.

I believe in order to unlock the rest of the non-version exclusive lines, you have to be collecting stickers from the AR markers (both scanning and photo stickers). Try taking photos of all the markers of the Pokémon you have (note: you don't need to save the photos), and then you should start receiving the rest.

Do I have to scan the AR markers of all the ones I haven't gotten yet?

What do you do in Black City?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom